Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Montana Totaled in Secure Storage Facility

Trailer declared a total loss while in "secure" storage facility. My Montana was broken into about October 15th. The thieves essentially removed the hydraulic level up system including the 12v motor and hyd pump reservoir and all fuses and circuit breakers. Stole the hardwired surge guard EMS, took the battery disconnect out. removed the 50amp outlet at the back of the trailer. broke the back window. took the spare tire. took the Morryde steps. took the Sony TV. cut the entire progressive dynamics distribution center and converter out of the bathroom, cut out the main convenience panel in the hall way where you turn on lights, hot water and open & close the slides. stole 50amp power cord and everything in the basement. stole the vision works side and backup cameras. stole the TST tire monitoring from the tires. cut several openings under the trailer to remove??. stole every light fixture inside the trailer and every LED light bulb. Not able to open the slides to see what else as taken. Facility security camera was only 15 feet away. Storage facility says nothing was shown on the camera. Police dusted for prints and said they used gloves. they must have been at the trailer for more than an hour to remove that much stuff. Insurance company estimated 23K for repairs and simply totaled the trailer. Insurance company paid off on agreed value, which in today's market is well below replacement value. It was towed off today......so sad!!! BTW, there were at least 5 other thefts reported to police in October from this facility and they never bothered to notify any tenants of the thefts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211103_135516.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	10493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211103_134742.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	10494  

2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Must have been professionals. Knew exactly what of value to take. Sorry for the loss. Bet the new one doesn't go to that storage lot.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Thank you. Seems like the only thing harder than finding a good deal on a RV right now is finding a safe place with covered storage to keep it. Waiting lists are very long at all the other facilities I've looked at. Not sure what we are going to do now.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
In Kansas City Missouri we fight the same dilemma on covered storage. Luckily we have it but the price edges up every year. Climate controlled storage, if available, is priced out of sight.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Sounds like an inside job!
Old 11-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
So sorry to hear about your loss. We had a spare tire stollen once from under our trailer once, but didn't even come close to the loss you suffered. It does sound like an "inside job."

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Secure??? What part of secure don’t they understand?
Most people today can’t afford a camper. After they buy one pay for storage, taxes, insurance, upkeep and everything else that goes along with owning one a camper is out of range for most families. We are the lucky ones.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
cOol it

a real nightmare. The storage has to be culpable in some way. Doesn't sound like a a lot of damage mainly parts stolen so buy it from the insurance company and replace the parts yourself might be farther ahead than buying a new one with the difference in cash. Your parts will likely be on Ebay. Maybe some way to connect the people that work there to them but I`m sure the police aren't worried about property crimes anymore.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #9
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Lynwood, I hear ya!, they even took the BAL accuslide cable ends that you were kind enough to make and send me this spring. I did find a pair of pliers with rubber grips that they left in the trailer which a gave to the police. I haven't heard from the Police if they were able to get finger prints for those pliers. all they'll say is that it is being processed... Joe.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Bshgto, Unfortunately, all or most storage facilities require you to sign a contract where they are essentially not responsible for anything. I'm holding out to see if there are finger prints that are on the pliers they left behind. not holding my breath though.

EDIT: I simply do not have the place or expertise to fix all the hydraulic or electrical issues that would be required. I'm sure the trailer will be fixed, Just not be me. Joe
Old 11-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUSNRET View Post
Lynwood, I hear ya!, they even took the BAL accuslide cable ends that you were kind enough to make and send me this spring. I did find a pair of pliers with rubber grips that they left in the trailer which a gave to the police. I haven't heard from the Police if they were able to get finger prints for those pliers. all they'll say is that it is being processed... Joe.

That is kinda funny. I’ll bet they won’t find any use or buyers for those cable ends.
This reminds me. Several years ago someone stole a power measure I made and left one made by the competition. I took the guy a new measure to give him and he said I should be proud they stole mine when the other measure that cost more. If you are wondering, no he wouldn’t take the measure. He had the measures set up for display and I sold the company many more measures after that.
I think you are talking the right approach to this. You could cuss, kick and roll around on the ground but it wouldn’t restore your camper. I wouldn’t make any difference.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It would be helpful to others to post the name of that facility.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
UPDATE: Trailer is gone however, the Police made an arrest at the storage facility, "Store-It" Meridian Idaho, last night with some of my personal property in his car. Appears he also had items that have been reported from several other thefts from the same facility. Hoping he goes away for a long time. Police said he was well known to them and has a history of thefts from storage facilities. Joe
Old 11-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #14
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
It sounds like the thieves might be associated with the storage facility in some way, they have access, current or former employees, it is just too clean and suspicious. Also I would watch online to see if any used parts appear for sale and let the detectives know.
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #15
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I would talk with an attorney about going after the storage facility the remainder of your loss ++.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We made the decision when zoning said we could not park our camper at the house (after living there over 15 years. Found out snooty neighbors were planning on selling their houses and was afraid having an RV parked in the neighborhood would devalue their house. So they researched and found the zoning ordinance and called zoning and, pretty much, the few of us that had RV's had to move them off the property.

We looked for a storage facility and, even though this was a prestigious city, there was something about every place we looked into that made us suspect.

Long story short.... we purchased a new house in the next county over, in the country, were there were no zoning restrictions on RV's. It was a traumatic experience going through all of that. The unknows were scary, but there was no way on earth I was storing my camper in a storage facility.

We sold out, got the H*** out of that stuck-up bunch of goons community, and truly have lived happily ever after!

Sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do!

JoeUSNRET, enjoy the ride now searching for that new camper. Exciting times still are in your future.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #17
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
We also had a break-in at the storage facility in our cabin cruiser boat. Same thing, stripped parts, TV, etc. Storage place said they had nothing on their cameras. Found out other boats and Rvs were broke into same week. Our friends had their 5th wheel burn down at another storage place along with 4 others. The camper next to them was returned after a weekend and something went wrong and was the cause of all the units burning to the ground...total losses. Most of the owners lost thousands because of replacement value not covering new purchases or loans left on the units. Unfortunately you just can't trust other places to store your stuff. We built a new house and added a 35' x 60' garage to the lot. Best thing we ever did. Realizing some people don't have those options it is challenging facing the storage issues.
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Trout30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #18
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
I would sure like to be able to store an RV at home. Unfortunately, that is not in the cards for us. we're considering our options now. Give up RV'ing or put a new trailer back in a storage unit...not sure which way we will go right now. I will say Progressive Insurance handled the claim within 5 working days for the loss of the trailer and USAA handled the personal property claim within 8 hours. So we had great service from both!!!! Joe.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Joe, sorry it turned out this way. My guess is there are going to be a lot of lightly used RV’s for sale shortly. Dealers are seeing a return of seasoned campers as their main customers again.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #20
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Was that at the Stor it self storage on 12th st in Nampa? Used to be called Lake Shore Storage? The reason I’m asking is I see the towing company is Country Repair & Towing on 12th St.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote