Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Tire Spacing

I have a 2011 Montana 3580RL being delivered in a couple of weeks. (WhooHooo!!!) I would like to order a set of Roto Choks, but I don't know the critical distance between the wheels in order to order them. Could someone with the same model Montana or similar model, like a 3400RL let me know what that spacing dimension is? I want to be able to chock this rig up as soon as I get it. Thanks...

tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm afraid I don't have the exact spacing info at hand but am surprised you would need to know that. Does the RotoChock come in different sizes? We use the BAL chocks, which are functionally similar but not identical. They adjust and I just decrease to fit between the wheels and then adjust them to tight.

Just went out and did a quick measurement. It's about 4 inches at the center of the tread. That will vary with what was noted above as well as with tire wear. Also, it will be less immediately after traveling. After snugging them up, go back out in a few hours and snug them some more. I usually snug ours while the tires are still warm. As they cool, diameter decreases and I've seen the chocks sometime nearly ready to fall out. But they do help quite a lot from what we've seen.

Good luck and congratulations on the new Montana! I hope you have years of enjoyment with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Can't remember what brand I bought recently, but when installing them I tried to get them snug but was concerned about too much pressure on the tires. I was thinking about putting stress on the axle/wheel assembly by pushing against them for prolonged periods and affecting the alignment.
Is that a valid concern? Obviously, you don't want to put TOO much pressure on them...I did lock the handle so they don't "grow legs" but unless you really put a LOT of pressure on them, you can just pull them out from between the tires anyway!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Thanks for the help. Going to get them ordered tomorrow.

Yes sreigle, the roto choks come in 8 or 9 sizes based on your wheel spacing. They are truely an awesome chock. You can really tighten them down to minimize movement. I have used them on my last fiver for about 8 years. The secret to enjoying them is to lock them so someone else isn't enjoying them instead of you.

Looking forward to the new Montana. Nice step up from my old Laredo. Thanks again...
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tanner1070

I have a 2011 Montana 3580RL being delivered in a couple of weeks. (WhooHooo!!!) I would like to order a set of Roto Choks, but I don't know the critical distance between the wheels in order to order them. Could someone with the same model Montana or similar model, like a 3400RL let me know what that spacing dimension is? I want to be able to chock this rig up as soon as I get it. Thanks...
I think I shared this with you on rv.net. We have the same chassis as you and I use the "Large" size Rotochok. I don't remember the exact distance between the tires, but the "Large" fit perfectly (they have an "L" on the plate). Congrats on the new Monty. Many happy miles.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Can't remember what brand I bought recently, but when installing them I tried to get them snug but was concerned about too much pressure on the tires. I was thinking about putting stress on the axle/wheel assembly by pushing against them for prolonged periods and affecting the alignment.
Is that a valid concern? Obviously, you don't want to put TOO much pressure on them...I did lock the handle so they don't "grow legs" but unless you really put a LOT of pressure on them, you can just pull them out from between the tires anyway!
I crank ours down snug plus a little on one side and it does push the tires apart a little. Then on the other side I crank them down hard and it pushes those tires apart a little, too. That seems to tighten them on the other side, too.

Still, after the tires cool down I find they have loosened considerably. If I originally put them in right away after driving then after a few hours or next morning I find they're about to fall out so I crank them down again. I've not experienced any problems with this approach.

I'm probably getting them tighter than necessary. They really only need to be snug enough to stop any movement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote