Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Wiring Issues

Coming home from NH yesterday, I got the "Check Trailer Wiring" message. Almost immediately "Trailer Connected" appeared. This happened off and on repeatedly along the drive. Finally, the "Check Trailer Wiring" stayed on. My running lights were on on the Montana, so it wasn't a complete disconnect. However, I had no trailer brakes when I manually applied them. I'm not sure how many of the other features of the 7-pin connector were operational, but a multi-meter test when I got home indicated I may not have had anything. I'm guessing something with the groundwire due to the off-then-on pattern I was getting. I went under the truck and looked for anything obvious, but everything was visually ok. Now begins the process of pulling connections apart, chasing the wiring up to the hood and to the controller if necessary to find the problem. When I had my Cougar TT, I used to get this intermittently, so I suspect the truck, not the Montana. Question is, has anyone had this issue, and where did you find the problem? I'd like to begin in the most likely locations. As far as getting home safely, the Banks Speedbrake paid for itself in one trip.
Thanks for any suggestions that may help make it easier to find. I'll let everyone know what I find in hopes it'll help someone else someday.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Bear in mind that the trailer brake wires run inside the axles. On my 2010, had an intermittent problem - numerous attempts to diagnose as to truck or trailer problem were negative until a brake tech pulled the trailer brake wires out of the axles. Found one had completely worn off insulation, and would short out as it moved around inside the axle. They re-ran the wires externally, never happened again. Spent a lot of time with car service techs and rv techs before this guy guessed what was wrong. He claimed it is a common problem with Dexter axles.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
same issue, same solution on our 2010.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
wward208
Established Member

M.O.C. #9347
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

Coming home from NH yesterday, I got the "Check Trailer Wiring" message. Almost immediately "Trailer Connected" appeared. This happened off and on repeatedly along the drive. Finally, the "Check Trailer Wiring" stayed on. My running lights were on on the Montana, so it wasn't a complete disconnect. However, I had no trailer brakes when I manually applied them. I'm not sure how many of the other features of the 7-pin connector were operational, but a multi-meter test when I got home indicated I may not have had anything. I'm guessing something with the groundwire due to the off-then-on pattern I was getting. I went under the truck and looked for anything obvious, but everything was visually ok. Now begins the process of pulling connections apart, chasing the wiring up to the hood and to the controller if necessary to find the problem. When I had my Cougar TT, I used to get this intermittently, so I suspect the truck, not the Montana. Question is, has anyone had this issue, and where did you find the problem? I'd like to begin in the most likely locations. As far as getting home safely, the Banks Speedbrake paid for itself in one trip.
Thanks for any suggestions that may help make it easier to find. I'll let everyone know what I find in hopes it'll help someone else someday.
wward208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
wward208
Established Member

M.O.C. #9347
Fought this same problem for 3 years on my 2010 3150 and what I finally found was sloppy connections in my seven pin plug on camper. After fixing connections on plug problem has not re-occurred. Hope this helps.
wward208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Likely one of the wires in the axles is shorting to ground.

To troubleshoot move wires in each axle while another person monitors brake controller to verify fault goes away.

Solution is to remove wires in the axles and wire tie new ones on outside of axle.

Common problem that happened on 2 of my units
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been underneath the camper checking the wires. It's hooked up to the truck with the key on. I'm not getting the fault now. I'm getting a gain reading when manually applying the brakes. I have had Debbie in the truck watching for the message while I shake and pull and push the wires going into and coming out of the axles at all four tire locations. Can't get a fault. I have done the same underneath the truck with the same results. Everything appears solid. I will add that it was raining on the way home Wednesday and possibly moisture played a role. I suppose I could soak things down and try again. Thanks to the suggestions here, I am tempted to pull the wires out of the axles in spite of the fact I can't get the fault while messing with them. Not sure where else to turn. The wiring coming from the pigtail to the junction box on the pinbox is secure as well. I've checked all these locations while hooked up to the truck, key on. I'm considering pulling tires to check individual connections.
As far as the 7-pin plug goes, I am getting good voltage from all points and, once again, no amount of persuasion seems to interrupt the connection. Thanks again everyone, I'm going back in..

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
B&W Companion
Old 07-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a similar problem like wward. The connections for the new 7 pin connector to support the fiver looked good, but I removed cleaned and reconnected them before my sporadic problem went away. I just think there was a poor connection somewhere that buzzed out with a meter okay (but the truck was sitting idle and not underway or being stressed), but while being used under tow, a problem occurred. I don't think the OP's solution will be that easy.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
mjcawood

M.O.C. #17548
Reviewing the past comments, having the same issue with a new 2015 Mountaineer and 2008 F250. The trailer has only been pulled about 900 miles, have checked the wiring in the pin box, connection on the pig tail to the truck. Have had the truck into the dealership checking it out (since it is older then the 5 wheel).Not the best with electrical issues and don't want to void the factory warranty, but sure isn't doing any good just setting in the carport either. Any suggestions?
mjcawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
It can also happen when there is a short in the wiring inside the brake drum.

I had the same problem, and it was one of the magnet wires being rubbed by the linkage arm that holds the magnet, which moves back and forth when the brakes are applied.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We haven't heard back from sambam, I wonder if he found his problem.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Revisiting here. I haven't been out camping again since getting home the first of July. I posted the question here and acted on the responses that I got. I have not pulled the wires out of the axles because I couldn't get the fault no matter how much I pushed and pulled and shook the wiring, and I haven't pulled the tires to look at individual brakes. We are going out this coming weekend for a week in NH. At the moment, the fault is not present. It cleared just before I got home at the first of the month and I haven't been able to re-create it. By no means do I think it fixed itself, and I am expecting to see it again. Maybe it had something to do with the rainy weather we were getting on the drive home that day. Anyway, I am intending to trouble-shoot further on the road when it happens again. I haven't posted because I really don't have anything to add at this point. I appreciate all the suggestions and will investigate each one until I find it. When I do, I will post the solution and hopefully it will help others, as well.

B&W Companion
Old 07-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #13
miamogue
Established Member

M.O.C. #17220
I am also having the same problem on my 2015 Silverado and 2015 Montana. It is an intermittent problem that started to come and go. Was alright on 4000 mile trip over this past winter, but now comes and goes on shorter trips. Does not happen all the time and I have been unable to reproduce the problem manually. Sure would hope someone on this forum solves this one.
miamogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #14
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I had the same problem with an 08 Silverado. Problem appeared during rains and would stay around a while, clear up and return. After so many returns, it would stay and I didn't have trailer brakes. Dealer finally found an issue under the truck. Some kind of sensor. Replaced it and all was well for another couple years and it returned. Changed the sensor and all was well again. Finally sold the truck.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
mjcawood

M.O.C. #17548
Thanks everyone for your input. It has been very disappointing on getting any local companies to assist in this matter, even tried the Keystone service line. The closest Montana dealership said it would be a waste of time to bring it in, as that if it wasn't acting up at the time, they don't have the equipment to event check it and more then likely its the truck and to try Camping World for suggestions. The mobile RV service told me a few things, but doesn't seem to want to come out and check it either. With everyone telling me a different story, I am posing these questions to see what you think.
1. Can you cut the brake wire that goes though the axle at one end, pull it out of the axel and reattach at the wheel you cut it at, then zip tie the wire onto the axle?
2. Should I take my truck in for a second time to have it checked out and maybe a new plug put on the bumper?
3. How safe is it to pull without the electric brakes working with my F250? Everyone says there is no service to pick up and tow it into the repair shop and my truck should stop a trailer over 20,000 lbs with out a big issue.

To spend this kind of money for a large yard ornament that you cant use and cant find someone to really assist you with fixing has been most frustrating.
mjcawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
mjcawood - you say you have a 2008 Ford. Are you aware there was a Ford technical bulletin (problem) addressing water intrusion into the back of the plug causing "Trailer Faults"?? As your problem also seems to occur in wet weather I would investigate the rear plug first.

DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #17
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mjcawood
... my truck should stop a trailer over 20,000 lbs with out a big issue.

I'm not sure I'd want to test that theory.

B&W Companion
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #18
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
I have seen this problem many times on semi tractors and trailers where they were unhooked and rehooked several times a day thus got a lot of excess wear and stress on the wiring inside the plugs. Most often the fault would be a poor connection, of course it always worked fine when in the shop and I tried to duplicate the issue. Then I would take the plug apart and a wire would practicly fall out. Just my experience.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote