Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
What is your nitpick of your rig or its systems?

This ought to be fun.... I'll start, so far my "what the hell were they thinking" is the Ice off/Ice on switch on the Samsung residential fridges. When you want ice made the light is off and when you don't want ice made its on. Counter intuitive if you ask me. Seems to me that when I want ice made the light should be on or even green and when I want it off the light should be off or red.... kinda like traffic lights.. Green means go(make ice).... right?

What numbskull thought making the drawer and cabinet pulls with sharp square edges in tight spaces was a good idea? We swapped them all out for nice handles that match the fridge, oven and microwave doors. No more first aid incidents because of flesh eating handles.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Mine is how much flex there is in the dining slide out. You can step on the floor by the table and spill something that's on the table. There is so much movement and bounce. Maybe it's just the HC models. I'm determined to open up that floor this spring and see what it would take to stabilize it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Mine is how much flex there is in the dining slide out. You can step on the floor by the table and spill something that's on the table. There is so much movement and bounce. Maybe it's just the HC models. I'm determined to open up that floor this spring and see what it would take to stabilize it.

Rollers instead of a slide bar would go a long way to stabilizing it well.

My nitpick on ours was that Keystone thought 5200 suspension was just fine for a 12K 5er. Been fixed
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Thanks, Dave, our dining slide has rollers. The kitchen slide has just the wear bar. But I'm not sure that would make any difference. I can be under the slide while DW steps in the slide. The floor inside is flexing a lot but zero movement under the slide. It's very solid underneath. I don't know how much space there is between the floor inside vs outside. It's can't be too much. But there seems to be no support between the 2. I've checked other HC's from our era and they are the same way.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Our biggest nitpick is the whole pantry / bathroom storage area on our 3790RD (which is similar to many other floorplans). Let me list the issues:
1. The pantry is surrounded by wall panel, but the area is so large that it makes the door look miniature. HC models have woodgrain panel and trim around the pantry door and look much nicer than the Montana's. IOW, lower end models look higher end, what??

2. The pantry has only 2 shelves (3 if you count the base). The shelves are massive, so ideal if your idea of pantry storage is to just pile things as deep and high as you can go. However, if your idea of pantry use is more like ours, you might prefer more shelves of moderate size where you can actually see what is in there, and even better, actually get to something without emptying bags full of stuff first.

3. Because the back wall of the pantry is so deep it is right up against the bathroom shower, it means that there is only one small towel cabinet in the bathroom, which is above the pantry door. And, even though there is just this one and only cabinet, the door is small and only about 8" wide. But the storage inside is so deep that there is no possible way to reach inside to the far corner. I guess every Montana customer must have asked the factory to create this towel storage with a tiny opening but cavernous space so that it can swallow years of items that will go in but can never be retrieved unless a small child with a headlamp is sent in. We must we really weird to want a larger door with a smaller cabinet. Oh, and maybe we are also weird to think that it would be better to do like almost every other manufacturer who makes the pantry shelves smaller so that they can have several towel storage cabinets.

It bothered me enough that I have ordered trim and a couple of doors from the factory so that I can make DIY modifications to the whole pantry and towel storage area, to make it much more like others are right from the factory. I don't have it all figured out yet, but it will look a lot different when I'm done.

Brad
Old 12-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Our next nitpick is the backsplash behind the stove and coffee bar.
I really like that they started including a window behind the stove, that is fantastic for the light it lets in.
But whoever decided that they should move away from the white subway tile from a couple of years ago to the ugliest, cheapest looking fake backsplash "tile" that they use now should be sent to the eye doctor for further testing.

Brad
Old 12-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
We took off the blind... grease collector, potential fire hazard and impossible to clean. Needs back splash along side the stove too. With the blind gone, we're still figuring on what to do about privacy there.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
We took off the blind... grease collector, potential fire hazard and impossible to clean. Needs back splash along side the stove too. Still figuring on what to do about privacy there.
I was thinking of that also. Apparently they cannot use blinds like the day/night ones on the other windows as the fire code means it must be an inflammable material.

I agree that there should be backsplash along the sides, at least a few inches up. We do like the idea of a basic white subway tile, but I don't like the idea of either a fake plastic one, nor a full grouted tile. The following looks really interesting; real glass tile, but thin and easy peel and stick install...
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aspect-Glas...els/1000490503

Brad
Old 12-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Our biggest nitpick is the whole pantry / bathroom storage area on our 3790RD (which is similar to many other floorplans). Let me list the issues:
1. The pantry is surrounded by wall panel, but the area is so large that it makes the door look miniature. HC models have woodgrain panel and trim around the pantry door and look much nicer than the Montana's. IOW, lower end models look higher end, what??

2. The pantry has only 2 shelves (3 if you count the base). The shelves are massive, so ideal if your idea of pantry storage is to just pile things as deep and high as you can go. However, if your idea of pantry use is more like ours, you might prefer more shelves of moderate size where you can actually see what is in there, and even better, actually get to something without emptying bags full of stuff first.

3. Because the back wall of the pantry is so deep it is right up against the bathroom shower, it means that there is only one small towel cabinet in the bathroom, which is above the pantry door. And, even though there is just this one and only cabinet, the door is small and only about 8" wide. But the storage inside is so deep that there is no possible way to reach inside to the far corner. I guess every Montana customer must have asked the factory to create this towel storage with a tiny opening but cavernous space so that it can swallow years of items that will go in but can never be retrieved unless a small child with a headlamp is sent in. We must we really weird to want a larger door with a smaller cabinet. Oh, and maybe we are also weird to think that it would be better to do like almost every other manufacturer who makes the pantry shelves smaller so that they can have several towel storage cabinets.

It bothered me enough that I have ordered trim and a couple of doors from the factory so that I can make DIY modifications to the whole pantry and towel storage area, to make it much more like others are right from the factory. I don't have it all figured out yet, but it will look a lot different when I'm done.

Brad
The linen in our HC bathroom is nearly full height and easy to access. The downside for us is that the pantry is too shallow. I would have traded some of the bathroom linen for some of the pantry to be deeper. Is the grass always greener..?

We felt the same way about the number of shelves and the massive height between them. I built a shelf to match the others, removed them all, and reinstalled them in an even layout for better overall usage. DW is happy.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Our 2019HC 331RL's lay out is bar none amazing.

No complaints about LV, Kitchen, storage, bathroom or bedroom.

Nitpick 1-Awing. besides the fact it keeps pulling apart. The nitpick is when it rains you get wet coming in or out the door. The awning does NOT cover the entire door. ----Why?

Nitpick 2- that stupid door, right at steps going UP into hallway towards bathroom and bedroom. The door that houses all the lights on/off buttons and stuff. --Why? (yes husband is going to remove it)

Nitpick 3- Major nitpick is the AC Ducts in main cabin area. HUGE problem for us living and traveling in the South. Very little air passed thru---had to search and search to find a spot to find air. If you read any of my posts on this topic you know my husband spent hours rigging it AND adding cones to force air down. NOW we freeze ---That's what we need when it is 101' w/ 100 percent humidity. Thank God we had a dump AC in the bedroom. --Montana AC problem is NO problem for people who enjoy cool and cold weather.

Nitpick 4- Why has Montana decided to use Coleman MAC ac in new 2021 rigs...they are junk.

*not our first rig but our first Montana*
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The linen in our HC bathroom is nearly full height and easy to access. The downside for us is that the pantry is too shallow. I would have traded some of the bathroom linen for some of the pantry to be deeper. Is the grass always greener..?

We felt the same way about the number of shelves and the massive height between them. I built a shelf to match the others, removed them all, and reinstalled them in an even layout for better overall usage. DW is happy.
LOL, that's funny!
Our last 5th wheel did have the split wall between pantry and towel storage, and we did like that better. But, now that you mention it, I will measure carefully as the layout might be different enough to matter.

I do think either way I will do like you have and add additional shelves. Any suggestions on what materials you used, and how you attached the new shelves? (PM if you think that is better)

Thanks!
Brad
Old 12-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #12
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I do think either way I will do like you have and add additional shelves. Any suggestions on what materials you used, and how you attached the new shelves? (PM if you think that is better)

Thanks!
Brad

Sent a PM
Old 12-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #13
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Nit-pic problem huh? The chain pulls on the ceiling fan bounce around during travel and get wound around the blades. I’ve tried putting a little Velcro strap around both chains and tightened it up like a bolo tie up close to the light fixture - nope...that doesn’t work. Looking for solution to this “terrible” problem.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #14
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Nit-pic problem huh? The chain pulls on the ceiling fan bounce around during travel and get wound around the blades. I’ve tried putting a little Velcro strap around both chains and tightened it up like a bolo tie up close to the light fixture - nope...that doesn’t work. Looking for solution to this “terrible” problem.
We shortened ours. Had to use a stool to reach them anyway so shorter didn't make any difference to adjusting speed.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Electrical switches in odd locations. Disorganized switches in control panel. Water supply valve hidden behind kitchen drawer. Outside door to storage and outside services (water, cable, etc.) hinged at top rather side.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My nitpick: Main electric panel where the slide switches, water pump, water heater, and main house lights are located is way, way to high. Why in the world do they locate that panel so high, you have to use step ladder to reach the house lights?

I did reroute the wires and put a secondary set of switches lower for the house lights. Still, all the other switches ... sheesh! Way too high.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #17
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Pull on roller shades coming off, just fixed another one today. Everyone I've fixed was put together wrong from the factory.

Loose sockets in fuse box.

Pivot door in bathroom, just fixed it for the 4th time. Fixed it my way this time and I think I'll have no more trouble with it.

Thermostat off by 3-4 degrees.

TV's. 70,000 msrp and they can't spend a few extra bucks for smart tv's? Really?

Junk backflow preventer for tank flush under the bathroom sink. I eliminated all that pipe.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #18
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
1. Cable-operated slides.

2. Control cabinet door at head-strike height.

3. Cheap "poly tarp" covering on the bottom of slide floor.

4. Those stupid window shades that began failing in the first few months.

5. Crummy, wobbly dining table that is too close to the wall for a normal person to sit.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #19
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
LK luxury Kitchen -- with no Pantry
water shut off behind the res refer- seriously
peeling bathroom door
no smart TV
tank level indicators that actually work
faucets that do not squeak
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #20
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Skull cracking door that covers the control panel for lights, slides, tank heaters, etc.
OUCH !

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote