Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I believe you got some bad ideas about your regulator valve. I doubt if you'll get any propane unless your lever is pointed to either one of your tanks. If you put the lever in the middle ... look for a green window when you open the tanks ... no green ... no propane. I'm not a fan of relying on the auto change over ... you can end up with no propane if you don't keep track of which tank is empty. I open one tank at a time.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #22
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyus View Post
It was recently suggested to leave both tanks open and put the switch lever in the middle and the tank will switch over to the other tank when the 1st tank is empty. Is this correct?

We have the 3730 Montana.

thank you
The switch need's to point to one of the tanks not the middle! And both tanks need to be open foe the valve to work properly.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not on ours. The indicator points to the tank in use and turns red and switches over when empty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never had a problem with the auto switch over function since 2006 . We have a feel for how long a tank last and take a look accordingly. Both tanks are always open and the switch over points to the tank in use. It auto switches and the indicator on the in
use tank turns red. we turn the switch to the current in use tank which now will turn green then pull the empty tank for refill. I think there has been some miss information on how the regulators work. We Have experienced very cold weather and run a tank dry in 4 days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Listen to Richfaa. He has it exactly right. This is the way it is supposed to work.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #26
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
The regulator should switch over to the opposite tank once the tank you have the handle pointed to runs out. I am not sure what placing the handle in the middle position would do. Have never done this and mine has always switched to the full tank if there is one.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #27
kencare
Established Member

M.O.C. #9836
richfaa has it exactly right,easy to manage
kencare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #28
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
No - point the lever to the tank you want to run off of 1st and when the tank is empty, the valve will switch to the other tank automatically. Check every day to see if the valve has a red band and no green showing. That means the tank the valve is pointing to is empty and needs to be filled. Turning the valve towards the other tank should give you a green band if the tank has LP in it.

Putting the valve in the middle will run off of both tanks and when you are out - both tanks will be empty. Not what you want to happen
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #29
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
Putting the valve in the middle will run off of both tanks and when you are out - both tanks will be empty. Not what you want to happen
That is exactly what my son-in-law did. He is now doing it correctly after learning the hard way.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #30
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Just because the system is suppose to work that way, and it does, it doesn’t mean that’s the best way to manage your propane. After wintering in Texas the last two years I have learned that it’s better (for me anyway) to leave the second tank closed. When the first runs out it’s a matter of minutes to switch to the full tank, get the empty filled the next couple of days and you have a full backup again. The first year down here I ran out twice using the auto switchover. Both times in the middle of the night in sub freezing weather. Hasn’t happened since. Just my 2 cents.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #31
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
Just because the system is suppose to work that way, and it does, it doesn’t mean that’s the best way to manage your propane. After wintering in Texas the last two years I have learned that it’s better (for me anyway) to leave the second tank closed. When the first runs out it’s a matter of minutes to switch to the full tank, get the empty filled the next couple of days and you have a full backup again. The first year down here I ran out twice using the auto switchover. Both times in the middle of the night in sub freezing weather. Hasn’t happened since. Just my 2 cents.
It seems to me this process guarantees you run out of propane at the end of each tank. Then it is a trip outside at oh dark thirty in your BVDs and freezing temperature to turn on the second tank.

Leaving both tanks on and checking the status periodically, as you do the oil or gas tank levels in your truck, is a much more pleasant experience.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote