Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2023, 06:22 AM   #1
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Bedroom slide opened enroute

2022 HC 295: had major warranty repair/rework on bedroom slide (gear jumped track) (Schwintek); actually, was told Schwintek not at fault but installed crooked. First time dealer just replaced parts and it locked up again (we follow all protocols); 2nd time, different shop R&R slide, shimmed slide for correct alignment and replaced with new parts. Keystone stood behind complete cost even though out of warranty. Did have to make an extra trip home (Denver) and back (Couer d'alene, ID). Works fine and not showing any abnormal wear on gear tracks. We were on last leg of 6 weeks and about 10 additional open/close with no issues. When we arrived home yesterday we noticed (only) the bottom of the front vertical seal of bedroom slide had an actual gap of 3/4" and it was confirmed closed before I started the 4+ hour leg home. Opened and closed doing the 5 sec delay at both stops and closed completely- no issue.

Any ideas what might be happening? I'll contact shop that did the work Monday.

Thanks
Jack

182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:06 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Schwintek inverted slide system uses aluminum rivets to hold the "Fixed" side guide block in place.. The "Float side has plastic rivets that shear off when slide is first operated and that block free floats..

I would be checking the fixed side guide block rivets...

Since the slide fully closes tight the sync of the motors appears good and the Timing of the H rack assy is good.

If the timing was not right the bottom of the slide out would most likely never close tight..

** The two electric motors on that slide have internal brakes that hold the slide out closed when no 12 vdc is applied to the motors.. I dont think that is your issue either...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The dreaded Schwintek! So many problems and causes. I have the same RV as you and went through hell getting the slide to work correctly. Binding up, alignment issues, completely stuck at an angle and had to tow it home sticking out. Long story short. Keystone used a Schwintek on an 11 foot slide and to top it off they did a crappy job installing it. The slide it to big for a Schwintek. My slide was removed and completely rebuilt by the dealer. It works now but I cringe every time I open it. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #4
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Chuck S: I'm trying to find details or better yet pics of guide blocks; do you have any suggestions for finding this. I'll be calling dealer that totally rebuilt unit tomorrow but would like to be a little more educated when I talk to them.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Your fixed block is on the left side of the slide when viewed from the outside.
There are 2 rivets for the top block and two for the bottom block. In the screen shot below you can see silver rivets on the side I circled in blue but they are obscured for the left side circled in red. This screen shot is from the LippertNow app. Download, read and look at the excellent photos, drawings and videos available there for your Schwintek slide.

Edit: I had no idea what ChuckS was trying to explain - so I looked at the LippertNow app and found this first explanation - however I am still not sure I understand how the block allows the gears to let the bottom creep out. In the screen shot it looks like the gib block is behind the exterior face of the H-column which would prevent the block from moving out. I will be following this thread with interest.

Edit 2: if the bottom gib is not held to the exterior face of the H column, and somehow it vibrates/moves toward the interior, and is still engaged in the teeth of the slide rail - then the slide will move out a bit. I’m wondering what causes the gib block to move toward the interior? Road vibration?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	15748  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:57 AM   #6
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Mikendebbie & ChuskS: thank you very much for info. This year was a busier than usual; 3 trips totaling approx 10K miles southeast, northwest and just finished central so 5er will be cleaned and winterized this week and probably no use until spring. Therefore, I won't be able to check out any repairs until next May. I will definitely follow your advise and check for issues.
Thanks again
Jack
Old 10-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
Mikendebbie & ChuskS: thank you very much for info. This year was a busier than usual; 3 trips totaling approx 10K miles southeast, northwest and just finished central so 5er will be cleaned and winterized this week and probably no use until spring. Therefore, I won't be able to check out any repairs until next May. I will definitely follow your advise and check for issues.
Thanks again
Jack
Jack, I don't understand why you don't submit a warranty claim. Your rig is a 22.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Tony, Keystone actually paid for the entire rebuild while it was in COE in early July. Entire slide was removed, shimmed and new "H" track installed. Works like new which means it still sounds iffy; but, does what it's supposed to do. After getting home from our last 3500 mile and 10 open/close trip (all good) is when I saw the 1/2-3/4" opening and was concerned as we won't know if it is really an issue until next trip in May/June 2024. That all being said; I downloaded the LippertNow AND called Lippert to discuss so we're on record that we "may" still have an issue if it happens down the road. They were very helpful and pleasant.