Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Question Samsung Residetial Refrigerator Coil Cleaning

So I noticed my refrigerator temperature has slowly been climbing over the past few days. It is the Samsung residential in my 2019 3121RL. I starting thinking about cleaning the dust from the coils and was wondering if anyone has found a decent or feasible method for pulling the fridge out from the slide to access the coils for cleaning??? Any tricks or advice???? The slide is obviously elevated a couple inches from the floor. How heavy are these units?

Old 12-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
When you have stuff in them, they get heavy. But you can manage with Fore-Arm Forklifts which are sold at lowes and home depot, if I remember where I got mine. These are wide nylon straps that allow two people to move things like fridges. I don't know how your unit is held in place as I installed mine and devised my own system to secure it in place. What I did was make a wooden platform using plywood and wood studs so that the platform is the same height as the elevated slide floor. Then you can mostly roll thr fridge out of it's normal home and onto the platform...and maybe needing the straps to cross the gap to the platform. Hope this helps you. John
Old 12-16-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
When I get ready to pull mine out (2019 MHC331RL), I plan to do the following steps.

Remove the wood trim strip at the base of the slide.

Use pieces of 2x6 and plywood stacked up to create a level runway on the main floor in front of the fridge.

Disconnect the steel strap that holds the fridge in place.

Roll the fridge out of the slide and onto the wood runway. (It has rollers)

Do the opposite to put it all back!
Old 12-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Ok, I appreciate the input. Thank you
Old 12-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
The wood platform worked well and I am thankful I put forth the effort to pull out the fridge and clean the coils they were in dire need of it. Many campgrounds with dust and sand making the unit work very hard.

The surprise bonus was my ice maker line behind the cabinet wall was dripping. It appears to have just started within a few days but left undetected would have been a disaster for my slide floor. I have decided to disconnect the ice maker line for it isn't worth the risk to me again for an item tucked away where it could do some serious damage if unchecked frequently. I suggest you look at your feed line valve connection to the fridge for your ice maker.

I also found the brackets that secure the fridge to the wall were loosened up and out 1/2 on one side. The flooring under the fridge wheels actually has wheel impressions into the flooring more than a quarter inch deep. I am truly not impressed with any of the craftsmanship on this unit for the money paid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211217_144930694~2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	10792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211217_150555679.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	10793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211217_153739690_HDR.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	10794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211217_141100883.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	10795  
Old 12-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #6
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin Retiree View Post
The wood platform worked well and I am thankful I put forth the effort to pull out the fridge and clean the coils they were in dire need of it. Many campgrounds with dust and sand making the unit work very hard.

The surprise bonus was my ice maker line behind the cabinet wall was dripping. It appears to have just started within a few days but left undetected would have been a disaster for my slide floor. I have decided to disconnect the ice maker line for it isn't worth the risk to me again for an item tucked away where it could do some serious damage if unchecked frequently. I suggest you look at your feed line valve connection to the fridge for your ice maker.

I also found the brackets that secure the fridge to the wall were loosened up and out 1/2 on one side. The flooring under the fridge wheels actually has wheel impressions into the flooring more than a quarter inch deep. I am truly not impressed with any of the craftsmanship on this unit for the money paid.
Thank you for the pictures to look at. Will be checking mine out
snowmanfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:59 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:

Great job cleaning things up. Did it fix the rising temperature issue?
Old 12-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #8
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
So far so good but time will tell. I am heading back to Wisconsin for Christmas week so upon my return to Florida I will post in a couple weeks the updated status of refrigerator functions. Merry Christmas to all and safe travels.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
I'll bet it's not the coils! Check your doors to make sure they are sealing well, the securing bracket was causing my doors to not close correctly and since it's a twin cooling I bet the fridge coils inside are freezing up. Happened to me every two weeks in humid conditions. Had to pull out everything put it in a cooler, remove the shelves and unscrew the cover, then defrost with a blow dryer.

QUOTE=Wisconsin

Retiree;1240626]So I noticed my refrigerator temperature has slowly been climbing over the past few days. It is the Samsung residential in my 2019 3121RL. I starting thinking about cleaning the dust from the coils and was wondering if anyone has found a decent or feasible method for pulling the fridge out from the slide to access the coils for cleaning??? Any tricks or advice???? The slide is obviously elevated a couple inches from the floor. How heavy are these units?[/QUOTE]
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:

Thanks for the pictures and advice bro! ☮️✌🏻
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:39 PM   #11
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
rvdh
what did you do about the brackets keeping the fridge to close properly? we have the same thing happening in our 3931fb if not careful closing the doors
it does beep when not closed but very faint and i dont hear it my wife does. i am looking at ways to secure it differant and removing that bar.
thx
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:37 AM   #12
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
RVDH, I originally opened up the inside panel to view per a previous post I read. Thankfully, I did not have any freeze or frosting issues. However, upon reinstalling the bars I did notice what you mentioned. If over tightened the bars do put extreme pressure on the doors. In the short couple days before I left to celebrate Christmas the temperature was holding steady between 36-38 degrees as it used to be. I will watch it upon my return for two weeks to confirm if my issue is resolved or not and report back. Thank you for the feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #13
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Follow up on Fridge temperature:

I have had zero issues with fluctuating temps inside fridge since a I cleaned the coils. Temp holds steady at 36-38. I am very happy I went through the process.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #14
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Follow up on Fridge temperature:

I have had zero issues with fluctuating temps inside fridge since a I cleaned the coils. Temp holds steady at 36-38. I am very happy I went through the process.
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out for you.