Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Security Alarm / System during Storage?

As you may know, my Montana was declared a total loss due to theft while in a "secure" storage facility last month. We currently have a covered storage location with easy access to back in a 40' 5th wheel which is extremely hard to find in this area. However, there is no AC power available to power the trailer while in storage and I normally take the batteries out while stored.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to setup a security alarm or security system while a trailer is stored with no AC power available? any ideas would be appreciated and this may be helpful to others.

thanks for your assistance.

2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Joe, almost any security system will require internet to be effective. We leave a T-Mobile hotspot (100 gb/$50/mo) in our camper, even at home. We use the Blink system. First, the batteries last two years. Second, with infrared and motion sensing, you can have multiple systems on the same account. They back up to a local memory card and the cloud. There are some more options for do it yourself like Simplisafe and Ring. Part of your process will be if you have electric available. You can always run off a small inverter as these don’t draw much power. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:15 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Maybe a hidden trail camera nearby, covering your rig. It won't tell you anything until after the fact though.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I installed an alarm on my last trailer. It had its own battery and was connected to a small solar panel on the roof. It was screaming loud inside and outside.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a Tracki. It won't tell you if it has been broken into. But it will tell you if it's moving.
https://tracki.com/
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Montana Man, looks like a stand alone battery powered motion detector with alarm and lights may be the best solution when AC/DC power and WIFI is not available. having one motion detector inside the trailer and one inside the basement storage area would probably scare of most of the thief's. I wouldn't mind checking on the batteries every week or so. We have a covered storage site so solar would not be much help for us. Joe.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just posted this over on your other thread
You can get a trail camera that will take pictures of any thing that gets inside your camper and then send them directly to your phone. The camera is I think a little over a hundred dollars and the internet hook up is fifteen busks or so a month. They run off of batteries that last for months. This is a cheap way to keep a check on your camper or anything else. A lot of hunters use them to know what is visiting their favorite hunting spots.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Lynwood, thanks for the info. I just looked at trail camera's on the Cabela's website. I was not aware they had cellular capability. Looks like a Verizon data plan could be as low as 3 dollars per month for a trail camera. This is something I will look into if/when we find a new RV. Thanks again for your input. learn something new everyday. joe
Old 11-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They can be a great asset or badly abused. Yours would be an asset. My nephew and his son use it ethically to see what game is in the area. That is fun. Some so called hunters have lots of them set up. When a picture of a big buck or whatever they are hunting comes in they rush to where it is. They can tell what direction the animal is headed. I believe in fair chaise and I don’t think this is.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
Sharko
Established Member

M.O.C. #26528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUSNRET View Post
As you may know, my Montana was declared a total loss due to theft while in a "secure" storage facility last month. We currently have a covered storage location with easy access to back in a 40' 5th wheel which is extremely hard to find in this area. However, there is no AC power available to power the trailer while in storage and I normally take the batteries out while stored.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to setup a security alarm or security system while a trailer is stored with no AC power available? any ideas would be appreciated and this may be helpful to others.

thanks for your assistance.
I have solar. If inside of course not an option. I have a GPS setup to ping on movement. Works great and keeps my batteries topped off during storage
Sharko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
Clark 2012 346LBQ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25245
We use a dog tracking system so if the rig moves it alerts us
Clark 2012 346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote