Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Change out my headlights on 2016 f350

Change out entire headlight assembly and added led bulbs . Makes a world of difference. Have independent low and high beams now. Also changed out fog light bulbs with led and programmed with forscan so now my fog lights stay on with high beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_193913.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	8128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200416_184325.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	8129  

E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #22
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Well, well well.... I just sent back a pair of LEDs to Amazon that didn't fit. Out here in AZ, we have a "dark skies" ordinance - meaning no lights anywhere. Being in my 60's now, I can't see as well at night. The stock bulbs are like two lit candles on my bumper. I don't like the idea of the LEDs throwing codes so I will have to investigate further. Thanks guys.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
Change out entire headlight assembly and added led bulbs . Makes a world of difference. Have independent low and high beams now. Also changed out fog light bulbs with led and programmed with forecast so now my fog lights stay on with high beams.

Did you mean Forscan?

What bulbs and assemblies did you use?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrungis View Post
Well, well well.... I just sent back a pair of LEDs to Amazon that didn't fit. Out here in AZ, we have a "dark skies" ordinance - meaning no lights anywhere. Being in my 60's now, I can't see as well at night. The stock bulbs are like two lit candles on my bumper. I don't like the idea of the LEDs throwing codes so I will have to investigate further. Thanks guys.
Go to Headlight Revolution. They have a great video and will answer your questions if you call them. You don’t won’t Amazon bulbs.
Lynwood
Old 12-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #25
JBS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20108
Change out the bulbs to the new brighter style a little pricey but worth it.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
I purchased the headlights from ebay. The bulbs are Katana H7 and H11. My fog lights are Beamtech. With Forscan you can change the settings so you don't throw any codes or you can install resistors. I purchased them at O'Reilly. With Forscan I also added compass, exterior temp, and exhaust filter % to guages.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #27
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I don't appreciate these new trucks with 4 headlights coming at me when it is dark! Just got back from coast trip through the coast range mountains and ran into a lot of full size trucks with all 4 headlights on and many with fog lights blazing away to blind me and no one dimmed their lights. It is the big 4x4's with 4 headlights that leave them on when approaching traffic. Some of these fog lamps are very bright and with them on can blind you when they are coming at you. Be respectful when using your brights AND fog lamps.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #28
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Several years ago I got tired of the dim factory halogen bulbs in my 2012 3500HD. After a lot of research on LED replacement bulbs I bought my LED bulbs from GTR lighting. They are not generic replacement bulbs. They are a high end custom designed bulbs to produce correct bean pattern and they are incredible bright. They are 220.00 a pair and come with a life time warranty.
I first installed the low beams about 3-4 years ago. I couldn't believe the bright white light these bulbs produced. They illuminated the road like daylight. But you must check the alignment of your headlight after installation. I had to re-adjust my headlights. There are videos on YouTube to show you how to measure and adjust them. I was so impressed with these bulbs that I replaced my High beams and fog light.
About a year ago one of my low beam bulbs failed. I contacted the company for a replacement under the lifetime warranty. My bulbs where no longer being produced because they came out with a newer upgraded bulb. So they sent me a pair of their new Ultra 2.0 bulbs under warranty no problem. If you are looking for high quality replacement LED bulbs and that come with a lifetime warranty I highly recommend GTR lighting. They are the last bulbs you will ever buy. Just remember you must check and adjust your headlight after installation so you don't blind other drivers...Here's the link:

https://www.gtrlighting.com
Old 12-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #29
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I am quite happy with my 2019 LED Lights. I don’t usually get flashed and I can see quite well. For my two cents I absolutely hate the projector beams as they mainly just blind oncoming vehicles like me even if I am in my truck, way worse when in a SUV or a sedan. Worse thing that DOT ever did was to allow projection beams with out forcing manufacturers to install the leveling devices like Europe requires so oncoming traffic is not blinded. My wife’s RDX has probably the best lighting (LED) that I have ever seen. Does not blind oncoming vehicles and I have had her follow me when I was in my old Accord sedan with no issues. The dim lights only throw a beam a certain height and length which is a very bright white light but does not bother oncoming traffic as nobody flashes us. Bright light really really light up the whole road and nearby barrow pits. Obviously either I dim them when traffic is approaching or Ilet the vehicle do it automatically.
Please get replacement lights that don’t blind oncoming drivers.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:26 AM   #30
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
The new ones (17 and later) have much brighter lights. You can always add a light bar - I have one wired to my upfitter switches.
I have a couple questions: Can you use a lightbar on the hwy without blinding people? I'm not sure how much adjustment they offer. Also, what's an upfitter switch? Thanks for your help.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:07 AM   #31
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I have a couple questions: Can you use a lightbar on the hwy without blinding people? I'm not sure how much adjustment they offer. Also, what's an upfitter switch? Thanks for your help.
You can use a light bar on the highway if it is adjusted so as to point properly at the road and not at oncoming traffic. Aiming is key.
The "upfitter" switches are an option from Ford. Mine has 4 switches on the dash that are use for after market options, such as a light bar, air compressor, etc. They are pre-wired from the factory through the ignition and fused. You only need to tap into the correct switch under the dash. Mine have options for different amp draws, the highest being 25 amp if memory serves. I had intended to use one for the LED lights I installed in the truck bed, but it was much simpler to just install a switch at the tailgate instead.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #32
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Each state has their own laws regarding "AUX" lighting. Here is a link for the laws in each state.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...ght-bars-legal
Old 12-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #33
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Light bars are illegal for on-road use in many states. Even having them uncovered on a highway will get you a ticket in some states. Even in the daytime, lights off, you'll be ticketed if uncovered.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #34
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
Fog lights should be illegal. People set it and forget it to the detriment of the safety of all. I've had them on several vehicles and find them marginally helpful for me, but really good at blinding others. They look really good, like I'm in a real cool truck commercial! And wonder if everyone from the minivans to mazdas to 18 wheelers aren't thinking more about how they look than what they can see.

By law in most places, you're supposed to turn them off for oncoming traffic just as you would your high beams. Yes, I'm old and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. Fog lights don't make up for it. Updated prescription lens do.

The worst are the pickups, nose tipped up by work trailer, rv, or some goatroper hauling stock. Set it, forget it, and blind everyone else from behind as well as oncoming. If it gives law enforcement one more reason to pull someone over I'm all for it. But I don't think they do this much.
BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
[QUOTE=BobbyJ;1209633

The worst are the pickups, nose tipped up by work trailer, rv, or some goatroper hauling stock. Set it, forget it, and blind everyone else from behind as well as oncoming. If it gives law enforcement one more reason to pull someone over I'm all for it. But I don't think they do this much.[/QUOTE]

What should someone do, readjust the headlights every time they hook up a trailer and take it off?
Lynwood
Old 01-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #36
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
What should someone do, readjust the headlights every time they hook up a trailer and take it off?
Lynwood

I seldom drive at night due to an eye condition that LEDs make seeing worse but my truck's headlights are adjusted for trailer hauling. On a Ford you only have up and down and need a long Phillips screwdriver, 5 minutes time is all it takes
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #37
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
Fog lights should be illegal. People set it and forget it to the detriment of the safety of all. I've had them on several vehicles and find them marginally helpful for me, but really good at blinding others. They look really good, like I'm in a real cool truck commercial! And wonder if everyone from the minivans to mazdas to 18 wheelers aren't thinking more about how they look than what they can see.

By law in most places, you're supposed to turn them off for oncoming traffic just as you would your high beams. Yes, I'm old and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. Fog lights don't make up for it. Updated prescription lens do.

The worst are the pickups, nose tipped up by work trailer, rv, or some goatroper hauling stock. Set it, forget it, and blind everyone else from behind as well as oncoming. If it gives law enforcement one more reason to pull someone over I'm all for it. But I don't think they do this much.
Modern fog lights have lost all purpose and reason. I used to drive old 50s and 60s trucks and fog lights worked pretty well. They are supposed to be amber and aimed low. They are for driving in fog and snowfall, where normal lights either don't help you on low beam or blind you by reflecting back at you on high beam. When working right, they shine through the fog/snow, reflect less than white light, and shine low on the road so you can find your way, albiet at lower speeds, which is fine if it's foggy or snowing. Modern fog lights are just what you said, cool driving lights that manufacturers throw in to make money or stupid add-ons that some gumfer thinks makes him cool. No aiming, no amber lens. I hate to sound like old grumpy guy but it's just too bad these helpful lights lost their way.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #38
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I just noticed that the OP is driving a 2011 F350; that's 10 years old! Depending on where you live, and if your truck is parked outside all the time, your lenses are probably showing the effects of UV exposure resulting in "hazing" of the clear plastic. Have you tried one of the headlight restoring products? It makes a LOT of difference.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #39
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I just noticed that the OP is driving a 2011 F350; that's 10 years old! Depending on where you live, and if your truck is parked outside all the time, your lenses are probably showing the effects of UV exposure resulting in "hazing" of the clear plastic. Have you tried one of the headlight restoring products? It makes a LOT of difference.

He's in Iowa.

With that said, mine too is an '11, built in May '10 and there is zero sign of clouding and it has spent many months parked in the sun over the 132,000 miles. I don't see that vintage Ford with cloudy lenses - they just have crappy headlights as do most pixck ups of that vintage, regardless of manufacturer
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #40
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nard Dog View Post
...the headlights! For a $55K piece of equipment, it amazes me how poorly it lights things. My son's 15 year old, $2000 Honda accord has to be twice as bright. To say nothing about all the newer Chevy's I own. I went to an auto parts store a few years ago and said 'give me the brightest headlights they make, money is no object'! When I pulled out my stock bulbs can you believe how frustrated I was that the new ones had exactly the same part numbers stamped in exactly the same way?
Nard Dog, you might want to check out this company (DieselLeds). They might have an upgrade for your lighting woes.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote