Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
How to winterize that Samsung Refrigerator with icemaker

Montana HC owners,

We have a MHC 331RL with the Samsung residential refrigerator with icemaker.

What is the best and most efficient way that you winterize the icemaker?

I have tried air (low pressure 40/45 psi) and also draining the water system and then running antifreeze (pink RV) throughout the water system.

Went the antifreeze throughout the entire water system this time using the onboard water pump. It took FOREVER to get antifreeze to makes its way to the icemaker and into the ice tray.

Interested in what some of you are doing.

Thanks for chiming in.

John in NC

John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I have a GE fridge in our trailer and use air. I broke the water line to my fridge at the connection under the kitchen slide then I blew out the lines in the trailer, tank lines etc and then when I'm done doing that, I hooked up the air line to the fridge line and set it at 40 lbs and drained the water dispenser at the fridge until all the water was out and let the ice maker run for about 4 cycles while I was doing other things. First ice cycle the cubes were about half size, 2nd cycle barely anything, 3rd and 4th cycle, nothing. I've been doing it that way (using air) for years on the ice maker in our boat.
I thought I read here that Samsungs have a button on the bottom of the ice maker that you can cycle manually to speed the process along regardless of whether you choose air or antifreeze. Maybe someone will chime in on that.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
There are several thread's that explains just how to blow out water lines and ice maker lines. Or youtube has several. There is a button on the bottom of the samsung ice maker that activates the ice maker and goes through making cycle. Takes 5 or 6 cycles to get all the water out. Been doing it for years.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
True fact about the ice maker cycle button on the Samsung refrigerator.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
We have the same Samsung residential fridge and it usually takes me about 5-6 cycles to get the pink in the ice tray. Same to flush it out good in the Spring.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Thank you and yes the Samsung does have the button you refer to.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Yes, I know about the button and ours takes WAY longer than yours to get all the water out. Just sayin'.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I also have the Samsung refrigerator. I added a T valve under the slide out, in the line for the ice maker. When I start pumping the pink stuff, I simply open the valve under the slide (outside), just like the low point drain, and let the water purge until the pink stuff starts running.

I then close this valve. I then go inside the camper and disconnect the valve inside the slide out beside the refrigerator, and turn on the valve there, until pink stuff starts running, which is usually less than 4 ounces of water, since the line was completely purged under the slide out.

This is where I put the additional valve for purging outside, under the slide.

This is where I disconnect the line running to the refrigerator inside the slide and purge what little bit is still remaining.

After I've purged to this point and pink is running with no water, (again, maybe 4 ounces caught in a plastic cup), I then reconnect this thin blue hose that runs to the Ice Maker.

Now that it is hooked back up, I open this last valve again, and simply push the button under the ice maker. The last time I did that, I had to push it only 2 times and all pink was running. I then (very difficulty), pour some water over the ice cube maker pan to flush the pink stuff out of that, rinsing away the pink stuff.

In the Spring when I unwinterize, I flush all the lines with fresh water, and leave the refrigerator for last. After all the lines are flushed out, I'll open that valve again under the slide out to purge out the pink stuff up to that point. Gravity will drain everything remaining from from the ice maker, back to the valve under the slide out. Once the water is purged up to this point, I'll press the button under the ice maker to make it cycle, probably 6 or 7 times to flush it out. Dump the water from the ice bucket, and then let the ice machine run naturally for the next 2 or 3 days. I'll discard the ice that's made, and after a couple days, the ice maker is clear of all anti freeze taste.

For us, this works best. It's actually very easy, and takes only about 5 minutes to do the ice maker, once all the other lines are pumped with pink, or purged of the pink.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Now ... I had to winterize the washing machine this year, for the first time. THAT was a fun experience.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #9
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Dutchman Sport,

Thanks so much for your detailed description and especially your photographs. Was just discussing this method with my wife for the next time we winterize (will be 2022 since we have already winterized for this year).

John
Old 11-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #10
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McLean View Post
Montana HC owners,

I have tried air (low pressure 40/45 psi) and also draining the water system and then running antifreeze (pink RV) throughout the water system.

Went the antifreeze throughout the entire water system this time using the onboard water pump. It took FOREVER to get antifreeze to makes its way to the icemaker and into the ice tray.

Thanks for chiming in.

John in NC
Ugh... the icemaker. People I bought my RV from were in AZ, and they didn't winterize the icemaker.
The hose froze and broke. The way my fridge is set up, it's just about impossible to replace.
Never forget the icemaker!
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:05 PM   #11
RETCHIEF
Established Member

M.O.C. #23886
Samsung ref winterizing.

Quote:
Montana HC owners,

Thanks for chiming in.

John in NC
I just use air at 30PSI. I push the little cycle button at the front bottom of the ice maker until no water comes out. It takes 6-7 pushes, but it goes quick. The advantage is no de-winterizing in the spring. It takes care of that on its own. This has worked great for 3 seasons.
2017 Ram 3500
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Montana HC owners,

Thanks for chiming in.

John in NC
I would simply open the 2 valves that control water to the fridge then open the low point drain. There isn't anything to winterize in a residential fridge other than the ice maker which I never use.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #13
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Does anyone have a picture of the mysterious button?
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:31 PM   #14
jelders25
Established Member

M.O.C. #26208
Quote:
Montana HC owners,

Thanks for chiming in.

John in NC
John, I have the same fridge. There is a small micro button, bottom of the ice maker fwd part. If you push the button it cycles the ice maker. You can push RV anti freeze that way. It's hard to find you can just feel for it. Hold it down for a few seconds.
jelders25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
Any further advice on the GE? I assume we don’t have the button on the ice maker- haven’t looked At it yet, but need to winterize in next few days! Also, how to turn fridge off for the winter. Appreciate any advice- I’m not the best at this stuff!!!!!
gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #16
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherman49 View Post
Any further advice on the GE? I assume we don’t have the button on the ice maker- haven’t looked At it yet, but need to winterize in next few days! Also, how to turn fridge off for the winter. Appreciate any advice- I’m not the best at this stuff!!!!!
No button that I could find on the GE ice maker.
I used air on the fridge line. Don't forget the water dispenser, running that with air or pink will get the lines to the fridge drained or filled with pink quickly so it will only take a few cycles to finish the ice maker.

To turn off the GE fridge, push the temperature buttons on the top of the fridge for both the freezer and the fridge at the same time and hold until the display says "off". That will turn off the unit, but the light will still light and the door ajar alarm will beep (if you store with the doors open obviously). If you want to kill the light and alarm, turn off the inverter circuit breaker on the trailer electric panel. By doing that, you can plug into shore power or use your batteries and not have to close your fridge doors every time you visit the trailer during the winter. The fridge and the 5 "inverter outlets" are powered through the inverter circuit, I'm guessing the residential fridges are all powered the same regardless of the model.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #17
Billy T

M.O.C. #28534
Samsung Ice Maker Cyle / Test Button

I was able to remove the freezer drawers and get a picture of the Samsung Ice Make Cycle / Test Button. Attached is the picture. I used a 6-gallon 175 psi, 3scfm portable air compressor at 30 psi to clear all my lines and cleared the ice maker last. It took two cycles to get rid of the water in the ice maker. Hope this helps. Billy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung Ice Maker Cycle Button.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	10803  
Billy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Montana HC owners,

Thanks for chiming in.

John in NC
Close the valve under the sink, switch the valve under the stove and the water drains out the bottom of the slide.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote