Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Camping World of Springfield, MO

Has anybody Had service done at Camping World of Springfield, MO located in Strafford, MO? Looking at having my wheel bearings repacked this week there. It's been 3 years since having it done and I used my infrared gun to check temperatures as I came east over the last 2k miles and saw nothing above 112-114* on any wheel bearing housing. Does anyone else check bearing temps?

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I used a laser thermometer to verify a problem my TPMS alerted me to.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ght=Tpms+saved

I've also used it for checking electrical wire temperature to be sure it wasn't over loaded and various other things.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Yes, I have used one to check tire and hub temps everytime we stop on a tow. Great way to see the health of things.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you cannot do it yourself (many YouTube videos, Dexter also has a video on how to do it) I would check with a local garage. Last time I was at CW Springfield MO it's pretty tight. Maybe call them first to see how long it would be to get in. Verify exactly what they will do (pull drums, inspect brakes, clean inspect bearing/races, pack bearings, reassemble, adjust brakes, inspect/grease suspension).
Rather than just pump grease into the hub zirc.
Also verify what grease they are using. Must be on Dexter approved list.
I believe the Dexter Axle Manual is in the files section. It has everything in it.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Yes, I have used one to check tire and hub temps every time we stop on a tow. Great way to see the health of things.
What kind of temps do you see for tire and hub temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
If you cannot do it yourself (many YouTube videos, Dexter also has a video on how to do it) I would check with a local garage. Last time I was at CW Springfield MO it's pretty tight. Maybe call them first to see how long it would be to get in. Verify exactly what they will do (pull drums, inspect brakes, clean inspect bearing/races, pack bearings, reassemble, adjust brakes, inspect/grease suspension).
Rather than just pump grease into the hub zirc.
Also verify what grease they are using. Must be on Dexter approved list.
I believe the Dexter Axle Manual is in the files section. It has everything in it.
Well I made an appointment and arrived this morning at 8am. The mechanic started work on my trailer at about 9am and were done at 11:15am. I was very surprised at how fast they completed all 4 wheel bearings. Told me bearings and brakes looked excellent. Paid the bill and left at 11;45. From a discussion with the mechanic that did the work, he pulled drums, inspected brakes, clean & inspect bearing/races, pack bearings, reassemble and verify brakes. He said the brakes are self adjusting when I back up. Towed 23 miles back to campground and shot bearing temps. LF wheel was 119*, LR wheel 142*, RF was 148* and RR was 145*. All within Dexter specs but higher on 3 wheels then I've been seeing. My normal on all 4 wheels has been 105* to 118*. Will be watching this closely.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
...From a discussion with the mechanic that did the work,..... He said the brakes are self adjusting when I back up....
That is true for automotive type brakes. But the RV brakes self-adjust when you are stopping going forward.

"Forward Self-Adjusting Brakes have a mechanism that automatically adjusts the brake shoes during every forward stop."

Reference: https://www.rv.com/archive/install-l...ing-rv-brakes/

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #7
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
I have not gone to the Springfield store, but for goodness sake don't use Camping World/Gander RV or whatever the are calling themselves to outrun the bad reviews on I-70 in Columbia MO. Horrible service department and store management! That is where we purchase our used Montana and learned the hard way.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post

Well I made an appointment and arrived this morning at 8am. The mechanic started work on my trailer at about 9am and were done at 11:15am. I was very surprised at how fast they completed all 4 wheel bearings. Told me bearings and brakes looked excellent. Paid the bill and left at 11;45. From a discussion with the mechanic that did the work, he pulled drums, inspected brakes, clean & inspect bearing/races, pack bearings, reassemble and verify brakes. He said the brakes are self adjusting when I back up. Towed 23 miles back to campground and shot bearing temps. LF wheel was 119*, LR wheel 142*, RF was 148* and RR was 145*. All within Dexter specs but higher on 3 wheels then I've been seeing. My normal on all 4 wheels has been 105* to 118*. Will be watching this closely.
After towing to Ohio I stopped often to check bearing temps and never found temps to be above 112* on any bearing. After a discussion with shop foreman when I had the bearings repacked he stated very clearly that after they cooled down I would be fine. Didn't give much credance to his statement but after arriving in Ohio I have to admit, bearing temps are better then before bearings repacked. Big shout out for job well done to the shop boss.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It's worth reading through.... use your own judgment:

Click here.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote