Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #21
imolared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21609
Please share how you got reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nard Dog View Post
Thanks for all this advice. We got reservations at the Fishing Bridge park for next summer and we’ll just stroll up the Michigan UP this August. I’ll learn all I can on that trip.
Howdy,
I saw your post and immediately went to the Yellowstone web site. I cannot find where one can make a reservations for 2022 as you have done.
Please help!!

imolared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #22
Displaced Alaskans
Established Member

M.O.C. #23466
My mom lives near there and they went through the park from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful last weekend. The 31 mile one-way trip took them about 5 hours due to the traffic. Then they had to turn around and do it again. I would not pull my rig through there for love or money. There are a lot of nice RV parks within an 80 mile radius of Yellowstone, and then just make a day trip or 2 into the park. Check out Island Park, ID and even down into the Ashton/St Anthony/Rexburg, ID, areas to the south. I'm not sure about the West side, but it's Wyoming and you be able to find many places there.
Displaced Alaskans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #23
HalH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26651
The NPs, for the most part, are NOT accommodating to larger rigs.

From my limited experience, much of which confirms prior comments here on staying inside the park, the private campgrounds outside the park are the best compromise. We are going in Aug \ Sep '21 and this is the 2nd time I've planned the trip. Tried to go in 2020 and there were more barriers to climb over than I can delineate here.

This year, we are staying at firesidejacksonhole.com for Grand Teton and yellowstoneholiday.com for Yellowstone. Yes, Fishing Bridge Campground, the only in-park campground with full hook-ups, was/is still closed to reservations for 2021.

It's unfortunate to be outside the park but that's the trade-off unless to you want a sub-30' rig with a gen set and solar for good measure. Tried to convince my wife to go for the Unicat but she didn't even bother to respond.

From what I have seen with the rush to RV camping, I would not travel without reservations, especially to Yelllowstone. Best of luck with it!
HalH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The best time to go to Yellowstone is after the kids go back to school. The crowds are gone the Elk are bugling the weather is cool. The only down side is some of the restaurants are closed but the up side to that is the Old Faithful restaurant is open to the public.
If at all possible see the Museum in Cody. I think it’s a must see. It’s 5 museums in one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:24 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We stayed at a brand new KOA in West Yellowstone, Montana about 3-4 years ago when we couldn't find a reservation inside. That CG is only about 5-6 miles from the west entrance and was an uncrowded good choice, for our needs.

A good search here will turn up many CG in or near West Yellowstone: https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...st-yellowstone.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #26
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
If you decide to stay at a KOA on the West side, stay at the one closest to the park. There are 2 KOA’s within a mile or two of each other. The KOA furthest West is horrible. You will regret staying there. The one nearest the park is decent . Plan your trip far in advance and make reservations as early as you can. You need at least a week, two weeks would be a great trip. Safe travels.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote