Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
d1999aads
Established Member

M.O.C. #20626
Warped drums???

HI, In Moab Utah and have a major issue.... Traveling down I-70 8 mile hill my trailer brakes started to pulse. I believe we have warped the drums on the trailer.. truck is fine as i tested without the trailer... I went under the trailer and checked for any broken or bolts missing and everything looks fine. Need to find a RV repair that can get new drums and install or any suggestions on what i should look for. Please any help is appreciated!!

Should have said wobble when stepping on the brakes down the 8% grade... when i took my foot off the brake it was fine.... sorry for the clarification...

New Saliuns g-ply
d1999aads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You may just have one or more wheel bearing grease seals that have leaked grease onto your brake shoes ... one in a hundred idea, but possible.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Does your 5th wheel pull to one side or the other when you apply the brakes? I had this happen on my 2016 3160 and I had a brake shoe spring slip off its mount. Worth checking.

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Anything is possible, warped from heat, grease on the shoes, and there might be other reasons. That's why I religiously use the exhaust brake system on the truck, and also upgraded to the disc brake system on the trailer. If all your drums are warped, you will probably need to replace all the other components, namely the backing plate assemblies, and the bearings will be part of the drum assemblies. This might be the time to seriously consider upgrading to disc brakes on the trailer, won't be that much more compared to all the normal parts needed if the drums are bad.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #5
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
If you feel the pulsing at the truck's brake foot pedal, I would probably eliminate the trailer as the source of the problem. Are you positive you didn't feel the anti lock feature of your truck's braking system making a pulsation? The trailer usually doesn't provide much feedback through the hitch other than a sense of drag when the the brakes are applied. If you had the gain turned way down on the truck's brake controller, the truck's brakes would have to do the stopping, which could activate the anti lock wheel sensors on the truck. Unhook the trailer and the pulsing would be gone. The fact this happened on a 8 mile down hill section further makes me believe your truck was doing the stopping.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote