Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
Chasw98

M.O.C. #23304
Black tank repair/replacement

We have a 2005 2955RL with 3 black tanks, galley, shower, and toilet. All are 30 gallon capacity. The shower/gray tank is leaking. I do not think a replacement tank is available but might be in some form. What are the odds a talented repair shop could repair the leak? It only leaks after we have taken a shower each(2 total). We are full time and in New Mexico/Arizona for the winter. Any ideas? This forum has helped a lot of people with solid information so I hope another Montana owner has solved this problem. Thanks.

Chasw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Replacement tanks were still available a year or so ago, You will need the code written on the tank.

As for the leak, it depends. Where is it? The usual place in that era was around the spud. The flex from the water causes the crack to open up. The other source may be the top of the tank. It is a two piece tank and the top is known to pop loose.

Some have had success sealing cracks using Plastic-Mend. A Search on tank leaks should uncover other techniques. A top of the tank leak is harder to repair but usually not letting it fill to capacity avoids the leakage problem

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #3
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Drop the Coloplast. Like Carl said, there should be a number written on the side. Mine was written in white crayon. Two years ago the only place I could find a replacement was Trekwood. They may be able to find tank with tour year and model.

I tried to repair my grey tank, lasted one trip and leak returned.

Edit: Also try icondirect.com
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Replacement tanks were still available a year or so ago, You will need the code written on the tank.
We can get OEM replacement tanks with the proper output drain fittings from Keystone? All I can ever find for replacement tanks online are generic end drains, and all my tanks have side drains at the far left sides of the tanks.
EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had one go bad on my 2013 Mountaineer model. Dealer couldn't get in exact replacement but got an off brand that was slightly smaller. I don't boon-dock so I don't fill the black tank too fast. The unit was probably just a year old at the time. The connection point on the top broke, I think - or maybe it separated. It only leaked when I didn't drain it after a day or 2 and drove on the highway sloshing it around.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
My galley tank started leaking so I took off the coroplast black panel on the bottom of the trailer to access. I watched you tube videos on how to repair. Mine was leaking from a crack on the bottom so I had good access. I used ABS glue and mixed in shavings from ABS pipe . I first put on a coat of that and then put on some window screen material and then more of the glue/shavings. It has been over 2 years and no leaks. My tank had a sticker that said Travel Star. I have the same year, make, and model!
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Platimend usually works for me
In 2015 it took a month to get a new side outlet tank
Shoving it back up under the floor and reconnecting the vent using a flexible rubber connector were the 2 biggest challenges
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #8
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Plasti-Mend works for me if the leak/crack are easily accessible. Do a search for Plasti-Mend for product details and instructions for use.
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
My gray shower/bathroom sink tank was leaking. I dropped the belly and found that I had 2 cracks and that 2 of my censor probes were leaking. The probes just had to be tightened up. I ended up following a youtube video about repairing the cracks using ABS solvent and cleaner, and some fiberglass screen. The crack repairs work the next time we went camping, we had no leaks. I modified the process slightly by not squirting stuff inside the tank. Here is a link to one of the videos: https://youtu.be/N2rVLU3bDMY

You can search for others and decide how you want to approach it. It took me almost a whole day off and on to complete because I let it dry 6 hours before I did a second coat. I let it dry/cure all night. I filled up the tank the next day and no leaks! I let it sit with a full tank for 3 days and after no leaks, I put everything back together.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
I replaced my black tank (sewer) last February and it wasn't a pleasant event. Once you obtain the number of the tank as explained above you can check on a replacement tank. I got mine from: https://www.icondirect.com/ They are located in Canada and they seem to have quite a selection of tanks.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #11
ccl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21513
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
My galley tank started leaking so I took off the coroplast black panel on the bottom of the trailer to access. I watched you tube videos on how to repair. Mine was leaking from a crack on the bottom so I had good access. I used ABS glue and mixed in shavings from ABS pipe . I first put on a coat of that and then put on some window screen material and then more of the glue/shavings. It has been over 2 years and no leaks. My tank had a sticker that said Travel Star. I have the same year, make, and model!
I also have a 2005 2955rl and had the same problem. Its an easy fix.
ccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
A friend of mine had a leak in his black tank and removed the tank and repaired it with flex seal, He pulled the tank and found the crack and cleaned it them rough it up with a wire brush in a drill and sprayed flex seal all around crack. Been 5 years and no leaks.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote