Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I know this sounds nasty but, one good way to make sure your getting the job done is to have a clear section of pipe on the end of your black tank hose so you can see what the fluids look like that are dumping. They sell those at RV stores.
I have used a 6" clear extension on the sewer outlet for years and really don't see any thing near nasty about it. The water flows thru so fast it really only looks like varying colors of brown water that gets lighter each time I run the flush. After 2-3 flushes it begins to look clear enough that there is very little of the "nasty" stuff left in it.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #22
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Over ten years of full timing and it's Scotts RV tissue for us. When you find something that works for you, in that area, you don't mess with it.
^^^^^^What Dick said^^^^^^

We have been RVing for more than 35 years and full timing for over 10 years. Charmin is what we use with no problems. Besides, it is soft on my tushie!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #23
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post

... the CAMCO 2-layer is not FINGER resistant. and quite thin even though they bill it as a 2 ply. (took 3 pack back to walmart)...

May the Flush Be With You
You took used toilet paper back to the merchant?🤭
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
Slotdog

M.O.C. #24012
We use charming and don’t flush it! Put it in the bathroom garbage and take it out to the trash daily!
Slotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #25
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Look at it this way. You need at least enough water added that the mix in the tank has the consistency thinner than a milk shake. The only thing taking the solids out of the tank is gravity and water. Even using plenty of water there will be some "stuff" left behind.

That is why a lot of us, at least occasionally, run a spinning nozzle wand down the toilet. If your full time, maybe once every other month. If only a weekender, maybe once or twice a year.

If you have full hookups and a black tank flush setup (spinning nozzle inside the tank), run the flush while dumping every time plus about 15 minutes after. I usually at least partially refill the tank with the flush setup and dump again every third time. IF the fluids are really nasty on the second fill I will do it again. If it is not full hookup at the park you can always leave some water in your fresh water tank and setup the onboard 12volt pump to pump thru the black tank flush system (with a check valve of course and separate hose off of the outside shower nozzle).

I know this sounds nasty but, one good way to make sure your getting the job done is to have a clear section of pipe on the end of your black tank hose so you can see what the fluids look like that are dumping. They sell those at RV stores.

Its all about making sure that you work those solids out of the tank so they don't eventually build up into something that won't dissolve and flow out. It really doesn't matter much what kind of toliet paper you use as it isn't the only solid in the tank. But it does matter a bit how much paper you use. Don't get carried away and for sure nothing other than paper and poo (you don't want anything that won't break down and will block the tank outlet. A little common sense goes a long way.....
Again, if you use a microbiologic tank treatment, and moderate water/flush. Solids buildup is NOT an issue, and blank tanks will empty without issue and flush easily. The microbes break down all solids and toilet paper within a couple hours. All of this extra effort to flush a black tank IMO is way overkill. A spinning nozzle to flush/clean a tank becomes unnecessary as the microbes travel up the tank walls and top and “clean” everything in that tank. Some tank treatments even say tank flushes are not necessary with their treatment. I’ll still flush mine occasionally as my Monty has a built in flush but I don’t always as it flushes a lot of microbes that you want to keep in your tank. Look it up! Do your research and save yourself some extra work.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #26
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Again, if you use a microbiologic tank treatment, and moderate water/flush. Solids buildup is NOT an issue, and blank tanks will empty without issue and flush easily. The microbes break down all solids and toilet paper within a couple hours. All of this extra effort to flush a black tank IMO is way overkill. A spinning nozzle to flush/clean a tank becomes unnecessary as the microbes travel up the tank walls and top and “clean” everything in that tank. Some tank treatments even say tank flushes are not necessary with their treatment. I’ll still flush mine occasionally as my Monty has a built in flush but I don’t always as it flushes a lot of microbes that you want to keep in your tank. Look it up! Do your research and save yourself some extra work.

I find this quite interesting. Almost 40 years of pulling a trailer and this is the first I've heard of this. I know about it for septic systems but never made the connection. I'm going to try this. Seems like a smart way to manage a crappy situation.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #27
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Does the Stuff stay in the Black Tank long enough for the Micros to really do their job. In a Septic Tank they sit there for long term until liquid enough to leach out into the field.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #28
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I find this quite interesting. Almost 40 years of pulling a trailer and this is the first I've heard of this. I know about it for septic systems but never made the connection. I'm going to try this. Seems like a smart way to manage a crappy situation.
LOL, good pun😝 . There are 2 brands I would recommend checking out. One is Caravan RV sensor and tank cleaner. The other is Unique RV Digest-it. Unique also makes a product called sensor cleaner which I think is a very similar product. All are available from Amazon, as well as several other places. They both have microbes that eat the crap out of solid waste and TP. Since I started using these, I wont use anything else. Read up on these. They work much faster than a septic treatment like Rid-ex. But I know some people that use it and like it. Good flushing!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #29
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Tank Techs RX [https://tanktechsrx.com/]

As they say "Totally Green, Totally Clean"