Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #21
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Theunz, apparently you are not of retirement age by your comments above. I know a lot of retirees that are probably the best drivers around. They aren't in a hurry and they take their time and are safe drivers. Yes, there are some that should not be on the road because they have never owned an rv before, driven a pickup or towed a camper of any kind. But that also describes younger RVers. Remember one thing-- that retirement age is getting younger and younger so you can't say the person purchasing an RV has reflexes and vison that is diminished. Don't classify those of us that are retired as "old folks ready for the assisted living homes!" Thanks!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Often a large RV is purchased by a person of retirement age (when reflexes and vision are somewhat diminished) with no previous towing experience. Yet many states will allow you to drive one with no training or special license. In Oklahoma anyway you can't ride a motorcycle without taking a driving test on one, but a large RV is not given a second thought. This needs to change!
Well, change it in OK and leave freedom alone everywhere else. Some of us old farts are in very good shape. Some youngsters drink and dope and drive.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Well Rondo, I think 66 qualifies me to be of retirement age I'm pretty sure that scientific research has established that MOST people have diminished reflexes and vision as they hit these "golden years". I'm glad you feel that you're one of the few that don't , I know I'm not one of the fortunate ones. And, yes, not being in a hurry does help to be a better driver, except when you're driving 55 on a winding hilly road with a 65 mph speed limit and a line of cars behind you chomping at the bit to get to work or to an appointment on time. We all like to think that we're still 30, but when something unexpected happens we often find that we're not as quick as we thought. Myself, well I have no problem going to the assisted living home as long as I'm so mentally incompetent that I think it's just a new 5th wheel with maid service . Can't complain about your positive attitude though, that's what keeps us going!
Old 04-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #24
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Yes Captnjohn, most of us are. But what about those who are not and still insist on driving? Do we just let them endanger the rest of us? Shoud we not have the freedom of driving on roads free of dangerous drivers? Wish I could show you my parents car, it's dented on every corner but dad thought his driving was just fine. After he died mom had the dents removed so she could put her own dents in it. I bet most of these happened in parking lots except for the ones from driving through the garage door. I also wonder how many cars they "bumped" in parking lots and didn't say a thing to the owners. I bet those owners wish they were required to be retested every 5 or so years after reaching a certain age. I myself have a dent in one of my cars from an anonymous parking idiot. By the way I'm an auto enthusiast and also think that we are already over regulated, however when your freedom infringes on mine than we have a problem.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #25
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The big dangers that get folks in trouble include:

-Too much speed
-Aggressive driving - tailgating, cutting folks off
-Inattentive driving - texting, cell phones
-Impairment - drugs, booze, sleep deprivation

Although there are exceptions, I have to say I don't see these bad habits exhibited as often by those driving or pulling RVs as I do with the general motoring public. Nor do I see many accidents involving RVs.

I personally drive more defensively when pulling the rig, wouldn't consider having a drink before, text or try to drive a 14-16 hour day.

Not sure that licensing requirements make much of a difference. It would be interesting to see if there is a real difference in RV accident rates between states based on RV license requirements.

There are knuckleheads that do stupid things but many of us with a few more years and experiences under our belts tend to take it fairly easy and don't get in a big rush.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Yes Captnjohn, most of us are. But what about those who are not and still insist on driving? Do we just let them endanger the rest of us? Shoud we not have the freedom of driving on roads free of dangerous drivers? Wish I could show you my parents car, it's dented on every corner but dad thought his driving was just fine. After he died mom had the dents removed so she could put her own dents in it. I bet most of these happened in parking lots except for the ones from driving through the garage door. I also wonder how many cars they "bumped" in parking lots and didn't say a thing to the owners. I bet those owners wish they were required to be retested every 5 or so years after reaching a certain age. I myself have a dent in one of my cars from an anonymous parking idiot. By the way I'm an auto enthusiast and also think that we are already over regulated, however when your freedom infringes on mine than we have a problem.
And when your unfounded in many/most cases feelings infringe on my freedoms we have a real problem. I have not seen a RV driver texting yet but plenty of younger people text a lot. Maybe we should not permit cell phones in vehicles of those under 60, we will start with those of your family? How many semi drivers cause accidents? Just look at the one 2 days ago that killed and injured many in 28 vehicles. How do you wish to farther restrict their freedoms?
In my younger days there were only so many vacation days and weekends are short. Hurry and drive long distances to get to the destination. Now retired and the destination will be there when I get there, no matter an hour or a day or a week late.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:54 AM   #27
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay all an RV driving test does is demonstrate that for 30 minutes you showed you have the basic skills. Pretty much every knucklehead we encounter on the road has taken a test so they can drive their car. Testing doesn't make them a better driver it just means they should know better but care not to.

One thing they do stress on the testing is that you are a lot bigger, braking takes longer, and should be driving slower in some cases because of your size. So yes, driving 55 in a 65 on a windy twisty road to some may seem like a lack of ability, but to others it is the proper amount of caution.

And maybe those chomping at the bit to get around need a refresher course emphasizing the safety requirements of driving a larger vehicle. Not to mention that their destination is not a checkered flag.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Sad to see a nice and expensive RV and TV tore up like that. Exactly what the cause was doesn’t appear to be obvious to me..

And Yes at 65 I do drive and continue to drive much better than many of the idiots I see blasting down the road at 80 with a 16K toy hauler or ultra lite TT..

And yes I drive under the posted speed limit.. and out here in Idaho and over in parts of Montana where we frequently travel 65 on a windy road even without a trailer is just “stupid”...

And I have 20/20 vision and my reflexes are quite fine.. I drive slower, constantly scan “down the road” for potential issues, and am better prepared to react to sudden issues.

And I ride two different motorcycles and testing for motorcycles has not a thing to do with driving and towing an RV...

YMMV
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #29
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Back in the late 60s I spent 7 years driving semis. Covered the 13 western US so drove in all kinds of weather. I am here to tell you the worst is a trucker or an RV doing 50 or 55 on a 65 or 70 speed road. I don’t know what the laws are now but when I was driving it was 5 cars behind you find a spot to allow them to get by you.

Or better said have some common decency and sense and get to hell out of the way so other people will not try to pass when they should not. You are a major hazard on the road and could and do cause an accidents.

Just saying is all.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Back in the late 60s I spent 7 years driving semis. Covered the 13 western US so drove in all kinds of weather. I am here to tell you the worst is a trucker or an RV doing 50 or 55 on a 65 or 70 speed road. I don’t know what the laws are now but when I was driving it was 5 cars behind you find a spot to allow them to get by you.

Or better said have some common decency and sense and get to hell out of the way so other people will not try to pass when they should not. You are a major hazard on the road and could and do cause an accidents.

Just saying is all.
Here we can agree. If the rig is not safe enough or driver not confident enough to drive 65 he should park and buy a tent.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #31
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post

Just saying is all.
I appreciated your perspective Wayne. I've spoken with other OTR drivers who have shared your same advice and frustration. There are plenty of studies out there that prove what you are saying. Yet, commercial carriers and their insurance companies still hold their rigs below the speed limit. I understand why they do it, but it seems counterintuitive at times. I'd much rather deal with the person doing 80 on the road any day over the person doing 50 or 60 when the speed limit is 70.

Similarly, driving (not towing) becomes very frustrating when a group of rigs, semis and/or RVs, are jockeying for position on the interstate where the speed limit is 70 or 75 with all their rigs running at 65 +/- 2 mph. Most are pretty considerate, but there always seems to be one who is going to pass 5 rigs doing 66 while the other five are doing 65. Feel free to check my math, but passing 5 rigs doing 1 mph faster than they are, takes at least 5 minutes and closer to 10 minutes if they have proper spacing. That's over 10 miles of travel folks. All while the person who wants to go 75 that is sitting behind the passing rig could have been 1.5 miles farther down the road had they been allowed by the log jam.

As Wayne said ... Just saying is all.

Now that we tow a sizable 5th wheel, I find myself being very aware of who is around me and the fact that I'm now one of those doing 65. All while knowing most want to be doing 75. So, right lane only unless the rig in front of me is the slow one on the road. And then it's time to be patient and pick your passing opportunity, and maybe burn a little extra diesel to pass faster, to minimize interference with people trying to get somewhere faster than you are. Sure, I could set the cruise at 70 or 75, but the fuel mileage difference suggest that I shouldn't.

Once again, just saying.

Be courteous and safe. It makes for a much more enjoyable adventure.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
A friend runs from CA to NC to MA and returns. His employer pays a $250 bonus for not exceeding 65 mph. He also gets an annual bonus for being accident free. He has over 6 million accident free miles.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live in Va. We don’t have any special driver test for an RV. We don’t have any problem with older drivers with RVs. They we are probably among the safest on the road. I see no point in a special driver test for RVs except to give up some more of our rights.

Virginia still doesn’t interfere with what it’s citizens do any more than necessary. That is why Virginia is ranked in the top 5 states to do business. Maybe other states could learn something there.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #34
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I see more accidents with motorcycles than RV's so the road test alone won't change things plus those tend to be younger drivers. Speed is the issue more than anything else. Most drivers ignore recommended speed on curves and that's fine with just a car but when I'm towing I alwanys respect the recommendations. I also notice that if I'm doing the speed limit (which I try to always do so as not to hold others up) I am the slowest thing on the road. Last week I had a guy pass me on the shoulder he was so impatient and then he got off at the next exit, WTF. I was doing 67 in a 70 and had cars on my left and he couldn't wait for one minute till his exit came up and I'm betting he wasn't a reiree...

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #35
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
That wrecked Montana - most likely due to speed on a winding road. With the rain, it may have also skidded though it appeared dry when it was picked up. I'm sure that we have all experienced a white knuckle curve that suddenly appeared. Mine have been on short interstate ramps where you need to go from 60-70 mph to 25 or so and those magnet powered brakes aten't cutting it - think of the Northeast as your frame of reference - other areas will be similar.

As far as age - yep, I'm retired/elderly (tho seldom admit to that fact) so have slowed down some. I also stay in the right interstate lane as much as possible but do worry about those idiots (phones, little ol' ladies) that can't seem to understand that they need to accelerate to blend with traffic. Then there are those other idiots hauling an RV. Interstate speed in NY State is 65. I generally run 65-68 and am passed by almost every towable RV traveling well in the 70-80 mph mark. All I can think about is that most are still using China Bomb tires and the that panic stop with magnet brakes. Oh well, just don't involve me in your accident.

Licensing RV haulers - may be a good idea to at least start newbies with some simple rules of physics, but where do you end government in peoples lives ...............
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I disagree. I see few RV idiots and the majority of those are transporting to dealers.
We stand by the statement .The worst offenders, speeding we keep to 62 65 when towing and rarely pass another RV. Improper hook up the TT towers are the worst offenders can you imagine towing on the interstate at interstate speeds hooked only to the ball.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I live in Va. We don’t have any special driver test for an RV. We don’t have any problem with older drivers with RVs. They we are probably among the safest on the road. I see no point in a special driver test for RVs except to give up some more of our rights.

Virginia still doesn’t interfere with what it’s citizens do any more than necessary. That is why Virginia is ranked in the top 5 states to do business. Maybe other states could learn something there.
Lynwood
Ohio also has no special requirement for a RV buy it and drive it away.We disapprove of that .Driving a 4 wheeler and a large heavy RV are 2 different things. My reflexes have slowed down I noticed it at about the age of 70 which is when we sold both of our Motorcycles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #38
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Well im retired and only 44, (long story) here in California the speed limit for towing anything is 55. I drive while towing 55-60 and still get passed. Driving with a 41 ft trailer or any trailer with a significant amount of weight is about constant risk assessment. in California if I decide to drive 70 with my trailer thats a choice im making along with accepting the risks and consequences of that action.

outside of California, now this is a different story. I will drive as fast as im comfortable with, while still obeying the speed laws. Straight roads no problems, when the lanes start coming together or there are turns I slow down to the point im comfortable that does not mean driving 45 in 65 zone. I pay attention to the signs they are there for a reason to show top heave vehicles what speed is too much and I follow them.

I leave plenty of buffer space to the point cars usually get in front of me not knowing thats a safe distance to stop my rig if needed but I constantly scan, I improvise adapt and overcome as needed. Semper Fi !
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #39
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yes I see it all the time truckers climbing a grade at 40 mph trying to pass each other. Not so much RVs as their tow vehicles do better on grades. But come on states what about lane control.Or the Highway patrol citing them for impeding the flow of traffic.

But with the driver shortage there are lots of new inexperienced drivers out there. Plus the me first attitude is all part of the problem.

Also I don’t see common curtesy on the road anymore. Like when passing the truck being passed would flash his lights when it was safe for you to pull back into the the right lane. Don’t see that anymore. I asked my nephew about that, as he is a line driver for UPS. He said that the Company’s lawyers tell them not to do that as by doing so they have accepted legal responsibility if something happens as that overtaking trucks moves back in.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #40
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Just returned from our souther roost last week 1000 miles and got the flash maybe half a dozen times. I will usually flash if there is traffic and I know the truck needs to get back in my lane. Otherwise I let them use their own judgement. I find more times than not if I flash my lights they just ignore me anyway and roll on.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote