Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Dgeisser
Established Member

M.O.C. #26900
Satellite dishes

We have never owned a RV satellite dish. Have cable at home. We like all kinds of camping and there for thought a King pro one with a quick release roof mount kit may be a good option .I’m assuming one could have this on the roof and take it off and make it portable ? Anyone use this or similar system ??
Thanks.

Dgeisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
Satellite Dish Info

I use direct tv and have both the ground mount tripod and the mount that is attached to my rear ladder. My dish is self aiming (real good to have) and when I find that my ladder mount does not get a good signal, typically due to a tree or some other obstruction, I go for the ground mounted tripod. I also have a cable lock for the dish that I can use in both cases.
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you get a dish that is powered thru the cable and doesn't have it's own power cable you will propably have issues with the wiring in your rig since tailgater type antennas usually only work with a 25' cable wired directly to the reciever. We've always used self powered antennas and never had a problem, but many others have with tailgater types.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have 2 tailgaters. One mounted on the roof and a portable one. The one on the roof I used the OTA cable. No wiring required and if I wish to use the OTA antenna I switch the wire. If I need to use the portable unit I use the wire that came in my camper for the dish. I’ve used it in Wyoming with a 50 foot wire and told the setup page I was in Virginia and it still found 2 of the 3 satellites. The Tailgaters are so cheap I think under $300 I thought why bother to climb up on the roof to move one.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We have Dish for the S&B and we have a tailgater with a VIP211z black box hooked to the living room TV. The tailgater is powered by a signal thru the coax and coax length is limited to 50’. The splitters that keystone puts inside the RV to direct signal to our (3) TVs degrade the signal to and from the black box to the tailgater as it tries to lock onto the satellites. I had to run a coax thru the window to connect to the back of the black box. Campground cable TV and the over the air antenna signal works fine in our unit to all 3 TVs.

The nice thing about the tailgater is I can move it to get it out from under trees to get a signal. If I had a fixed dish on the roof not sure how well it picks up thru trees. There are apps on the phone that you can use to point to the sky and find the satellites which helps to get the tailgater pointing in the right direction. Sometimes I have to stick it up on the roof to get clear of a few tree limbs or some other obstruction. Then I go inside and tell the black box to start searching for the signal. I will tell you that sometimes I spend a lot of time on the phone with Dish technical support. I call them every time we move so they can flip a switch to give us local channels. You can not do that on your own or thru the internet. Wish I could but they don’t allow that for now..but we have been happy with Dish service.

We have only traveled in Texas and the Midwest with this setup. I am told that if and when we go East my particular tailgater might not pick up east coast satellites - don’t know if that is true or not. Also I am curious if the Hopper black box is better than the VIP211z.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

We have only traveled in Texas and the Midwest with this setup. I am told that if and when we go East my particular tailgater might not pick up east coast satellites - don’t know if that is true or not. Also I am curious if the Hopper black box is better than the VIP211z.
I aim at west satellites when I'm in florida and it works fine.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I use the Pathway 2, I think it is called. And the 211z inside. It is self aiming and is powered thru the coax. I calculated the cable length inside the trailer. And in my case it is over 30 feet long and who knows how many adapters/connectors. So I put a direct wall plate thru the wall right behind the tv. I am able to use a 50 ft RG6 cable and can move my dish around. Oh, the reason I went with Pathway 2 is it has a quite a bit larger dish which works better thru clouds and rain, etc.
I do have to get it pretty level and find close to true north for it to lock in tho. And I have 2 cell phones with a compass and the each think north is about 15-20 degrees apart!! So finding north is sometimes (often) problematic.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
We had Direct and used a portable dish until we moved and no longer had Direct. Just bought a Tailgater Pro 2 to use with the Dish as you go system. Since the coax installed in most RV’s have too many splitters to work well, I found the coax under the slide that goes directly to the TV, I cut the coax there and installed a connector and connect the dish coax there. Works great.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
jubzexcel
Established Member

M.O.C. #14546
Saw a message here about Dish & local stations,
cant find the original message, so hope this gets
out there and helps anyone with this priblem:

Don’t forget each time you change locations, ie;
Zip Codes.. you call dish, tell them you are a
full time RV’ER and need to change your location and give them your new ZIP CODE.
jubzexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
You can do this via their app as well. No need to call in.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
king pro one, satellite dish