Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #41
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
I read all the responses to this thread and learned a lot, and will be applying some of it to my aux fuel tank situation. I had a friend who is a master aluminum fabricator build me a 90 gallon fuel tank and he welded my aluminum across the bed tool box to the top of the fuel tank to house the fuel pump and the electronics for pumping the fuel into the tank fill hose. I use an electrical motorized ball valve with limit switch feedback for open and closed positions which are indicated with small LED green and red lights on my dash. I have two switches in the cab, one for the operation of the valve and the second for pump operation. I also have a fuel gauge to show aux tank levels. The gauge was housed in a 3 gauge Autometer mount that is on my dash top but now resides where the space is for the controls of the transfer case would be and was a blank space since I have a manual transfer case. I have engine oil temp and transmission oil temp for the ZF6 manual trans and differential oil temp for the Dana 80 rear axle. My fuel tank was built about 10 years ago and is fab'd from 1/4" aluminum and is welded inside and outside everywhere except the top cover. I had a 8" inspection cover installed so I could inspect it periodically. I use a 12v marine fuel pump and fuel gauge sending unit. The tank has a "roll over" valve and vent as well. I will be installing the 12V timer discussed earlier as soon as Amazon delivers it. Having had this truck much longer then I ever thought I would I have continually added mods that continues to improve it. Finally crossed the 100k miles last month and its still pulling my FW and boat very well.

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #42
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
I have been using a gravity feed tank in my last 3 trucks it works great.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #43
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Arkware +1; I went with RDS transfer tank/toolbox. Got the model that is same height as bed rail so no issues with turning 5er. Everything is hidden and locked including fuel nozzle. I have an 8' bed Silverado so adding tank/toolbox was easy. I need to stop to stretch so filling truck on offramp is not a big deal.
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #44
DarranR
Established Member

M.O.C. #30267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
Arkware +1; I went with RDS transfer tank/toolbox. Got the model that is same height as bed rail so no issues with turning 5er. Everything is hidden and locked including fuel nozzle. I have an 8' bed Silverado so adding tank/toolbox was easy. I need to stop to stretch so filling truck on offramp is not a big deal.
I'm going combo and manual feed too. Which RDS model did you get and from where - on-line? Looks like "bloody supply chain" is an issue AGAIN...
Old 04-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #45
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
DarranR; sorry I'm not around truck; but, google RDS toolbox/tank combo and then compare overall height to your truck bed rail. Our tank combo is 1/4" or so shorter than bed rail and that was more important to me than extra 10 or 20 gallons. Power cord attached inside truck main frame and just alligator clipped to battery. Thought I didn't want permanent battery attachment for security reasons; but, for two years I've never bothered to disconnect since tool box is always locked anyway.
Jack
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #46
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Darranr ... just for a look and see, try (RDS-72774). It has a full depth toolbox and 48 gallon tank. The shallow toolboxes of other brands or models just seem aggravating to me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #47
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
12 Volt Timer Relay, DROK 0.1s to 999min 50mA 4-Mode On-Off Automotive Digital Delay Relay, Electric Delay Timer Switch, Cycle Time Delay Module with LED Display
Do you have a part #, having trouble locating the model you show in the pic?

On edit: Never mind, found it on Amazon but it's "Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #48
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I added a Built Better Transfer fuel tank with a combo tool box, I have 75 gals of fuel with the OEM tank I have a total of 111 gals of fuel. I prefer the transfer tank, simply because I never like to cut into a fuel system on a diesel truck. Actually, it was the best price for the product. Good Luck with your choice.

Happy trails
Actually you don`t cut into the fuel system which is completely unnecessary and will void the warranty if you do. You cut the filler neck and add the adapter for the transfer tank. this doesn't void your warranty for modifying your fuel system. I suppose this is why they call them transfer tanks.
The only problem with haveing the transfer tank and a main tank to fill (I have a total of 100 gals) Is THE RIDULOUS PRICE OF DIESEL. So the last time filled was $509.85 cents. Just a little unnerving. I would call out the perpetrators on this but they will remove the post.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #49
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Titan in bed 50 gal transfer tank. sits under bed rails and under folding Bakflip cover. Out of sight out of mind.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #50
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
We upgraded and changed out the existing 28gal tank that came stock in the 3500HD diesel to a Titan 65gal replacement. Extremely glad we did, we never worry about needing to stop while traveling with the RV, and since we usually only go 3 to 5 hours max a day. When not towing I go weeks between filling ups.

The only negative is that GM doesn't allow for the software to be changed so you can see total available miles on the tank. You still see the regular fuel gauge amount so it's not that big a deal.
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #51
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
My TV allowed changing the tank size in 5 gallon increments. I have a 57 gallon tank so the DTE calculation setting is 55 gallons. Even though the DTE calculation is a little off, the fuel gauge is accurate. Happiness is having a fuel tank large enough to support 400 miles of towing without a fuel stop.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:32 PM   #52
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Although this is an older thread, I would caution anyone considering adding an auxiliary or transfer tank on a truck still under warranty, if you tap into your fuel system ANYWHERE, including the filler hose, you run the risk of voiding your warranty. Do not take anyone’s word on this, do your own research. I disconnected mine before I had some warranty work done, and I am glad I did. Dealer tech said do not touch any part of the fuel system or you WILL void the warranty. All of the dealers are getting really strict on the warranty issues.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:16 AM   #53
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I purchased a auxillary tank from Tractor supply and a kit to connect to filler pipe. It somehow senses when main tank is full as it never overflows. I did install a valve to shut off the auxillary tank but have not used it in over 5 years. I fill them both and fuel gauge stays on full for 350 miles or so and then it has drained the auxillary and starts using fuel from factory tank. I just love it.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote