Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2022, 05:46 AM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Broken Lippert Frame Outrigger

I had my tires off of our 2019 MHC331RL yesterday and discovered this little piece of disappointment. I already cut a piece of steel angle and will be fixing this when the weather is a little warmer. I will follow up with the repair and some additional pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Outrigger.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	11390  

Old 02-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Considering the support itself is not broken and it's just the flange, or flair, or whatever that's called that rusted and giving way, I think I'd take a different approach. First, the process of rewelding will be tricky to ensure nothing catches fire under there. I would think that would be a bigger risk than just leaving the broking "wing" as is.

I think a much simpler and safer solution would be to simply remove the bolts and slip a sheet of sheet metal, maybe 1/4 or less inch thick, between the bottom of the slide and the top of the slide frame and do not disturb the existing wing. Of course, you'll need to drill holes in the new sheet metal for the bolts to go through. Doing this will give the wide support again, and that won't affect the original part of the frame. (and no danger of fire attempting to weld.)

I think, if it were mine, I'd also clean wire brush out as much of the rust as you can and with a liquid weld, paste that over the existing metal and let it bond. After it dries real will, give it shot of black spray paint so the color matches and to help prevent future rust.

Well, that's my idea anyway, but maybe something you did not consider. I'm a firm believer in trying the least evasive action first before dismantling unnecessarily. If it doesn't then, then you can always try the next level of complexity, hot welding.

Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Disappointing, yes, but doesn't look like the end of the world. In my mind I'd need to know why it broke. Did it break because it rusted or rust after it broke? What's directly above the break? Maybe the weight of what it's carrying is a little too much for it.

I think I'd be tempted to see if I could loosen the nut, and the others near it, and use a stout bottle jack to see how much lift I could get to see if I could separate the body a little from the support. I might try to slip a piece of 1/8" steel above that brace. If I could also slip a thin piece of plywood (1/8" would work) then that would shield enough to be able to spot weld the new steel to the old brace...especially at the break. Then pull out the plywood and reseat the nuts.

The plywood above the brace would also allow you to weld a 1/4" piece of steel along side of the existing brace, which sounds like what you are thinking.

Anyway, just thinking out loud with you. There are likely other solutions but I like the idea of reinforcing the existing if possible.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
This would be an easy repair... see first image from another OP that repaired his outrigger.

Also you may find a few of the outriggers dont even use a bolt from the floor extension decking above.. the floor free floats on top of the outrigger...

Video I put together for another group... I also do a complete visual inspect of all the outriggers and you will see my forward front two outriggers are free floating on both sides...

https://youtu.be/BdrPOHPgATA
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:49 AM   #5
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Thanks for all of the replies. I plan to tackle this project next weekend, weather permitting. I'm going to assume that raising the side of the camper enough to get "back to level" is going to be the hardest part. I will use lengths of 2x4 wood blocking and two jacks to see if I can raise it?
Old 02-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I noticed that my kitchen floor had a "crown" to it. See pictures of factory outriggers that cracked and bent. Keystone removed a lot of strength when they made cutouts for slide cables.

The floor above the outriggers floats on them. Using jacks and 2x4's, I straightened floor as much as possible (crown is permanent). Using scrap 1 inch tubing, I reinforced the outriggers so the floor won't sag any more than it already is.

The kitchen slide is right above these outriggers, and the wear bar (mounted at the outside edge of the floor). The weakened outriggers failed after years of bouncing down the road, poor design by Keystone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211116_145135.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	11396   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211116_145044.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	11397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211124_154503.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	11398  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #7
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
Thanks for posting this. I’ll be sure to inspect my outriggers when I repack my bearings this spring.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I took the time to send an inquiry to Lippert regarding the outrigger cracks.. specifically I was interested in their opinion on the small split tab at the end that slides over the main I beam..

These tabs will cracks at that I beam over a period of time.. I’ve attached a photo of what tab I am referring to for reference for others

The areas of concern for me would be the vertical welds and vertical span of the outrigger as well as the right angle bend where the outrigger mates to the floor extension for flooring support and wall supoort..

Anyway.. responses from Lippert …

Final responses received from Lippert regarding cracks on the outriggers..

Emails received from Lippert:

Hi Chuck, are these outriggers that are cracking all in the slide out areas?

Thank you,

David B.

Lippert Customer Care Center Representative
p: 432.LIPPERT | f: 574.534.7161
e: customerservice@lci1.com

My response to David’s email:

From the information I have available No.. One crack on that tab as I have shown is on a slide out underneath and another is forward of the slide out

Response received today:

Hello Chuck

thanks for the pictures. In answer to your questions, the outriggers are normally welded from the bottom up, common weld is about 1-2inches in length.

the pictures of the outriggers with the cracks in them, those should be replaced with new.

I would advise your friends to reach back out to us individually, so we can start cases for each individual trailer separately and review from there

Thank You

Paul W

What will I do if I see one of those tabs cracked? Nothing.

IMO.. if it’s just that little tab that is cracked then I wouldn’t worry.. there is zero structural value to the tab.. it’s that vertical section welded to the main beam that matters along with the right angle that mates against the floor extension that provides the extended floor support ..

**** If you have any cracks in those tabs, or anywhere on the vertical welds to the main trailer beam then contact Lippert and let the folks that built the frame provide you with their technical opinion
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
As a follow up to my OP. I reached out to Sam (Mootana) and he passed my info and pics to Keystone. They have reached back out to me and also started a claim with Lippert. I have provided the frame serial number and photos of the cracks and presently waiting to hear from them.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:05 AM   #10
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
The bolts at the end???? Do they hold the floor down...OR.....The wall floor studding in place?????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:30 AM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
From what I can tell they hold the vertical wall in position at the slide out openings... the outriggers forward of my slides have no bolts on either side ( total of four) and the floor extension just rests on the outrigger bracket