Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #41
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Hey Tom, I only wanted to clarify things more because my CCC was way off the mark in my case and while your math is correct, I wanted to point out that the brochure is NOT what you want to go by.
Art...Puleeeese read my post. The number to which I refer is not from the brochure but from the sticker that is on every truck (pillar driver's side), is different for every truck and it to the nearest pound.

I believe we are beating a dead horse here, fellas, I'm gone.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #42
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
What do mean "I'm gone"? ggg You started this thread. Now just suffer with the rest of us. ggg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #43
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Tom, yes, I agree with what you said, but in my case with all the options, accessories and things permanently attached to my truck, my CCC on the label is no longer accurate.

We must be getting tired, between what Irlp posted most recently and Rich, this is not that hard to understand any more and in fact, those 4 steps Irlp provided has simplified how to be weight compliant.

Ironically, I recall when I first joined the MOC, many of the members had the "I can tow anything with my diesel truck". I was so shocked. There's not as much of that any more at least being posted and we all seem to argue on how to become more weight compliant, but we are arguing the same thing, which is - Know how to figure this out! Sure, there are probably many that still believe it's okay to tow overweight, but that is no longer as public in this forum as it used to be.

There are some stories that make non-compliance obvious like the F-150 towing a 3 axle toy hauler, or the Toyota Tundra that towed the space shuttle 10 miles to it's final resting place at 10 miles an hour on streets cleared out hours in advance, and that picture of the Chevy blazer that was modified in the rear end to hook up an old fifth wheel (that was impressive, but I don't think they went anywhere with it). At least, we now argue that any amount overweight is not as safe and responsible as was previously argued as okay as long as the diesel didn't bust.

No one gets to be gone. We are all agreeing on the side of safety more than before. With these Montanas getting larger and larger because our living life is getting larger, let's just be smarter, too. Don't do what you want... do what is right and compliant. I am about 600 lbs from a new truck and that next behemoth trailer will get me there. I will NOT rely on brochures, specifications or salespeople. I can now rely on knowledge and other members of the MOC. Thanks for that!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That Art is what this forum is all about.

I was always weight compliant as my family was in a business that involved trucking and I drove big and heavy trucks at a early age. There were also weight police back in the day and I would suffer the wrath of my Dad if I held up a load for being over weight. We drove bus and school bus after we retired got a CDL and learned more about weight and its effect of safety. Yes I am a hard core weight weight police. I also learned during my time selling Rv's that most buyers know little about weight as swell as many dealers and salespeople.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I have occasionally done duty on the weight police line. I have appreciated the effort taken by others to educate me and anybody else that wants to learn how to analyse their complex rig and get it right. In my case, another limiting factor is the weight allowed by my Ontario general operator's license, class "G". Although my knowledge may be superseded by recent changes to Ontario law, I believe that I am limited to a GCW of 11,000kg., or about 23,500lbs., without upgrading to a class "A"', since the rig is articulated. The class "A", carried by OTR commercial drivers, is a whole other world of hurt, requiring medical certification on a regular basis. So, I weigh the rig axle by axle every once in a while (more often when I was learning the weight game from Art, Rich and others) and clean out the bay regularly. Our tv can fairly easily easily go overweight on the front axle because of the oversize fuel tank. I have done as Irip suggests and weighed the tv and trailer separately, then together. If you can hog the scale, stop short, disconnect, drive forward to weigh the tv axle by axle, back up to re-connect, then drive forward to re-weigh each axle.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #46
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've even done one side of the axle (then use math to calculate the other side) to ensure the weight is balanced side to side, too.

I found that the rear axle right side carries less weight than the other three tires. However, the design of the rig with the full fridge and cabinets in the front left corner, the range, sink, countertop and more full cabinets in the front right corner, and finally the entertainment center, fireplace, glass television and more cabinetry with stuff in the rear left corner, this doesn't leave much for the rear right corner except for the sofa bed and its lightweight metal bed framing so there's not much weight there. I'll have to figure out how to store and carry stuff (maybe some dense hardwood firewood) in the sofa area.

Taking several weights (both, then individual, loaded and not loaded) also ensures the mathematics each time. If the weight of the individual truck, and the individual trailer do not weigh the same as the combined truck and trailer, then you know you better go find another scale. Fortunately, I haven't seen that, but I've seen others report it. Makes you wonder why the difference but it happens.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The tire load was a bit heavier on on 06 3400 drivers side due to the extra weight on the side with the kitchen slide. We do not have a scale long enough nearby to weigh the rig and a truck stop is a distance front our driveway but I know from experience that this 13 3402 will weigh no more than the 06 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote