Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 05:39 AM   #21
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
I work for an equipment company. I 100% vouch for the comment above that once the word “lawyer” comes up, the whole support system freezes in its tracks. Do people still sue us? Sure. But does anyone ever end up happy in the end. I don’t think I’ve ever seen smiles after a real lawsuit has begun. If you’re talking issues with equipment you’ll be better off continuing to cheerfully pester the dealer and Keystone. If you legitimately have a concern, at Lear you have a chance of resolution. If you however have really been cheated, or you have been put in harms way with no action, you might need to go ahead and get the lawyers fired up. But just know the systems to help you will be completely stopped until the lawyers and courts direct the next steps. . That’s unfortunate but reality.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #22
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I will say it one more time. Carefully choose a dealer FIRST before your eyes glaze over from looking at the eye candy on the lot. A good dealer will take care of you and you'll never have to be concerned with the manufacturer.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Jeff has been MIA for over a week now with only one post . I'm guessing he did not hear what he wanted and doesn't want to disclose the issue or really get it fixed. Too bad.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #24
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Resolution

I started this just looking for some info on contacting a lawyer, blowing off steam. As time went on I was contacted by Keystone and we have resolved our issues and I'm still a fan. I'm not sure if someone in the club tipped them off or they saw the post but it all worked out.
Thanks,
Keep on camping my friends!
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sometimes it takes time for the wheels to turn. Glad to hear it is working out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #26
JanCouch
Established Member

M.O.C. #24632
You’ve got us interested. We’d still like to know the problem and how it was fixed. I might still be having the same one.
JanCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #27
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Personally, I'm glad you did NOT get a Lawyer involved. No one "really" wins when Lawyers get involved.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #28
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Never asked for resolution of my problem just looking for contact info. My settlement requires me to remain quite about all issues, so all is well.
Keep campin my friends!
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #29
meagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #27563
I believe that there should be robust lemon laws for RV's. Currently we have the Magnusom-Moss Warranty Federal Act that has been used with limited success. Recently, in Oregon, using Oregon's lemon laws a large settlement was ordered against Newmar and Guaranty RV for multiple and repeated warranty unresolved problems. If there are strong lemon laws in each state you will see much much better customer service and a higher quality product leaving the factory. It is time for RV's to have the same manufacturing controls and regulations as the auto industry.
meagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #30
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagle View Post
...It is time for RV's to have the same manufacturing controls and regulations as the auto industry.
Be prepared then for even higher priced RV's rolling off the assembly line then.

That's the trade off. More attention to detail at the manufacturing plant = higher cost for the consumer.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #31
meagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #27563
I would certainly be willing to pay extra to see the poor quality that is found in the RV industry as a whole improve. Also, those companies who could not compete in quality and cost would soon be gone. It is about time for this to happen.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #32
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagle View Post
I believe that there should be robust lemon laws for RV's. Currently we have the Magnusom-Moss Warranty Federal Act that has been used with limited success. Recently, in Oregon, using Oregon's lemon laws a large settlement was ordered against Newmar and Guaranty RV for multiple and repeated warranty unresolved problems. If there are strong lemon laws in each state you will see much much better customer service and a higher quality product leaving the factory. It is time for RV's to have the same manufacturing controls and regulations as the auto industry.
I agree. Customer protections are very limited. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2020 and 2021models with more warranty issues than before just because of the volume they are trying to push out the door, and the limited labor supply in the manufacturing area. Keystone is famous for their lack of warranty support. I wish more people could take their warranty repairs back to the factory. You might see quality control go up to try to lower all the warranty work. I’m not for lots of government regulations but the RV industry is a prime example of why they are sometimes necessary to protect the public.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #33
meagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #27563
I agree with what you said. I've ordered a new Montana 3121RL with the Legacy package and full body paint. I am a little apprehensive about the quality and service during our unique times. When I was choosing the dealer I interviewed the service manager, read their service reviews, and toured their service department before negotiating and placing the order. I have owned RV's for well over 30 years and know too well how a new unit can come from the factory. My last fifth wheel was a Landmark. The first year was nothing but a mess and a hassle due to the numerous factory issues. Fortunately I had a good service department to work with. Hopefully my new Montana fifth wheel won't have too many issues.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #34
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Be prepared then for even higher priced RV's rolling off the assembly line then.

That's the trade off. More attention to detail at the manufacturing plant = higher cost for the consumer.
I disagree. The market has a lot of cost control. They would also see cost reduction in warranty repairs. They also would be forced to manage their business better and diversify their manufacturing. Cost from regulations doesn’t automatically translate into higher prices, or significantly higher prices. It does, of course, depend on the type of regulation and how stringent they are. It is all relative to the amount and type of regulation. In the case of RV production, it is obvious it requires some. With Thor dominating so much of the industry, it is time for some consumer protection.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #35
R121

M.O.C. #25087
Lawyer

We also have had several issues with our 330rl. Still in the shop, 9 weeks, very little communication. Contacted Keystone, manager called from Camping World. All they say is they're working on our slide. Sent pics this time.
R121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #36
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If the units left the Factory better built, we wouldn't have to spend all the money we do re-building them.
Would rather pay more up front and get full use of the purchase, rather than months in somebodies shop.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If most people or almost all people had the choice of two equal products at the same price they would choose the cheapest. You can’t look at them and tell which is going to give less trouble. The camper that gave less trouble would have a better reputation here but we are a tiny minority of the people who own and buy campers. People who buy campers look at price first or monthly payments first.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The factory warranty for the Montana is one year.. maybe two? after that it is on you. We purchased ESP's for our Montana's and our tow vehicle.

Helen and I sold RVs at our local Rv show The two questions that are most commonly asked are can my ???? pull it and what are the monthly payments. Eight out of 10 buyers pay the listed RV show price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #39
meagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #27563
I would like to see a "consumer reports" for RV's. I would most certainly pick the one with less problems, even if I had to pay more. The RV industry needs to be regulated like the auto industry and each state to have strong lemon laws for RV's. If that were to happen and a consumer could see the reliability of the different brands you would not see someone with their RV tied up at a dealer for 9 weeks like R121 has.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #40
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Tell me if I’m wrong but when I bought our Montana I determined that almost all of the parts are made by other companies. The frame, slide mechanism, appliances, etc. So I looked at the differences in build quality of the box, level of quality of the parts and pieces, and finish quality.

I learned a lot of it right on this forum. So I bought with disk brakes, Sailun ties, heat pump etc that were important to me. It certainly seems like there are only a few frames that everyone uses so the floor plans offered by each company are about the same. I chose Montana and am happy with it.