Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I have the same generator and use it externally - exhaust and hot air (cooling from the engine) come out the back. I don't see where one could safely divert either - especially the Carbon Monoxide. Also, it is my understanding from reading the manual that you can use either the 30 amp (three pin plug) or the 120/240 plug (4 pin plug) but not both at the same time. I use the 4-pin plug feeding to my 50 amp cord and I get power to both legs of my coach at 30 amps total available. Maybe a bit more as I have not measured each leg.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #22
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
The exhaust is easy to divert I posted pictures in this thread when I had my old truck and inverters in the back. You’re right the heat that comes off the engine would also need to be diverted, and there is need to get large amounts of fresh air in that area. The onan is a bottom breather and set up that way. Might need a fan set up to bring cool air in and hot air out.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #23
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
There is no safe way of mounting a generator that is meant for outside use and put it in the confined area like the front of the Montana. Both the exhaust and the heat from the running engine would be to much to try to exhaust out of the front of the Monte. Since you already have the Honda 7000, I would suggest like other here and mount it in your truck bed ahead of the hitch. It would get plenty of air for cooling the engine and the exhaust can be vented out via a modified exhaust pipe going above the bed. You can also install a second power cord hookup in the front of your Monte and a cut-off switch to make it easier to hook power from the generator to the unit rather than run a cord all the way to the back of the Monte. If you sold the 7000, I'm sure you would loose money on the deal and then have to buy either a smaller genny or even two of them. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #24
wadek01

M.O.C. #27194
Exhaust

You could get something like this as well.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-g...tem-14041.html

I've thought about adding a generator and I personally would get a hitch mounted cargo rack and bolt a generator to it. That way you can always use the generator other places as needed.
wadek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #25
Photomonjax
Established Member

M.O.C. #18178
I have the Honda 7000 and mount it on a cargo carrier. You will have to get a hitch built for it as the factory hitch can not carry the weight. Also be aware that the generator cannot be left uncovered in any weather. Good luck
Photomonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
wadek01

M.O.C. #27194
Zombie Box

Mount your 7000 in a Zombie Box.
Attached Images

wadek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #27
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
There is no safe way of mounting a generator that is meant for outside use and put it in the confined area like the front of the Montana. Both the exhaust and the heat from the running engine would be to much to try to exhaust out of the front of the Monte. Since you already have the Honda 7000, I would suggest like other here and mount it in your truck bed ahead of the hitch. It would get plenty of air for cooling the engine and the exhaust can be vented out via a modified exhaust pipe going above the bed. You can also install a second power cord hookup in the front of your Monte and a cut-off switch to make it easier to hook power from the generator to the unit rather than run a cord all the way to the back of the Monte. If you sold the 7000, I'm sure you would loose money on the deal and then have to buy either a smaller genny or even two of them. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
The advice I received convinced me to rethink the situation and need for this specific generator. Considering my situation, brand new to the RV world, brand new to my 5’er, brand new to towing, got no clue what I’m doing, I choose to follow the majority here. I cancelled the purchase prior to arrival and will use my Honda eu2000is with companion unit until I figure out if it is adequate or not. I also have solar and two 6 volt batteries. I’m hoping to boondock more often than not. Once I have some miles under my belt I will revisit this keeping in mind that exhausting the heat and gasses is extremely important as is retaining usable space for necessary gear. I’ll give this some time to sort itself out. I’m just not sure how much of an issue I have yet until I’ve done this for a while. I totally appreciate all the great advice I’ve received!
Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #28
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Good to take it slow, I’m installing a the lp onan now the Honda 7000 is just a little cheaper than the onan, food for thought. Good luck !!

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 10-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #29
Dan50
Established Member

M.O.C. #2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Don View Post
I’ve seen lots of folks running a generator on board. Not so sure why this would be that much different. A simple exhaust out the side or through the floor should fix that problem wouldn’t it? Also there’s plenty of air circulation on the underside of the fifth wheel where I’m going to be putting it. I guess I’m not understanding why my particular generator would be so much different than the Onan generator’s I see others installing.

The Cummins Onan generators you are referring to are designed to be used in the front enclosures of fifth-wheel RVs. They draw their fresh air and expel their exhaust through the bottom of the factory-installed Generator prep enclosure. The Onan is designed to run inside the enclosed with the door shut and not overheat or suffer any ill effects. Your Honda is not.
Wiring is already installed as well as a remote starting switch on the inside of the fifth.
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #30
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post
The Cummins Onan generators you are referring to are designed to be used in the front enclosures of fifth wheel RVs. They draw their fresh air and expell their exhaust through the bottom of the factory installed Generator prep enclosed. The Onan is designed to run inside the enclosed with the door shut and not over heat or suffer any ill affects. Your Honda is not.
Wiring is already installed as well as a remote starting switch on the inside of the fifth.
Good info. Too bad my dealer didn’t spell it out like that. The service department could’ve saved me the effort. Ah well, learning plenty on this forum.
Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #31
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
If you have 220V on your generator, you SHOULD be able to run your 50A cord and both sides of your RV panel. All your 50A is = 2/50A legs of 110V if I'm not mistaken. As long as you have 2 hots, a Neutral and a ground.

Mark
Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #32
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post
The Cummins Onan generators you are referring to are designed to be used in the front enclosures of fifth wheel RVs. They draw their fresh air and expell their exhaust through the bottom of the factory installed Generator prep enclosed. The Onan is designed to run inside the enclosed with the door shut and not over heat or suffer any ill affects. Your Honda is not.
Not to mention that if he successfully vented/exhausted it, then he would have to overcome ease of fueling it and access to maintenance items, like a simple oil change.

Onans are built like whole house generators and meant to be in an enclosure. Portable generators are not.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:08 AM   #33
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
I have the two small Honda generators, store then in the front compartment when traveling and I just tuck them under the rig a little when they are hooked up. I use the 30A recep with a dog bone on my 50A cable. I noticed that my batteries don't charge when running the generator. I was boondocking for 4 days and the solar panel did the best it could but the batteries were just a little more run down each day. A neighbor finally figured it out for me (I think!). He said with the 30A, I'm only getting one hot leg and the charger is probably on the other leg. Makes sense, but I haven't confirmed it. Anyway, be aware of this possibility when using the Honda 2000s, or any other 30A gen for that matter.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:51 AM   #34
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I have the two small Honda generators, store then in the front compartment when traveling and I just tuck them under the rig a little when they are hooked up. I use the 30A recep with a dog bone on my 50A cable. I noticed that my batteries don't charge when running the generator. I was boondocking for 4 days and the solar panel did the best it could but the batteries were just a little more run down each day. A neighbor finally figured it out for me (I think!). He said with the 30A, I'm only getting one hot leg and the charger is probably on the other leg. Makes sense, but I haven't confirmed it. Anyway, be aware of this possibility when using the Honda 2000s, or any other 30A gen for that matter.
You may have a bad dog bone - it should split the power to both legs. You can tell if your converter is running by checking the battery voltage.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a MH with an Onan 4000 watt generator. I don’t like the Onan and though I would replace it with a Harbor Freight 3500 watt generator. I could never find a way to get fuel and air in and exhaust out safely or how to do maintenance on it. How do I check or change the oil or air filter?
I still have the Onan. It’s noisy, vibrates the camper and required major work at 37 hours of operation. The one thing I could have done was mount the Harbor Freight generator on the trailer hitch.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #36
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Doesn't sound right to me. My batteries charge on the 30A generator. It shouldn't matter from 50A to 30A.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I have a MH with an Onan 4000 watt generator. I don’t like the Onan and though I would replace it with a Harbor Freight 3500 watt generator. I could never find a way to get fuel and air in and exhaust out safely or how to do maintenance on it. How do I check or change the oil or air filter?
I still have the Onan. It’s noisy, vibrates the camper and required major work at 37 hours of operation. The one thing I could have done was mount the Harbor Freight generator on the trailer hitch.
Lynwood
Ok so I just had an idea, no I’m sure it’s not all worked out but here it goes. Create a winch system in the front area. With the floor cut out mount the 3500 on the piece of steel from there you would be able to raise it when not in use and lower when in use. I’m sure you would need to figure out how to keep it from moving maybe by means of a tiedown, waterproofing would need to be considered. I’m sure there is much more but just a random thought.

Tony
Old 10-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #38
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Something like this, old truck old set up
Love your exhaust setup. I have the same generator sitting sideways between my toolbox and hitch. I have been using my gas grill to try to divert the worst of the exhaust over the side of the bed but it is still getting uncomfortably hot when running hard with the front AC going.

I'm going to copy yours. Thank you for posting the picture.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #39
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
[QUOTE=R.S.O'Donnell;1201775]Love your exhaust setup. I have the same generator sitting sideways between my toolbox and hitch. I have been using my gas grill to try to divert the worst of the exhaust over the side of the bed but it is still getting uncomfortably hot when running hard with the front AC going.

I'm going to copy yours. Thank you for posting

Welcome. I got the parts from Amazon. 1 inch flexible exhaust hose with 1 inch exhaust clamp. You still have the heat from the engine but at least the exhaust is diverted.

Tony
Old 10-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #40
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
[QUOTE=Last2Die;1201776]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
Love your exhaust setup. I have the same generator sitting sideways between my toolbox and hitch. I have been using my gas grill to try to divert the worst of the exhaust over the side of the bed but it is still getting uncomfortably hot when running hard with the front AC going.

I'm going to copy yours. Thank you for posting

Welcome. I got the parts from Amazon. 1 inch flexible exhaust hose with 1 inch exhaust clamp. You still have the heat from the engine but at least the exhaust is diverted.

Tony
Thank you!!!
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote