Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Slide cable fraying

I’m In Montana and noticed one of my slide out cable is fraying. A strand or two are broken. Do you think it will snap? Soon? Anything I can do to help it beside replacing it, which I don’t relish trying while on the road. Put some gorilla tape around it? Thanks for the help!

Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Those pulleys the cable runs through have pretty small passages. I would be afraid the tape will be stripped off and entangle with the pulley to make for a tougher repair job.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Once the cable is frayed, you are on borrowed time. If a bedroom slide, I would leave the slide closed until I could repair. If not, try to find out is out of line causing the stress on the cable, and if you can adjust, maybe that will buy you time. Agree that tape may make things worse.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Plan on getting it replaced as soon as possible, if not sooner. I've have 2 broken slide cables on the same slide now since I've owned our current Montana. The last one snapped about 7 weeks ago and it was so tangled and frayed, it took me a couple hours untangling the mess so the slides would retract when we got ready to leave. (we were at a campground and just arrived).

I called my local dealership repair shop at home and they assured me the slide would world just fine with one broken cable, but giving it assistance pushing it back in would not hurt anything.

The cable was a frayed mess. It was horrible untangling and it was like untangling steel spaghetti that exploded in bicycle spokes. But I finally did, after poking my fingers several times and bleeding all over everything. My DNA is forever a permanent stain in that camper!

FYI, I made the appointment to bring the camper in, 3 weeks out. I took the camper in and then they said it would "could" be up to 3 weeks before it actually get's fixed. They've had the camper for 2 weeks now. I guess I'm not very high on the priority list.

So yes, do whatever you have to do to get that cable replace. Even one broken strand compromises the strength, and the LAST thing you want is for the rest of them to go "boing!"
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
here is a video showing bal-accuslide cable replacement. at about 10:18 minute into the video is an explanation of the most common reason for the cable fraying. Looks like it would be a fairly easy adjustment if it may be causing your issue. good luck.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
I’m In Montana and noticed one of my slide out cable is fraying. A strand or two are broken. Do you think it will snap? Soon? Anything I can do to help it beside replacing it, which I don’t relish trying while on the road. Put some gorilla tape around it? Thanks for the help!
Maybe it will snap, and maybe not. One of mine's been frayed for two years yet still holding on. I have the repair kit in a drawer on standby.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
it takes about an hour at most to replace the cable when its accessible and a very easy fix. once it breaks and pulls through the pulleys its a mess. I would get the replacement kit and a spare from whom ever, amazon has them. make the fix and move on. then at the Montana rally sign up for one of the tech to align your system to help eliminate what caused the frying. I'm in total agreement with NOT using any tape
Old 06-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
Make sure you have the proper tools

It is fairly easy to change out a frayed, or broken cable. YES, watch the BAL video...it is a very good tool. But speaking of tools, also make sure you have a good wire rope cutter, AND the right size crimper for the ferrel. Home Depot (on-line ONLY) has one of the best prices on the BAL Cable replacement kit: $27.64

William and Susan - Abingdon, IL
2019 Montana High Country 331RL / Sailun ST235/80s
B&W Patriot 18k Slider / 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SW
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #9
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
I forgot about the tools, I'm sort of a tool junkie and just have this stuff.
you will need a crimping tool for the ferrel. if you don't have a HD wire cutter I used dremel tool just wrapped the cut area with tape so the wires wont fray when cutting. get a can of spray adhesive also.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
mine broke on the wardrobe (very small slide) it worked with one cable for a long time, finally changed it out when the weather cooled off some, easy job, maybe 2 beers time

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
IMO you're on borrowed time with a frayed cable and just "waiting" for it to happen. I agree with not using tape and would replace it at the earliest time possible. Like most things, it's easier to replace/repair before it breaks than try to put the pieces back together after it does. I carry 2 of the cable repair kits in my "spare" box because that's one of the things you (I) don't want to happen in the middle of nowhere. Good luck on getting it taken care of.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #12
Jerry Key

M.O.C. #29033
We’ve just discovered a broken slide cable on the large door side slide on our new 2021 High Country. Called our Dealer and they gave us a late September date to bring it in. We’ve had this RV only 3 months. Reading this forum this issue seems to happen often. We’ve had many other RV’s and never had a broken slide cable.Our trips now are all in hold and the RV is parked under the cover here at home. What a disappointment, but still those payments have to be paid while it sits. Sorry to rant, but seeing that others are having the same issue makes me have second thoughts on the Montana purchase
Jerry Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You don't say what model you have but generally the cable is relatively easy to change. For around $100 or so for the cable and tools to repair, why forgo that trip(s) you have planned?

Additionally, the three remaining cables can move the slide and if you have someone pushing on it at the same time, it goes a lot easier.

Don't stop your life because a dealer won't do a timely repair. Even if you have a mobile guy fix it, you are better off.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #14
Jerry Key

M.O.C. #29033
Broken slide cable

Thanks Carl and Susan for your input.
We are still learning to navigate this page.
Jerry Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #15
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
if the cable is still there (not pulled through) this is a real easy fix. you tube it.
get a cable kit, crimping tool, I used Dremel to cut the cable. some spray adhesive.
takes about 20 minutes to do.

EVERY make will have issues, read any other forum and people will complain about there unit. no one comes to these forums to say I LOVE my unit. its just the nature of the beast.
we have 32,000 mile on ours and yes it has had some issues, but have yet to take it to a dealer.

good luck
Old 07-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #16
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
addition,
if you fix it, go and have fun. Make an appointment under warranty to find out why it broke. sounds like a miss alignment for the cable to brake. they can re-align under warranty so this doesn't happen again.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #17
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Key View Post
We’ve just discovered a broken slide cable on the large door side slide on our new 2021 High Country. Called our Dealer and they gave us a late September date to bring it in. We’ve had this RV only 3 months. Reading this forum this issue seems to happen often. We’ve had many other RV’s and never had a broken slide cable.Our trips now are all in hold and the RV is parked under the cover here at home. What a disappointment, but still those payments have to be paid while it sits. Sorry to rant, but seeing that others are having the same issue makes me have second thoughts on the Montana purchase
Agreed! We’re thinking of trading in and cable slides are a main reason. DW won’t even close them any more, makes me do it, as she’s too afraid one will break while doing it. It looks like at least one is misaligned, the holder on slide seems lower than the pulley and as it closes you can see the cable bend as it gets close.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #18
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Broke a cable on our huge bedroom slide. Cables on order, but one one seemed to have any stock...so guess a month to get a cable if we are lucky. Good news is we are sitting in one spot in maine till mid september. I guess 10 years of operation is pretty good reliability. And if i was unlucky, i would still have to work instead of being retired. On a side note, eating lobster in maine isn't so cheap anymore. $30 plus dollar lobster rolls is not for everyone.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #19
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Broke a cable on our huge bedroom slide. Cables on order, but one one seemed to have any stock...so guess a month to get a cable if we are lucky. Good news is we are sitting in one spot in maine till mid september. I guess 10 years of operation is pretty good reliability. And if i was unlucky, i would still have to work instead of being retired. On a side note, eating lobster in maine isn't so cheap anymore. $30 plus dollar lobster rolls is not for everyone.
Did you try Amazon and Walmart?
Old 07-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
Agreed! We’re thinking of trading in and cable slides are a main reason. DW won’t even close them any more, makes me do it, as she’s too afraid one will break while doing it. It looks like at least one is misaligned, the holder on slide seems lower than the pulley and as it closes you can see the cable bend as it gets close.

I did a search to see which gave more trouble, cable slides or others. What I found was they all give trouble just different types or trouble. If you have a hydraulic pump or cylinder or a gear strip you aren’t going to fix it in an hour for a hundred dollars.
As for which gives the most trouble it was hard to qualify. There are a lot more units with hydraulic slides but a lot of those have a cable slide. Both systems give trouble. If the cables are properly installed they shouldn’t give any trouble. If you have cables breaking something isn’t right. Have them checked out and in the mean time take the above advice fix it, get a friend if necessary to help and enjoy the summer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote