Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
tweinzatl

M.O.C. #18152
Roof/AC return leak

Hello all, when it rains, I’ve experienced dripping from the air returns in the ceiling of my ‘12 Montana since I bought it in 2015. A mobile repair guy took a look and tightened the rooftop AC unit bolts, but still leaked. Campers world replaced the AC unit seal, but still leaks. Now I also have a soft area adjacent to the AC unit! Ugh!!!
I have a hunch that what started as something fairly easily fixable has now turned in to major roof repair due to water penetration and resulting structural wood rot.
What can be done to fix this problem besides a complete roof replacement?

tweinzatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
tweinzatl

M.O.C. #18152
Oh, and I neglected to mention that my husband agreed to follow through on maintenance or repair issues this entire time. We’re no longer together and now it’s my problem to fix....along with a missing back side panel that was destroyed during our last road trip when we had not 1, but 2 separate tire blow outs!
Old 07-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Lilrube
Established Member

M.O.C. #23143
Had same problem with my AC unit did all the same repairs with same results. Read a fix on here that solved the problem. Taped the joint of the ac cover as the top cap left many open gaps when seated. I used clear gorilla tape and not one drop of rain since. Been over a year now.
Lilrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
This is a well known problem. Here is a link to the correction if the AC is a Dometic Blizzard.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79726-2280.pdf
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
tweinzatl

M.O.C. #18152
Thank you
Old 07-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
tweinzatl

M.O.C. #18152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch & Kathy View Post
This is a well known problem. Here is a link to the correction if the AC is a Dometic Blizzard.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79726-2280.pdf
Wow! This is the first I’ve heard of this problem fix! I wonder why Camper’s World didn’t know about it.
Thanks so much. Very much appreciate your help.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweinzatl View Post
Wow! This is the first I’ve heard of this problem fix! I wonder why Camper’s World didn’t know about it.
Thanks so much. Very much appreciate your help.
You likely don’t have a Dometic Blizzard on a 2012 Montana as the blizzard model came out late 2016 or early 2017. What you likely have is a brisk air maybe a brisk air 2. Easy way to tell just upload a picture of your ac roof shroud from the side.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Another thing to check is that some AC units had a mounting bracket that had some holes in it, that if they weren't used to secure the unit to the roof, needed to be filled with a sealer. Some were filled with a sealer that came out over time and others weren't filled with sealer at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac leak, roof damage