Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Wireless Rear Camera Antenna Extension

Last year I bought a wireless backup camera from Tadi Brothers. At one time, as a test run while at an RV park, I was able to get a good picture on the companion monitor in my truck. I wasn’t able to complete the installation at the time, and finally had it done locally a few months ago. However, the picture froze most of time as I drove back to the storage facility — presumably because the wireless signal wasn’t strong enough. Tadi provided a 10’ extension wire I can attach to the camera, I think, and then install the rigid antenna somewhere on the roof of the Monty. I’m at a loss about:
1) How to run the wire across the roof and fasten it down. Is there some kind of tape I can use to secure the wire, at least temporarily?
2) Where and how to secure the antenna on the roof. I don’t think a magnetic base came with it (and I’m not sure there’s any place to use one on the roof, anyway).

Appreciate your wisdom, and I give extra credit for pictures!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D4C302A-5A3A-44D3-96A1-4C4E775A01F5.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	14562  

DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Best of luck! Three of us bought Tadi cameras at Quartzsite in the big tent. We all had the pixelation problem. We then bought antenna extension cables. I used non-sag Dicor to hold down the cable wire. I used a 90 Degree PVC elbow to hold the antenna with copious amounts of non-sag Dicor to hold it all in place. My antenna had a long cord which almost reached the front of the RV. I hooked it all up and the picture still cut in and out while driving down the road.

I removed the Tadi (anyone interested of a good deal on a Tadi back up camera set up?) and bought one off of Amazon (based on recommendations from here on the MOC)). It works well sitting with no antenna extension. It does cut in/out intermittently going down the road. It seems the faster you go, the more it cuts out (I am pretty sure I am no where close to going at the speed of light). But my primary use was for backing into RV spots (and my storage area) and the picture is steady at that speed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I bought a VisionWorks camera from Techno RV.com maybe 2 years ago to replace the low res OEM Furrion system.
Sitting still in my driveway the picture is awesome…but while I am moving - it looses signal really bad (same as Carl described). I called VisionWorks and they sent me an “extension” antenna to mount ~25’ closer to my truck cab. I think the antenna base was peel and stick (sorry but I can’t remember exactly but it has not moved). I cut some eternabond tape to 1” wide strips and stuck it down over the coax cable about every 3’ or so to hold the cable in place. I zip tied it to the ladder along the back. Bottom line…marginal improvement in reception.

There is a guy that has a YouTube channel (Jerry at I Love RV Life) and he owns a 2022 Montana 3931FB. He has a video on a camera with 2 antennas by Haloview (BT model) and he says it works well with our LONG units. Search for this video on YouTube (screen shot below).I will probably buy one of these when my money tree grows a new limb someday. The VisionWorks will go to Craigslist or the trash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	14567  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
Summitstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #28731
Here's some info I posted when I installed my camera - In addition to what's posted below, it came with about 20 cable ties with adhesive squares that would stick to the roof membrane if I wanted to run the cable the full length of the camper.

From my previous post -
Thought I would share my recent install. I had a Furrion camera on my previous 5th wheel - it worked OK but not always great. The new Montana was pre-wired for the Furrion - After quite a bit of research, I went with the 7" Haloview Range dominator - with the mini camera. It mounts right to the pre-installed furrion camera holder. I also purchased the two side cameras and the license plate camera that I will mount on the front of the truck. That complete system was less that the Furrion Obersevation camera.
Initial impressions - the equipment seems to be built very well. Easy install. Immediate pairing with the screen, great picture and it records on an SD card.
I specifically purchased the range dominator package as I wanted the signal power booster and not just the antenna on top of the camera. Although the package comes with a 12 meter cable to run on the roof and mount the booster up front, I initially mounted the booster on the rear of the camper with the antenna over the roof line. This provides a better signal forward. I'll be testing as I travel and if I find the signal not strong enough, I can always add the cable and move the booster.
Overall, very pleased with the equipment. Pic below shows the rear install. A bit of "Function over Form" - but the system works great.
Hope this info is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210613_112603659.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	14573  
Old 05-19-2023, 09:08 AM   #5
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
I bought the Haloview BT7 Mike referenced above.
Install was easy (plug and play). No wires to attach to rv.
The monitor is on the dash about 50 feet away from the camera. So far, no issues.
The only possible con is: the marker lights have to be on for the camera to have power. However, I don't use have it on while driving down the highway, only in city traffic and backing.
I know this does not answer your question, but maybe provides you with another option.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 07:10 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay I have a hard wired Ford OEM backup camera. It is pricey, but I got it from someone selling one on the Ford forums. If your truck has that option it may be a better way to go.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #7
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Thanks for all the input so far. The Haloview BT7 looks like a good option. The install process is a bit much for me as I recover from one hip replacement and get ready for another. I can use that as a convenient excuse for now, but the truth is, I’d just rather have it installed by someone who knows what they’re doing! I’m traveling through Elkhart in a couple weeks, and I wonder if, with the population of RV experts there, I can find some shop who sells and installs camera systems — or would be willing to install one I buy online.
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:38 PM   #8
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
We have been using the BT7 system with the back up camera and the two side cameras on our camper for about 4 months, and I love it. It doesn’t cut out, etc, and the picture is as good as can be expected for wireless. The side cameras not only help with lane changes, etc., but they are super helpful for the blindside when backing into a camping spot.

Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #9
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Haloview

I installed a Haloview system on our rig. So far, all 3 cameras have failed in less than 2 years! They replaced the first camera as it failed in under a year. Not real happy. Not real sure I will continue with then, looking for other options.