Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
What would you do?

We're leaving from Central Indiana on December 26 and heading to Louisiana with the camper for over 3 months. The distance one way is over 850 miles.

My Chevy Silverado Dually Diesel long bed is due for an oil change in 2000 miles. Please note: I do not do my own servicing on my vehicles. I stopped doing that 50 years ago. I'm a darn good carpenter, but a lousy mechanic.

Anyway, in our travels and journeys I have always been able to be back in Central Indiana when it came time for oil changes and scheduled maintenance needs. I have my local GM dealer / GM Truck Service Center that I trust, and I've had a 50 year relationship with them.

So my quandary, and a "what would you do?" question.

1) Would go get the oil change done now, 2000 miles early so you know the service technicians and their past history, and have 100% confidence in them to do the work, and do it right.

2) Go ahead and leave, and recruit a GM service center at your trip destination once the odometer hits those remaining 2000 miles, not knowing the reputation of the dealership / repair center, or how well the treat non-local customers, or the quality of their work?

3) Hold off on getting the oil change until you returned home in April and most definately would be past the 2000 miles (probably past the 2000 miles by a thousand or fifteen hundred by the time we get done running around over the 3 months in Louisiana).

I will be towing the Montana both directions. It will be parked on a campsite for the 3 months, and the truck is our only run-around transportation once there. What would you do about the oil change? Why? again, I'm not doing it myself.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:10 PM   #2
Rigdon

M.O.C. #33439
Oil change

We full-time so getting two oil services done by the same dealer iss rare. We would do the Louisiana trip and then oil change before heading back just make sure it's for your upcoming climates as some do a light weight oil for up north
Rigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
thedinobots
Established Member

M.O.C. #33672
Oil changes are really so simple, any reputable dealer or diesel shop should do a perfectly fine job and I wouldn’t worry about needing to feel like I have a trusted tech doing it. For more major services sure, but an oil change, not a big deal. I’d do it in LA.
thedinobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Going over a few hundred miles or a thousand isn’t going to hurt your truck. I wouldn’t worry it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have oil changes done on schedule where ever I am. The only problem I ever had was when my home town, selling dealer, who I have bought and used from for 20 years, cross threaded the oil pan plug. It was found at the next oil change (in WA). They replaced the oil pan, gave it to me, and I, in turn gave it to my local dealer when I returned home. My dealer reimbursed me for the cost of the oil pan and threw in a free oil chnage.

Oh yea, I quit doing my own oil changes a while ago.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #6
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I changed my oil just before I left for Florida 2 weeks ago, it will last until I get home in April. I ran that oil about 1000 miles over what I would usually so that it would be changed just before we leave. Running it past due a little or changing a little early is no big deal. I do my own so I know what oil is going in, that no knock off filters are used and some kid doesn’t use an impact gun on the plug. I have a buddy that burns the oil in a waste oil heater in his shop.
You can change it now, early, or when you get home, a little late. Won’t hurt anything, your call.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Two questions:
1- Current mileage on the oil
2- What type Oil is in it now? Reg Dino or 100% Synthetic

I just recently went approx 1500 mile past the DIC message, but wasn't worried as 100% Synthetic is good for way more miles than the DIC info.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:06 PM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedinobots View Post
Oil changes are really so simple, any reputable dealer or diesel shop should do a perfectly fine job and I wouldn’t worry about needing to feel like I have a trusted tech doing it. For more major services sure, but an oil change, not a big deal. I’d do it in LA.
You would think!
I’ve always done my own maintenance, but a few years ago after just completing cancer treatments. My wife’s car needed an oil change and I was way to weak to even think about doing it myself. Her car used an uncommon oil spec that I figured that most quick lube places wouldn’t have but I knew that PepBoys did. So, I accompanied her to the store and shuffled my way in with my new best friend “the walker”. I could clearly see our car from the waiting area and got nervous when the “mechanic” kept going back and forth to his tool box. I knew something was wrong when he grabbed a hammer! I immediately went to the service manager and asked what’s going on. He told me that they had messed up the drain plug trying to remove it but not to worry as they were going to get a new one off the shelf. Anyway they got the oil changed and said all was good. NOT��. When it came time for its next oil change I put the car up on my lift and spent the next thirty minutes trying to remove the mangled up drain plug that they supposedly replaced!
So apparently not just anyone can do an oil change!!
Old 12-09-2023, 03:40 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I made the mistake once of having my wife's Expedition oil changed at a 10 minute oil change place. Found out a month later that they had removed the cap and let out about a pound of refrigerant from the air conditioner.
No one had been under that hood but me since the car was purchased until they did the oil change. The cap was found lying on the top of the motor.
Put dye in and replaced the refrigerant. No leaks. I guess they were hoping I would return and pay them to do that too.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:38 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Obviously you are concerned about it thus the post. If I were that concerned and have that much faith in your local dealership I'd go ahead and get it changed next week and enjoy the rest of the holidays. It will be one less thing you have to be concerned with during your trip.
Old 12-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thank-you all for your feed back. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

The comments by Theunz and RMcNeal, and Carl n Susan... got my attention and spotlighted my biggest concern. My mechanic knows I'll be returning with my vehicle for future service. So, if they mess something up (like a beat up oil drain plug), they know I'll be coming back to them and then THEY will be the ones attempting to remove it, not me!) So if they beat-it-up, or do it wrong, they know they will be the ones "eventually" fix it. Plus, they always replace parts with genuine GM parts. I never have to worry about that.

Rigdon mentioned the climate change differences. I did not thing about that. But I do know, the LP (Propane) gas filled in my camper propane tanks is a different blend in the Southern US states and the Northern US states. So, this makes sense.

thedinobots makes a good point about the simplicity of an oil change, but even simple things can get messed up, as pointed out by the bad experiences others had. I just leary.

As mlh, MandK, and mhs4771 indicated, going over, won't hurt anything, or going under.

To answer mhs4771 question about the type of oil, it's not synthetic, but it is a 5000 miles oil. Actually, I'm not real sure what they put in it. (brand).

But after sitting on these thoughts over night, I think jimcol hit the nail right on the head. It all boils down to my own comfort level. I purchase only 1 lottery ticket a week (Powerball), because I enjoy the play, but I am NOT a gambler. I don't like to take risks. I can afford $2 a week. But I refuse to go deeper!

Anyway, I seriously considered my "comfort level" and realized this would gnaw away at me like a termite chewing on soft yellow pine in the walls of a house and would be a constant source of concern for the entire trip.

So, I called my repair shop and talked to my guy "John" the service manager and explained my upcoming plans. He recommended getting the oil change done before leaving. He will also inspect the truck carefully, check tires, and top off all fluids, make sure the truck is in tip-top shape (which is is already, but another set of eyes is always good).

I suppose he recommended doing the oil change now, before we left, so he'd get the business. If I did the oil change in Louisiana, my business for that event would go somewhere else. The nice thing about my shop, they do take care of their repeat customers.

He did not think towing the trailer 850 miles over due on an oil change in April was a wise thing to do.

So, I made an appointment for Friday, December 15 to get it done.

And oh ... for what it's worth regarding the percentage displayed on the DIC (instrument panel in the truck) regarding the oil change schedule?..... Here's something you might not know.

That percentage is calculated based on the number of times the engine starts. It is not a percentage based on the number of miles driven. You can drive 100 miles since the last oil change, but if you have started the engine 2000 times, your percentage could show 0% remaining. (however it's calculated based on the number of engine starts). So, I never go by the DIC percentage. I always go by mileage.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:38 AM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Having been a mechanic (in another life) for 19 years, there are a couple factors.
  1. How many miles are on the truck. High miles I'd recommend changing. Low miles you should be fine.
  2. The trip. Flat highway or elevation changes. If you're climbing mountains, I'd recommend a change.
  3. If you're running full synthetic you should be fine.
In the end it's up to you. An early oil change is good insurance.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:22 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Having been a mechanic (in another life) for 19 years, there are a couple factors.
  1. How many miles are on the truck. High miles I'd recommend changing. Low miles you should be fine.
  2. The trip. Flat highway or elevation changes. If you're climbing mountains, I'd recommend a change.
  3. If you're running full synthetic you should be fine.
In the end it's up to you. An early oil change is good insurance.
1) .... 91,000 (truck is 10 years old), almost all of that (save maybe 15,000 miles of that) was done towing a camper.
2) .... Indiana, Louisiana, and Mississippi will be relatively flat. Kentucky and Tennessee will have long graded low mountain driving.
3) .... I'm not using synthetic.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:41 PM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
1) .... 91,000 (truck is 10 years old), almost all of that (save maybe 15,000 miles of that) was done towing a camper.
2) .... Indiana, Louisiana, and Mississippi will be relatively flat. Kentucky and Tennessee will have long graded low mountain driving.
It’s just an oil change. I wouldn’t worry about it. If you use a local dealer of your truck brand when your oil change is due, wherever you are, you should be fine. I am a bit surprised you are not using synthetic oil. Unless you specify non synthetic oil when you get your local oil change, you may be using synthetic oil and not realize it. Many dealers use their private brand of synthetic oil which meets all their vehicle specs. I would double check to see if your dealer hasn’t been using synthetic oil in your truck. If not, I would switch to synthetic which is better for your older truck. Happy trails.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:43 PM   #15
PilotEd
Established Member

M.O.C. #18090
Do #2.
PilotEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:35 PM   #16
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Do an oil change Dutch. Worth the expense for a 4 state trek.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:22 AM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Follow-up report:

I had the oil change done this morning. I do feel at ease. I suppose that is worth all it's weight in gold in the long run.

For what it's worth, I got the oil change and oil filter change. I had them top off all my fluids, including DEF. They checked all my filters, put the truck up on a lift and inspected everything on the underside, they checked my tires carefully for cracks and tread depty, aired them up to the max since I'm towing 14,000 pounds and those inside tires on the dualy are near impossible to do myself, inspected my fifth wheel hitch and torqued all the bolts including the rails and the frame that hold the rails on- on the underside side attached to the main frame. They inspected the muffler system carefully, and even checked the wiring at the 7 pin plug for cracks and wear that could cause shorts. In other words, they gave the truck a good look-over. Everything checked out great, except for topping off the fluids a little.

So all is good. Except for throwing in a change of clothes and our perishable foods, we're all ready to head South on December 26.

My beard has come in completely full, about 1/2 - 3/4 inch long now, getting myself ready so I can be properly period dressed and look the part for an 1821 Louisiana Plantation gentleman? Tour guides have to look SHARP you know!

My wife says, I'm having too much fun with all of this, and we haven't even left home yet!
Old 12-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #18
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Follow-up report:

I had the oil change done this morning. I do feel at ease. I suppose that is worth all it's weight in gold in the long run.

For what it's worth, I got the oil change and oil filter change. I had them top off all my fluids, including DEF. They checked all my filters, put the truck up on a lift and inspected everything on the underside, they checked my tires carefully for cracks and tread depty, aired them up to the max since I'm towing 14,000 pounds and those inside tires on the dualy are near impossible to do myself, inspected my fifth wheel hitch and torqued all the bolts including the rails and the frame that hold the rails on- on the underside side attached to the main frame. They inspected the muffler system carefully, and even checked the wiring at the 7 pin plug for cracks and wear that could cause shorts. In other words, they gave the truck a good look-over. Everything checked out great, except for topping off the fluids a little.

So all is good. Except for throwing in a change of clothes and our perishable foods, we're all ready to head South on December 26.

My beard has come in completely full, about 1/2 - 3/4 inch long now, getting myself ready so I can be properly period dressed and look the part for an 1821 Louisiana Plantation gentleman? Tour guides have to look SHARP you know!

My wife says, I'm having too much fun with all of this, and we haven't even left home yet!
That's the whole reason right? Have fun?
Old 12-16-2023, 05:25 AM   #19
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Could have had the oil changed in Louisiana. You would just need to ask you mechanic forgiveness. Flowers and chocolate will help
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote