Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 10:51 PM   #21
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Thank you for your posts re cable slides pulling out. We just (6 months ago) bought a new 2022 HC 295RL. Do you have any suggestions for weak links we need to watch out for. We're mostly DIYers; but, mostly hacks that need adult supervision even though I'm 70. Thanks for any suggestions/opinions. Apparently I can't give you my email address as I'm on some kind of probation.
Thanks again Jack Horn

182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:51 PM   #22
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
Congrats on the new 294RL. I really like that floor plan and its shorter length. The new 2022’s don’t have cable slides that the earlier models did. keystone went back to rack and pinion on big slides which should be more reliable. As far as issues, trust me, you will have them! If you’re lucky, most issues will be minor nuisance issues with Trim coming off or loose hardware and fittings that hopefully you’ll be able to fix yourself.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #23
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
There are weak links everywhere. You hear similar stories from owners of all brands. Have a very good toolbox. Technicians don't have much good to say about any slide system. I hold my breath every time I operate the slides. I recommend that all owners learn as much about how to maintain and repair their slide system as possible, because when they fail in the open position, you have a show stopper.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:21 PM   #24
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
... Do you have any suggestions for weak links we need to watch out for. ... Jack Horn
Woke up this morning and found one of our cables broken. We arrived at this campground yesterday, set up camp. All went well. So, I have no clue when the cable broke. It broke on the outside (bottom left) where that little metal tip hooks into the L bracket on the slide. It pulled right out. This is our 4th cable that's failed since we've had the camper.

I had my dealership fix the last cable as it was frayed into a bowl of spaghetti and I couldn't even untangle the mess. While there, I had them inspect, align, check and retention all my other slides (4 in all). All was good.

Then yesterday, one broke. Who would have known. Before leaving the house, I even reinspected each one for trension and they all seemed to be well adjusted. I suppose wear and tear just can't be seen.

To answer your question? No, there is really nothing you can actually "watch" for to prevent a cable failure. I know, I've been watching mine for over 3 years now, very carefully, and there is absolutely no indication a problem is going to happen. It just happens. Snap! Boing! Wham! and it's too late.

The best you can do is check them and make sure they are tensioned OK and not getting too much slack when in the relaxed position. Inspect them to make sure there are no frays starting. But, if a problem exists, (as in my case), you may never, ever see it until it ... just happens.

Just a short wile ago, I ordered a cable repair kit off Amazon. This cable is cleanly broken, no frays, so I can remove the old one easier. I've finally decided it's time to fix these things myself. So when we get back home (in 3 weeks), I'll fix the broken cable. If all goes well, I'll go ahead and order a couple more kits to carry in the camper. It seems, whenever I order extra parts for any camper I've ever had in the past, that part never failed again. Maybe I'll finally get lucky and never have another cable failure again. (one can only hope).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #25
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Yes, order two cables. They might not be available at part stores.

I was lucky in February. A cable broke and a friend happened to have two spares and sold me one at his cost ($30+). If he had not had that cable, the tech was going to have to order one and ship overnight mail (overnight plus cable $160). I'm gonna order 2 very soon. Just got home.

I've had 2 break, on opposing slides, both upper cables, one soon after the other. One was spaghetti and other one broke cleanly (both broke at the end cap).

I watched the repair. Likewise, I need to educate myself on how to do it. If you're in a bad situation, good to know.

I have a love/hate relationship with slides. When I downsize and simplify, I might decide to totally eliminate slides in my next rig.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #26
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
By the way, there should be a better cable material than standard cable. I guess the industry doesn't care.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #27
NWCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #29366
Congrats on your new unit!

There was no warning for our cable bracket pulling from the wall. We’re careful to watch them closely and we didn’t observe anything until it broke loose. Our thoughts are similar to previous posters- carry a well stocked tool box, have an extra cable kit or kits on hand, and educate yourself on how to fix them (the internet is a huge help). Unfortunately, often times it takes something breaking for us to realize what tools and supplies we need to bring along, just in case, so before long we’ll have the entire shop on board
Old 04-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The breaking strength of 7/32 steel cable is 2600 pounds. Clearly the strength of the cable isn’t the problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #29
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Understand what you mean.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #30
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Cable strength is probably ok. Whether cable running through a pulley system is reliable is a good question. Secondly, lots of cables break at the end connection. I'm convinced that the end piece is a weak point. Maybe re-engineer the end piece. I also believe slides need more rollers underneath because motors have to work so hard.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:05 PM   #31
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
I am in total agreement with DaveK. If the cables would be re-engineered to be a bit more forgiving, on the location of the cables, it is my belief that they would be more dependable. As far as the rollers on the slides, 100% agree. Rollers that roll, have way less friction and thus less energy to move them
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:36 PM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The cable system could be IF, did you notice that there s a big if, had been done right. It wouldn’t have taken much. The cables routed correctly where they didn’t drag on something that ruined them, a gear box strong enough to last, a wall strong enough to take the strain and the pulleys anchored to the wall strong enough it wouldn’t pull loose. This could have been the best most reliable simplest system made. This is the classic KISS solution, keep it simple stupid.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:17 AM   #33
jim65

M.O.C. #31823
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCampers View Post
In case someone finds themselves in our position, in need of moving the rv and can’t get the sides back in due to the cable pulley tearing away from the wall I thought I’d post our solution. After sending pictures to the dealer for repair we were told this unfortunately is rather common. They said the fix is a steel plate attached to the wall with larger screws and then the pulley remounted. Since we were supposed to be on the road today we decided to do the repairs ourselves. Using a jack we supported the slide in that corner then loosened the cables enough to work with the pulley. The service tech said it’s important before loosening the cables to measure the ends to the adjustment nut so after reattachment we would have them back at the correct tension. After losing the cables we cut a steel plate and mounted it to the wall at the studs then attached the cables pulley and tightened the cables back. We ran the slide in and out several times and it seems to have worked. The service tech is ordering plates for the other pulleys and we’ll be adding those as a precaution. It took about 2hrs to do this repair and we don’t want to have it ruin anymore trips if another one comes out.

And thank you for the advice on posting pictures. I took this one in landscape so hopefully it posts correctly.

Also, Dutchman, your breakfast looks great! I notice in the background you have a carpet runner on your steps. If you don’t mind my asking, how did you attach it?
Thanks for the information on the pulley cable system repair. Just have a couple of questions before I start. Did you use self tapping metal screws for your repair and if so what size and how long? Also, were you able to get some screws into the metal frame?

what is the material in the wall and how thick is it. I'm going to use wood screws here. Is it OSB or plywood and I thinking it's 1/2" thick? I just don't want to have screws too long
Thank you Jim
jim65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #34
NWCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #29366
Sorry for the delay in response. I've been trying to figure out how to get it to attach an image for you and I'm struggling.

The steel plate was one I had on hand that measures 1/8" thick. I cut it into an L shape to fit around the slide out opening. The top measures 10 1/4" wide, the right side is 8" long. The left side is 5" and the bottom leg is 3". I pre-drilled the steel plate trying to locate the screws in similar areas as they were originally in hopes of hitting the studs that support the slide. It's an aluminum header across the top of the slide opening so that's the support. The screws were also what I had on hand. They are #12 self tapping roofing screws that are 1 1/4" long.

We were in a hurry trying to make a reservation we had when this happened so it was a quick fix using what I had on hand to get on the road. In hind sight I could've cut that leg on the right side down to about 2" instead of the 3" because when the slide is out you can see a small piece of the steel. My intention was to paint it to hide better but that didn't happen in the time we had before we needed to leave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A107058-D26B-4209-9D5D-9B2CD48C004F.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	13799  
Old 12-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #35
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=84799

Had the problem in Julu of 2021
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #36
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
The other big issue is this slide system is not supposed to be lubricated, just soap and water per BAL
Old 12-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #37
jim65

M.O.C. #31823
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCampers View Post
Sorry for the delay in response. I've been trying to figure out how to get it to attach an image for you and I'm struggling.

The steel plate was one I had on hand that measures 1/8" thick. I cut it into an L shape to fit around the slide out opening. The top measures 10 1/4" wide, the right side is 8" long. The left side is 5" and the bottom leg is 3". I pre-drilled the steel plate trying to locate the screws in similar areas as they were originally in hopes of hitting the studs that support the slide. It's an aluminum header across the top of the slide opening so that's the support. The screws were also what I had on hand. They are #12 self tapping roofing screws that are 1 1/4" long.

We were in a hurry trying to make a reservation we had when this happened so it was a quick fix using what I had on hand to get on the road. In hind sight I could've cut that leg on the right side down to about 2" instead of the 3" because when the slide is out you can see a small piece of the steel. My intention was to paint it to hide better but that didn't happen in the time we had before we needed to leave.
Thanks Shawn, I have assembled the parts and tools I need. My slider is closed, the pulley is holding on for now.
I am going to do this repair when I get to Florida after Christmas. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #38
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65 View Post
Thanks Shawn, I have assembled the parts and tools I need. My slider is closed, the pulley is holding on for now.
I am going to do this repair when I get to Florida after Christmas. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year.
I cleaned off the wood on the wall and put nutserts into the frame to ensure better attachment and allowed the use of a regular bolt not the metal screw thread
Old 12-21-2022, 06:42 AM   #39
jim65

M.O.C. #31823
Hi, would you be able you send me pictures and or a plan that you did on the cable pulley repair.
Did you just cut out the material behind the pulley to expose the aluminium?
what tool or tools did you use to do this?
What type of nut insert and where can I purchase.
I would appreciate the help, thanks Jim
Old 12-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #40
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
https://www.amazon.com/Amjoy-Rivet-N...s%2C147&sr=8-5

this is the kit, I bought after the fact. I borrowed one from a machine shop to fix it. I used a wood chisel and screw driver to scrap wood off.

Amazon is your friend or a good ACE Hardware