Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2024, 07:30 AM   #1
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
Unhappy Outside wall delamination whole camper

Good day. We purchased a 2021 NEW Montana 3231CK 5th wheel from our local Camping World. After removing the cover this year, we noticed about every three feet there were creases in the outside walls. I contacted Keystone which I will add up to this point they have been very helpful along with my local camping world. Keystone asked to send them pictures. After sending them the pictures they ask for me to take it to the dealer for them to give their option. The unit was taking to camping world where they confirmed that every three feet the glue was releasing and causing the poops. Also, they confirmed that there is no water leaking into the unit. They are requesting the unit get sent back to the manufacture for repairs. At this point I am waiting to hear back from Keystone (only been 4days). I did provide my lawyer with all the details to this point, but my question here is at what point do they say the trailer is a write off? We love the Montana and the lay-out, but just feel like removing the siding around the whole trailer is going to lead to other issues. We been camping for years and never had an issue like this happen to us. Just want to hear thoughts from you on your dealing with Keystone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240220_101309.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	16566   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240220_155050.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	16567   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240220_155107.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	16568  

Mikegina92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:55 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome tot the MOC. First time I've seen so much delam on a new trailer with no water leaks. Keystone obviously has a problem and is responsible. They may have had a bad run on wall panels. Yours can't be the only one. They can repair it but it might be better to replace it. Keep us informed.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:18 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Replacing the wall (or walls) is a relatively simple procedure. The walls are built separately from the rig and are added later in the assembly process. I had one replaced 6 months after purchase of the RV in 2011, You would never know.

Ideally, they will swap the unit, but if they don't the replacement wouldn't scare me. All this assumes they have corrected the underlying construction problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:47 AM   #4
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
I sure will keep you all updated.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:50 AM   #5
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Replacing the wall (or walls) is a relatively simple procedure. The walls are built separately from the rig and are added later in the assembly process. I had one replaced 6 months after purchase of the RV in 2011, You would never know.

Ideally, they will swap the unit, but if they don't the replacement wouldn't scare me. All this assumes they have corrected the underlying construction problem.
Good to see this response. I will keep you updated on this issue.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:26 AM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Agree with Carl. If they take it back to the factory, the repair will be done correctly. Keystone's call about the write off cost. I can't imagine them denying this. Won't be long before a transporter shows up to take it away. The issue will be how long.

I had a similar problem with a Forest River unit (after 5 years, out of warranty), but not as bad, just one wall. They hauled it back to the factory, replaced the wall, relaced all decals, put a new awning on it when they noticed a small tear, and some other stuff. First class service in 2012; hope it is the same for you.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:14 PM   #7
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
Well friends here you go. The claim was denied by Keystone. Their response is below. Next step is the lawyer's office.

I wanted to follow up with you regarding this PA. This was submitted for delamination. I just wanted to let you know the reasoning behind the denial. There is a huge difference between delamination and print through. This unit is showing every couple of feet this would be considered print through where the bones (studs) of the unit are showing through, but this is considered cosmetic in nature and not a manufacturing defect.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:07 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegina92 View Post
Well friends here you go. The claim was denied by Keystone. Their response is below. Next step is the lawyer's office.

I wanted to follow up with you regarding this PA. This was submitted for delamination. I just wanted to let you know the reasoning behind the denial. There is a huge difference between delamination and print through. This unit is showing every couple of feet this would be considered print through where the bones (studs) of the unit are showing through, but this is considered cosmetic in nature and not a manufacturing defect.
Are you relying on email? Are you filing the claim or is the dealer? Call and speak to a supervisor. The staffers are trained to circle jerk, but you have a valid claim. Better picture, maybe a video?
Old 03-03-2024, 02:13 PM   #9
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Perhaps the “think tank” has some thoughts to offer about using an attorney to force Keystone’s hand.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:30 PM   #10
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Is there some type of extended warranty for delam? I would be shocked if a manufacturer would address these issues after the original warranty period.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:43 PM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
Is there some type of extended warranty for delam? I would be shocked if a manufacturer would address these issues after the original warranty period.
If he has a 3 year extended warranty, it should fall into structural which is covered.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:45 PM   #12
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
I sure hope Keystone does the right thing, and isn’t falling in line with Grand Design when dealing with manufacturing and quality problems! Cosmetic or not, it should be fixed properly, because who wants a wavy side wall on a relatively new camper!

Good luck, please keep us updated. We are considering ordering a new one this year (295RL, or a 311RD)but if they screw you over, we will most likely hold off or look at something else. We have waiting for the quality to improve or at least return (pre-2019) for COVID type issues to go away before spending that much money on something that depreciates as soon as you pull it off the lot.

Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:31 PM   #13
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
If you have the time I would drive it back call keystone they will probably help with cost and meet with them in person set up a plan and time line to have them fix it.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:17 AM   #14
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
UPDATE: After getting the GM of my local camping world involved and forcing my hand of a lawsuit, Keystone has agreed to have the unit sent back to the factory for repair. Now I am waiting on the service department of Keystone to get back in touch with me for the return. Yes, the unit is still under the three-year warranty. I know some people have no good for Camping World, but I will say so far through this issue they have been right by my side and helping me fight this out.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:18 AM   #15
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed View Post
If you have the time I would drive it back call keystone they will probably help with cost and meet with them in person set up a plan and time line to have them fix it.
This was one idea I had in my thoughts.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:22 AM   #16
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Are you relying on email? Are you filing the claim or is the dealer? Call and speak to a supervisor. The staffers are trained to circle jerk, but you have a valid claim. Better picture, maybe a video?
I started the claim with Keystone first with pictures. This was done via phone and emails. I was then told to take it to my dealer, so they can look at it and also send pictures and videos. This has all been handled in person, phone calls, and emails with both Keystone and camping world.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:40 AM   #17
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:31 AM   #18
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
While at the National Montana Rally in Goshen, Indiana this past September, I met two people who'd traveled to Indiana to have walls and slides repaired due to delamination. They said the process was easy and Keystone covered the cost. I agree with Carl, the repairs are much better than returning the unit out of frustration; if you like it, repair it, and keep it!

I too, while in Goshen, had Keystone make an assessment of a crack in the fiberglass of my 2008 Keystone. I was concerned about frame flex, but it was another matter and a quick repair.

If time is not an issue, you may consider making an appointment and traveling to Goshen Indiana for the repair. We were happy we made the trip to the Rally; we had a rep assess our unit, upgrades to the unit and minor repairs done.

I look forward to reading the outcome of your interactions with Keystone!
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:44 AM   #19
Mikegina92

M.O.C. #30773
UPDATE:

The unit is all set to head back to Keystone for repairs. Now that I am with a service manager everything is going very smoothly. I was also told that if there is anything else I notice about the unit to let them know and it will be addressed when the unit is at the factory.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:27 AM   #20
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Thats great to hear! I was hoping Keystone & the Montana line were not falling off and would continue to provide the quality everyone with a Montana has grown to trust and expect. The problems experienced with components from suppliers (water heaters, fridges, AC, etc.) is easy for me to look beyond Keystone a bit as long as they still take care of the problem because they are trusting the suppliers to supply a decent product, but in house stuff with issue the blame falls squarely on Keystone and no one else. It takes years to establish a good reputation, and only a few obvious missteps to change everyones opinions, especially in todays market where the RV industry is getting scrutinized over their quality issues, etc. Your side walls is fully in Keystone and I’m happy to see they realized that and are hopefully addressing it to your complete satisfaction when its all said and done. Please keep us posted after the repairs so we know the outcome.

Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back to keystone, delamination, warrenty issue