Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
Drilling into Exterior Slide Slide from Exterior

Hi All -

Question please. We have a 2020 Montana High Country 305RL. And 'Yes' for the time being it works for us.

The slide that houses the recliners and table is close to 12' long with two great big windows that are nasty heat and cold 'suckers'. Early last year (January) we purchased a manually retractable window awning for those two windows. The awning finally arrived a couple of weeks ago. Yup, it really took that long!!

Question is - does anybody know the thickness of the fiberglass on the slide I am mentioning above (or any slides exterior for all it matters)?

I have to mount a bunch of hardware and wondering if there is any backing to the fiberglass (other than styrofoam) for the sheet metal screws provided with the awning arms. If no backing expanding molly rivets will be necessary for the awning arms. If I am to use expanding molly rivets, that is the reason I am looking for the thickness of the exterior fiberglass. There are different sizes to order so I attempting to get it right the first time.

Any kind words here would be greatly appreciated.

J. J.

J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Best way to be sure is to find an area where you can see the wall construction, like behind one of the exterior vents used for an RV fridge, a passthrough door area, propane access door, etc. John
Old 02-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Here's some close up pictures of mine. One of our members installed an awning on the right slide last year. I can't find the post right now. If the wall is not reinforced or that is unknown maybe use Jack Nuts (and lock tite) behind the arm hardware. They are threaded and spread out when compressed behind the wall. Very similar to Oscar rivits which is what the manufacturer recommends for mounting the C channel to the wall that the awning material slides into.
Hillman 59126 Short Jack Nuts (1/4"-20) - 15 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUFMIIO...6ABPAXFMSEHS18

Try using a stud finder or better still a "Walabot" to see if you can find the wall studs to anchor into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivit - Oscar for awnings.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	11253   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220208_193939.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	11254  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Here's a link to an experiment I did with window film to reduce heat coming through the windows.

MOC
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...57#post1224357
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Your side wall construction is a series of layers...basically it's the clear gelcoat, over the filon layer over a thin layer of luan (1/8") over approximately 1 1/2" of rigid foam. As for something to attach to, I would not recommend using screws to mount any bracket. The best thing to use is probably expanding pop-rivets. Do a google search for exploding or expanding rivets.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
Again - Hi All
I wish to thank all of you that read my thread and especially thank those who responded. Your help is greatly appreciated.
With your responses I am better able to understand the construction of the slide wall (cheaply constructed) and how to fasten the manually pull down awning we purchased.
Parts to securely fasten the awning are now on order.
J. J.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Awning bracket

What does the mounting bracket look like? Can you do an extension on the mounting bracket so reaches close to the Slide lip that seals it to the side? I am not say tie it into that 4" lop but I believe you can get access to the inside of that wall. If you get there, put a piece of steel or aluminum that is bigger than you mounting bracket on the backof side of the siding. Then when you attach the awning bracket it will disperse the torque and pull on your mounting screws.

I had an awning blow of the side of the RV once and that is a spooky feeling. Being a manual awning...pulling it down will be stressful and driving down the road will apply a lot of stress. Spreading out the torque point will be key.
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #8
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
RBul31
Just saw a response from you while checking our regular email.
Awning was installed yesterday. It 108 inches long. After reading your email, you offer good advice with offering up placing an extra piece of aluminum to help support the mounting brackets. That is exactly what we did when when counting the awning. After drilling a single hole into the side to determine how thick the exterior slide walls were, the expanding molly rivets were the way to go. Although somewhat expensive, they were used everyplace in lieu of included sheet metal screws.

Time will only tell, it someday, I am crawling up the back of the High Country, during a very high wind and cutting off the awning with a butcher knife as we saw others doing alongside the road on trip to Quartzite just a few years back.
Thanks for offering your advice.
J.J.