Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
What should I use?

The LED strip lights on the top of my Montana front cap is coming off. The lights work fine, but the sticky tape stuff that hold them to the fiberglass front cap is detreating pretty fast now. About a foot and a half has come off (from the end) and is now dangling. The old tape holding it on is just wearing away. Gravity is now slowly pulling the strip LED lights down more and more.

There's nothing wrong with the lights, they work just fine. I just need to get them glued back on. So the question? What should I use?

Should I use a calking, like a silicon or even Liquid Nails? or should I use a double sided tape of some sort.

I know this is not the end of the world, like a blown tire or anything like that, but still, I will need to move the trailer in the next 3 weeks and want that strip attached sound and solid again so wind won't rip the rest off.

What to use? Suggestions if you've done this yourself on the fiberglass skin of these Montana's?

There's no reason to get new lights, as the old ones work fine. I just need to get them "stuck" back in place. Yes, once I know what to use, I'll pull the rest off, clean up the old residue tape and put the LED strip lights back in place?

Thoughts anyone before I hit the closest Lowe's?

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
I would probably use a silicone base product. Don't think liquid nails would be appropriate. Try Boles Hardware over in Pinnacle. They are close and will likely have the adhesive you need.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:35 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I agree silicone would be your best bet
Old 08-10-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay & Bobbie View Post
...Try Boles Hardware over in Pinnacle. They are close ....
Wow! Thanks for that tip! I've been through Pinnacle several times now and never noticed this hardware store. We've been to the post office (right next door) too. I'll check it out tomorrow! I love the Mom & Pop stores, especially the hardware stores! They have such character and charm!

I've been to the Dollar General in Pinnacle several times now. Hunt Brother's Pizza (Pinnacle Paradise) is just up the road a little bit. Great ice cream and pizza! Really good food.

For a little mountain town, this place sure has a lot of "stuff".
Old 08-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #5
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
You can also try 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape. It may be overkill. You may find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. I got mine on Amazon a couple of years ago and it's still available. Search for 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952, 0.5" width x 5yd length (1 Roll)
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:41 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I too would try silicone. It’s a great glue. If it doesn’t work it will be easy to t remove.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:11 PM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I used 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape and then put a thin strip of silicone top and bottom.. Knock on wood
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:25 PM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
The 3M VHB is pretty much the same product used to mount the factory emblems and trim onto our tow vehicles. There is even a pre application liquid accelerate if you wish for an OMG bond. Good advise in above posts
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #9
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Clear double-stick Gorilla tape

My 2019 Montana had the exact same thing happen last October. I went to the hardware store and compared the 3M red double stick tape to the Gorilla double stick tape. Both are for exterior and claim to hold 30 pounds. I liked the clear Gorilla better than the dark colored 3M, and it seemed stickier. I moved the strip lighting out of the way and used a spray can of window cleaner (the kind with the blue plastic top and a basically white can at Home Depot) to prepare the surface. I cut the Gorilla tape in half lengthwise to fit the lighting, carefully applied it to the groove in the front cap, and then removed the protective backing and carefully reapplied the strip lighting. It's almost a year later and no problems, including after pressure washing and brushing the cap twice since then.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #10
MichiganBill

M.O.C. #25687
I had same issue. I cleaned lights and groove they are in with denatured alcohol then used clear silicon adhesive, small bead so it didn't get everywhere. A little painters masking tape to hold until dry. Has been fine for 2 years now.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:03 PM   #11
Java

M.O.C. #30635
Great info here �� I found this thread while looking for ideas/ways to replace or fix one side that has gone out?? If it was a fuse it would likely be both sides? I'm stationary in my 3850fl and sure it was working last summer. Just noticed the other night. TIA
Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #12
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Boogie Lights sell a cleaner and an adhesive promoter that we used on our new CAP lights. Our lights are not going to come off.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:12 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thank-you everyone for all the suggestions.

THE WORK IS DONE! Lights are back up.

I used a combination of suggestions from everyone here.

I used Scotch-Mount Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tapes 1-in x 33.33-ft Double-Sided Tape from Lowes. Sorry, I did not go to the little hardware store in Pinnacle. I looked for the 3M stuff, they didn't have 3M on the shelf. And I did not want to order on-line from Amazon. I researched this stuff pretty carefully and it is indoor/outdoor and seems to be pretty good stuff. It's black, but the strip light is also black, so no big deal there.

So, here's what I did. I pulled the rest of the LED lights off and used alcohol to clean the groove on the top of the trailer and to clean the back side of the rubber side of the light strip where the original tape was. It was pretty dirty. I went through blue paper shop towels. The alcohol was in a spray bottle so it didn't take very much of that. The old tape came right off along with a lot of dirt.

I then cut the molding tape into 1/3rds. It was 1 inch wide, and thirds was just about right. I used a retractable box cutter and cut as deep as I could. This gave me a strip about 1/3 the length I needed.

I then placed the molding tape in the groove. I then placed the lights on top of the molding tape and pressed them in place. I then cut another 1/3 width and that covered the next third of the strip, and finally, pulled the last 1/3 and that finished.

After it was all in place, I pressed the lights again, all the way across, 2 fingers at a time. Everything is now nice and snug.

I then opened a new tuber of clear silicon caulking and put a bead of the silicon on the top and the bottom of the light strip. Reaching from the top of the roof, over the edge, well, my caulking skills were not the best.

But I went back with more paper towel and wiped up the excess. This also put a much thinner layer of silicon on top of the lights, on the edges, and against the side of the wall of the trailer itself, sealing them in.

The reason I opted to do this was because there was one spot, about a half inch long, on the top side of the lights that was worn and the metal was exposed. I suppose a tree limb clipped it and rubbed it, causing that small part of the light to loose it's rubber. The silicon caulking is now covering that bare spot. Cleaning up the excess silicon caulking resulted in many more sheets of blue paper shop towels. I'm glad I have several rolls of that stuff, I used a bunch of this small project.

Now, time will tell how well it holds up.

Thanks again everyone. We can put this one "to bed" now!

Happy camping! Today is August 15. We'll be leaving Pilot Mountain (North Carolina) August 31. It's hard to grasp that our time as camp host here will be over in just 16 more days!