Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tread Separation

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion -

Last month traveling through Utah enroute to sunny San Diego, we stopped to get fuel and noticed the tread on one of our original equipment tires separating, indicated by a raised center tread extending beyond normal and the outer treads worn completely off. We went to a tire shop down the road to change with the spare. We found two others doing the same thing. The tire shop manager said that with a GVW of 12,000 lbs, even the Load Range E tires are insufficient to handle the twisting and sideways motion of dual non-turning axles that fight each other when the trailer turns. The side pressure can eventually cause the tread separation. He recommended a 14-ply Load Range G tire that runs at 120 lbs to handle the side pressure better.

He may be right - or I may have "sucker" tatooed to my forehead, but I did want to continue our trip and there weren't alot of places to get a second opinion in the middle of the desert. I bought 4 new tires and they really do tow nice with the high pressure, perhaps even saving a little fuel as well.

Our's is a 2003, so it has a few years on it over what I see most folks to have. However, tires are a fact of life and it might be worth checking into it once the original equipment tires surrender.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="ClickforLittleton,Colorado Forecast"height=100width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote