Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2024, 09:17 PM   #1
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
Electrical Issues

Hello,

This morning we woke up to the trailer flooded from our toilet. The tubing for the toilets water supply had busted open and leaked water everywhere. I have spent all day draining water from everywhere in the trailer. As a result of this, the GFCI in the kitchen is Tripped and I can't fix it. The GFCI next to the bathroom sink was tripped, however I was able to fix it. I'm wanting to know, where I should look at that maybe holding water (possibly under the floor?), causing the GFCI to Trip. The inside of the trailer is completely dry now and I can't figure out what is causing it to trip. I followed the GFCI's power lines to run under the island in the kitchen, but can't see beyond that.

I will add, at the end of the day after drying everything, the GFCI in the kitchen would take about 5 seconds before tripping again, but I am noticing that the ceiling lights aren't turning on. I am wondering if there's a 3rd GFC that may be tripped? I can't find one, but don't know where else to look.

Only the microwave, vanity lights in bathroom, outlets in the bedroom, and outlets near the entertainment system have power. Nothing else has power (including ALL ceiling lights). Am I missing something? I have replaced all fuses in the unit and checked the circuit breaker for anything popped.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2007 Keystone Montana 3600RE

ajonesieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:53 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You mention both AC and DC power issues (lights are DC), I would start at the distribution panel. Mine is low enough that it would get quite wet in a flood as you describe.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:52 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Take down your basement walls and look for "Romex non metallic cable splice" connectors (or any other connector) possibly laying in a puddle of water or wet.
You may have to drop the coroplast and check underneath too. It's probably a good idea to do this anyway to dry it out down there.
First Alert makes a water alarm. We have them in the house and in the rig. We had a pipe break in the house one time. $70,000 damages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Bad RV tyco connector .jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	16508  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:17 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Someone should assemble a collection of all those pictures people have posted of those burned cable splices and forward them to the appropriate person(s) at Keystone. Those things should be banned from use in RVs, if not from everywhere else.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:06 AM   #5
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
First, sorry to hear about the leak.
As Robert mentioned, lights are not associated with the ac receptacles. Go with his and Daryles suggestions for starters.
GFCI receptacles are historically poor quality and often will not reset after tripping several times. It sounds like you have a weak or damaged GFCI receptacle. I would replace it (they are relatively inexpensive) and retest.
I'm curious if you have brass or plastic fittings in the water distribution system. Your rig is the age when brass fittings from China were found to be defective.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:38 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
They have you on the right track. You should consider a dehumidifier as well. It will expedite removing moisture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dehumidifier.png
Views:	11
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	16509  
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2024, 09:29 AM   #7
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Take down your basement walls and look for "Romex non metallic cable splice" connectors (or any other connector) possibly laying in a puddle of water or wet.
You may have to drop the coroplast and check underneath too. It's probably a good idea to do this anyway to dry it out down there.
First Alert makes a water alarm. We have them in the house and in the rig. We had a pipe break in the house one time. $70,000 damages.
Hello, I have attached 2 photos, 1 from underneath the Fridge (which had the same cable you showed) and the other from the basement where the converter is. *Both of these areas were bone dry* I did remove 1 panel near the low point drain, which had a considerable amount of water trapped on top of the belly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	16511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	16512  
Old 02-21-2024, 09:30 AM   #8
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
They have you on the right track. You should consider a dehumidifier as well. It will expedite removing moisture.
Thank you, that's a good idea!
Old 02-21-2024, 09:37 AM   #9
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
You mention both AC and DC power issues (lights are DC), I would start at the distribution panel. Mine is low enough that it would get quite wet in a flood as you describe.
Hello, thank you for your reply. Where would the distribution panel be located? I'm guessing near the breaker box panel?
Old 02-21-2024, 10:20 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The distribution panel is the circuit breaker and fuse panel where power is “distributed” to all the various circuits.

First I would use a voltmeter to verify you have 120 vac on the load side of all the circuit breakers and 12 vdc on the load side of all the fuses. A red light will indicate a blown fuse. A breaker handle moved just slightly off the ON position indicates a tripped breaker.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:33 AM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The outlets in the basement and on the exterior wall are controlled by the GFCI most likely the bedroom one.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:38 AM   #12
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I can't give advice on how to fix anything, but I'll suggest two more areas which which you could check for water: First, there's probably a GFCI outlet on the outside of your rig. My 2002 has one right by the door, protected by a flip-up plastic cover. Second, people sometimes have GFCI outlet trouble because water has collected in a junction box outside, under a slide.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:14 PM   #13
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
Okay update - The GFCI in the kitchen I was able to reset this afternoon. However I am still having issues with DC power to work. The only breaker that is tripped is the water heater. I have looked outside for another GFCI but cannot find one. I will look under all of the slides as I didn’t before.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:01 PM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Do you have any 12vdc at your fuse panel?
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 PM   #15
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Do you have any 12vdc at your fuse panel?
This is what my panel looks like currently
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	16514  
Old 02-22-2024, 03:39 AM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesieee View Post
Okay update - The GFCI in the kitchen I was able to reset this afternoon. However I am still having issues with DC power to work. The only breaker that is tripped is the water heater. I have looked outside for another GFCI but cannot find one. I will look under all of the slides as I didn’t before.
There will not be a GFCI or a breaker for the DC power side of things, that's only on the AC side. DC uses fuses. Also, don't just go by the light in the fuse panel to determine if a fuse is blown. It will only light up when the fuse is blown AND there is a draw on the circuit, i.e. the lights are turned on at the switch. The red indicator light works by bypassing a blown fuse, so no draw, no light.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:41 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesieee View Post
This is what my panel looks like currently
What I meant was, have you checked with a voltmeter to verify you have 12 vdc at your fuse panel?
Old 02-23-2024, 03:25 AM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The upper part of your panel in the picture is DC power and has fuses for each circuit. The lower portion is AC power and has breakers like what you would have in a S&B home.
What I think Bill is saying is have you verified you actually have 12vdc power on the DC side of the distribution panel? If not, you could have a converter problem and/or battery problem.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:59 PM   #19
ajonesieee

M.O.C. #33994
I have found that the converter is bad. I have one being shipped tomorrow so hopefully that fixes the issues!
Old 02-25-2024, 07:57 PM   #20
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Glad you found the problem!
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical