Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
Asroc777
Established Member

M.O.C. #19135
Shower drain leaking

I have a 2016 Montana Legacy 3911FB. Water is leaking around the shower drain into the storage underbelly. I have RTVd around the drain but to no avail. Suggestions please? Thanks in advance. Bob

Asroc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Hopefully others will chime in, but it could possible be the flex coupling at the top of the gray water tank for the bathroom shower.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:29 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Our shower drain has a HEPVO valve rather than using a P-Trap like house plumbing would have. If it gets clogged, with hair, etc., it could back up into the shower. Happened to me. The HEPVO valve is screwed in hand tight on both sides and tends to rattle loose while travelling sometimes. Could it be leaking around this?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
On my previous travel trailer (Outback), the shower drain leaked from day 1. We didn't realize it for some time though, as the water went into the underbelly of the camper and pooled there.

A few weeks later, water was finally dripping from under the trailer. I was able to find the spot. There was a small removable panel on the shower pan that allowed access under the shower. And sure enough, it was leaking under the shower pan. The drain was not secured tight.

I had room I could tighten it. But it wouldn't tighten. The threads were stripped (cross threaded). That left no alternative but to return it for warranty work.

They replaced the plumbing, had to remove the shower to do it right, and it worked OK for a short while again. Then It started leaking again .... same spot. This time, however, it truly was just loose and I was able to get a gigantic pair of channel lock pliers on the joint and tighten it down. After that, we never had problem again.

In our current house, we had a bad leak from our (plastic) shower pan. Fortunate, the shower was situated on a concrete slab, but the frame for the shower was built up about 8 inches, making the shower a step-up, but this allowed room for a p-trap to be installed.

I finally got tired of the leak, and ended up rebuilding the entire shower with concrete, all the layers of concrete, wire, and rubber liners. Yes, it was work.

When I got the old shower pan out, I could see how really bad a break it had in the bottom that really couldn't be detected from the top side. It was sitting on a cheesy frame that allowed too much flex on the bottom, and it simply cracked. The previous owner was a real moron. He did a lot of hide and coverup with his marvelous .... (pathetic) carpentry skills. And this was one of his better builds!

Meanwhile ... it's possible your shower pan could be cracked. It's possible the pipe under the shower pan could be loose. Or it's possible a section of pipe, where a joint is, could be loose.

The only way to really determine where the problem is, is to get under the shower and open things up. If you have a hypo valve, instead of a P-trap, and it's clogged up for some reason, then you'd have water back-up in your shower pan. If the joints are sealed, you would not have leaking. You'd have back-up, not leaking inside the cargo bay.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
daleyruss

M.O.C. #21187
Ours started leaking in September and finally found a small crack in the pan in the drain area . Had to put a little pressure on the pan fo it to reveal the crack . Repaired with marine repair underneath then covered that with quick roof extreme. Cut 4 inch circle for top of the pan ,installed drain with proper seal.
daleyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Asroc777 - daleyruss has an excellent point. Press on the fiberglass shower pan in several locations looking for a crack in the pan.

I was going to go take some pic of my unit outside but it is raining now and my basement is full of stuff I would need to remove to get good pics - so I got these screen shots from sales videos for a 3921FB online. These two pics show the shower plumbing system inside the front compartment and the basement. Follow the lines and look for leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-07_11-32-50.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	13586   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-07_11-28-07.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	13587  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
My shower drain leaked because the nut that draws the drain tight to the pan was loose. Added some sealant and tightened the nut (very hard to get to) and no leaks. I also replaced the waterless trap with a typical p-trap.
KIEHLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:40 PM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Shower leaking

While setting my rig up for my daughter in Phoenix, the shower started leaking. With everything going on getting it ready, I called an rv repair guy in the resort. He came out right away and found it wasn’t the drain, it was a hairline crack about 1-1/2” long on the cove of the shower pan, not noticeable.
He fixed it and all was good.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
While setting my rig up for my daughter in Phoenix, the shower started leaking. With everything going on getting it ready, I called an rv repair guy in the resort. He came out right away and found it wasn’t the drain, it was a hairline crack about 1-1/2” long on the cove of the shower pan, not noticeable.
He fixed it and all was good.

What did he use to fix the pan?
Old 11-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Shower drain leaking

Clear silicone, let dry for 24 hours.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #11
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asroc777 View Post
I have a 2016 Montana Legacy 3911FB. Water is leaking around the shower drain into the storage underbelly. I have RTVd around the drain but to no avail. Suggestions please? Thanks in advance. Bob
Make sure that is where the leak is, I thought I had one but it was behind the hot/cold taps. The assembly for the shower connection is VERY fragile, broke 2 before I got it right.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Our flimsy shower pan leaked at the drain, and we used 3M 5200 sealant. That lasted awhile. Then the fiberglass pan actually cracked. After several attempts, we are now 1.5 years into the latest fix: flexseal rubber paint. With a thorough prep and many layers, so far it is holding up nicely, one area started to peel, so that is a job for thanksgiving week. Word of caution: flex seal is slippery when wet. So, I mixed in some beach sand for the final floor layer, and have been very happy with it.
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #13
RicknTee
Established Member

M.O.C. #28444
I had that happen on our 2017 a couple summers ago. I put a new rubber seal on from underneath and tightened it back down. All is good now. Mine is in the pass through so was real easy to fix.
RicknTee is offline   Reply With Quote