Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
first trip in our 3121ck

well seem the DW and i are on our way on thrusday morning for lake ouachita state park.. and returning on the 2nd. when i got the monty over a month ago, the techs went over everything.. but that was a month ago.. sheesh! so now... first camping trip with no internet and i'm hoping i'll be able to find the information i'll need to print out.

um if someone could point me to the files section that would be great.. for cryin' out lout i'm basically starting from scratch (and worried about being able to set this puppy up for the first time). my good friend said i can bring the rig to his house this week and we can play setup and tear down a couple of times.

OK.. so a huge help finding a a list or two describing setup and tear-down for the montys would be great. i have found a couple of lists.. but not monty specific.

the park i'm going to has full hook-ups and 50a service with sewer. so i'm good to go on that point.

thanks in advance.

r-

Ron & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
At top of screen on the left side there is a files button. Open it and look thru it. I don't think there is a file on just setting up and I don't have the auto level jacks so can't help there. There is one manual on hydraulic jacks or something like that - maybe it has help.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Relax. You are going to be fine. We were all there once. You have a real bonus in your friends offer. If it is worrying you that much take them up on it. Another bonus is most RV'ers staying near you will have a ton of experience. If you need some help don't hesitate to ask. Been a few years since we stayed at that park but if I remember correctly there was cell service in the area although no park provided wifi. If you have a smart phone you can still get to the internet. Go enjoy.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ron, as Jim said, we were all there once. First, it would help if we knew specifics about your system (HighCountry, Montana and Legacy all have little differences), hitch, truck. Over the years, we have gotten away from a checklist, but I had a laminated one with steps in order for setup and tear down. We followed it religiously, including a pull test. Relax and enjoy.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Hey Ron,

As others have said, RELAX! Enjoy!

The 3231CK is a great model. DW & I love ours.

You will be in my neck of the woods. We're in Mena, AR. (when were home, anyway) about an hour and a half west of Hot Springs.

If I remember, the "phone booth" there at the state park is up by the swimming area on the north side near 3 sisters springs.

If you would like my PH#, send me a PM.
I be glad to help with any questions you may have.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkware View Post
Hey Ron,

As others have said, RELAX! Enjoy!

The 3231CK is a great model. DW & I love ours.

You will be in my neck of the woods. We're in Mena, AR. (when were home, anyway) about an hour and a half west of Hot Springs.

If I remember, the "phone booth" there at the state park is up by the swimming area on the north side near 3 sisters springs.

If you would like my PH#, send me a PM.
I be glad to help with any questions you may have.
how cool... i would send you a pm.. but i dont know how..
Old 12-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Ron, as Jim said, we were all there once. First, it would help if we knew specifics about your system (HighCountry, Montana and Legacy all have little differences), hitch, truck. Over the years, we have gotten away from a checklist, but I had a laminated one with steps in order for setup and tear down. We followed it religiously, including a pull test. Relax and enjoy.
'21 montana 3121ck
bw patriot hitch
f250 w/6.7 ltr

sorry about that...

r-
Old 12-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Well, we have a lot of Ron’s on this post. To send a PM, click on the username of the person you want to send to. You will see the option to send a private message. One of the safety precautions your dealer may not have covered is a pull test. If you ever see someone with dents in the top of their bed rails, you’ll know they did not do a pull test. To do a pull test, hitch your truck to the camper. Raise your front jacks about 3-4” off of the ground. Manually activate your trailer brakes in the truck, put into gear and make sure your trailer brakes stop the truck. By doing this, you will know your hitch is properly connected, you will know you didn’t forget to connect your 7 pin connector and you will know your trailer brakes are working. Don’t forget to then put your jacks up the rest of the way and then turnoff and lock your Level Up. Enjoy your travels.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Ok. The phone may not work at this campground.
So, text if I don't answer.

479-437-3047
Ron Marlin
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Download the Lippert NOW app from Google play store. Lots of good info, manuals, TSB, troubleshooting etc.
Lippert also has excellent help desk support.
Phone: 574-537-8900
Email: customerservice@Lci1.com
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #11
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
i want to thank each and everyone of you for you help. so.. Thank you for your support.. !

i practiced backing, and pulling in and out of our storage area with a good friend. that way on thrursday when i'm with my dw i'll have it down. As for going to his house.., we had to ditch that idea as the trees over hang low on the street. oh well

again.. thanks for your support.

r-
Old 12-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #12
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
"To send a PM, click on the username of the person you want to send to"

thank you.. it was interesting.. at first i couldnt see the link to pm. i had to hover to see it.

r-
Old 12-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #13
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Buy a pair of walkie-talkies.
Perfect for communication with DW when backing in.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #14
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
I've never seen a file that has to do with setting up and tearing down my 3120. I think that's as personal as the rigs we've chosen. Each of us has to develop our own routine and it's a learning experience in doing so.

One thing I will say, NEVER be in a hurry. That's when things get damaged and damage is always expensive. Take your time before you close any slide make sure you always double and triple check that nothing will be in it's way, inside or out.

Once everything is closed, don't drive off until you've walked around a time or two.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #15
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
Update

well... we used all the systems on the monty on our first trip.!

observations:

1. i'm horrible at backing..!

2. it was 22 degrees so we ended up using the tank heaters for 2 days.

3. both TST507 & observation cam failed. TST needed the repeter, and the cam.. i'll be checking it out.

4. Main Heater: if set on 'elec' and current temp is 'x', setting thermostat 4 degrees above(x) will use gas.. UNTIL desired temp set at console has been reached. At this point, the system will use 'elec', unless the system cannot keep up. I found that at 22, the main heater WILL NOT keep up using 'elec'. The DW and i used both the fireplace and elec heating during the day.. but at night when i'm not watching the fireplace heater, i switched to gas only.

5. bought walkie talkies for the backing... very easy when no cell service.

6. being by hot springs made things easy.. we found that we needed several items. (saying that.. we bought a mr. coffee pot about a month ago.. well i never plugged the damn thing in.. and of course.. DOA. Cowboy coffee was ok.. and we got another coffee maker.. sheesh!

7. generally speaking... the unit performed well and we really didn't find anything (other than minor) wrong.
a. strap to propane on drivers side is not performing as it should
b. crown molding on driverside slideout .. poped.. so needs to be reset fastened in (something i can do i think)
c. missing washers from convenience center. (home depot i think)

8. we need a heated water hose if winter camping. ... althought it would not have mattered if we had it. the temperture was so low that the water froze at the spigot. by the morning.. you couldn't even turn the spigot handle.

9. we got about 9.7 miles to the gallon from our f250 w/ 6.7 ltr engine.

10. AND MOST Important.. We had fun.. !

r-
Old 01-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #16
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Glad you had a great time. At 22 degrees, I would use gas for heat. That way it blows hot air in the storage areas to help protect from water lines freezing. A heated fresh water hose might be needed, but in colder temps you can fill the fresh water tank and use from their. These are a couple things I do in colder weather. But most importantly, you had fun.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Your number 10 is most important. I'd call it a success.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad you had fun, Ron. Just a coffee pot observation, if you do much dry camping, get the thermal carafe models. They keep the coffee hot and it stops using electricity after it’s brewed. As for the molding, I noticed that they set their nailers too deep on thin strips and maybe not deep enough on the crown molding. Your electric heat pump is only designed to work down to 35 or 40 degrees. So, that explains the heat not keeping up at 22. Looks like a successful first trip.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #19
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
its freezing here in dallas.. i re-winterized the monty (1st time) this afternoon. later on this week when it warms up, i'll take a close look at the crown molding and see what's up... as i'll bring my compressor and nailer.

as for the propane straps.. i'm thinking warranty issue.. oh and the bathroom door doesnt close/lock. i looked at that.. and found that the installers missed the mark completely when drilling out the spot for the locking mechanism.. so the recessed part is not where it should be.

r-
Old 01-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #20
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
The propane straps are usually held on by only 1 or 2 self-tapping screws behind the propane tank. these screws frequently backout when traveling and simply need to be tighten up again. just pull the tank out and take a look. may be an easy fix. hope this helps.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote