Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Replacement Vinyl Flooring Source

I was wondering if anyone knew where Keystone gets their vinyl flooring from. Had a little accident and a couple of D size batteries got stuck under the kitchen slide. Unknown to us when we got home and extended the slide, the batteries dug into the vinyl flooring as the slide went out and tore out a piece of the soft vinyl flooring about 1' x 1'. Fortunately, the pattern in the flooring has some large square / block patterns in it and will be easy to splice a new piece in if I can find some.

I haven't tried Keystone yet, usually get better and faster results asking the forum.

Thanks,
Don

tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We have had all kinds of things get under the kitchen slide we even had the dogs water dish get under it.

So I had the boss lady drive the truck and trailer and I watched what goes on when the rig is going down the road.

On highway 80 between Clewiston Florida and More haven Florida there is a big sweeping curve about half way. She went around the curve in the curbside lane at 60Mph and I followed in the passing lane.
The kitchen slide leaned out at the top at least 4 inches. Now we know how road dirt gets in the trailer when we travel.

As for your flooring I wish you luck but I would think you would have better luck going to one of the larger flooring company’s you see in most medium and large cities with the piece you have removed and see if they can match it.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
It would be a lot of work but you may be able ti "mine" some flooring from beneath the carpeting near the kitchen or the bathroom.

Good luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You might find some flooring inside some of the cabinets
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don, while going through the factory tour at the Fall Rally we see how the are put together and the vinyl is put down before the cabinets are put into place so as has been said previously you might be able to take the vinyl up from under on of them by just cutting it out by opening a door or under the sink drawers. God luck and let us know how things turn out and what you decide to do!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

It would be a lot of work but you may be able ti "mine" some flooring from beneath the carpeting near the kitchen or the bathroom.

Good luck.

Walt
Along the same lines, look beneath the stairs if the vinyl goes that far. I remember that the vinyl actually went a good ways beneath our steps. The grill removes easily, it is attached by screws.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Some great ideas guys. I hadn't really thought of stealing a piece from somewhere it wouldn't be noticed. I have the 3580Rl model. That means most of my kitchen cabinets are in the slide, which is all carpet under them and not on the main floor of the trailer...but, I do have the center island. I am thinking if I can see how that is fastened to the floor, it might be relatively simple to remove, cut out a piece vinyl and put it bac. Or possibly under the refrigerator, or if worst came to worst, I could but it out of the entry closet and replace it with something different in there. I have to cut out the exact same part of the pattern that was torn out. fortunately, if I get the right piece with the same pattern, you will never be able to tell it was patched.

You guys are great, you have gotten my creative juices flowing now. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don, take the drawers out of the center island and see if the pattern matches the bad spot torn up. If it does it's an easy cut with a good sharp knife and a straight edge. Cutting the bad spot out is a similar job.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Ron, there is only one drawer in the island is under the counter top. The rest is cabinet doors. The entire bottom of the island has a false wood bottom. Probably the only cabinet Montana makes that doesn't utilize the floor as the bottom. I need to see if the bottom comes out separately. I doubt it does and I certainly don't think I want to take the whole thing out with the plumbing and electrical. I will probably use some floor out of the closet and replace the closet floor with something similar. Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Worst case, if you have an enclosed bathroom, you could replace the bathroom floor with something the wife likes, and you would have a large piece for patching. Looking at ours, square footage is minimal and an easy install, particularly if you pull the toilet.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote