Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
gm1216

M.O.C. #32088
Temp winterize

I have a question. 2022 high country 377fl. Leaving for 5 days and we are talking about lows of 7 for a day or two. Going to leave it plugged in to electric, but thinking I can bypass the water heater, leave it on, blow out the lines and leave it set with the electric fireplace running and no gas. Anyone tried this and does anyone have any thoughts? Trying to avoid the whole draining of the water heater and the pink stuff as we will be gone 5 days and we are full timers.

gm1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mike,

Unless there are significant warm ups forecast during the day I would run the furnace or put another heat source in the pass through. Blowing out the water lines is also easy and provides a lot of protection.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:35 PM   #3
gm1216

M.O.C. #32088
They are talking back to norm temps in about 3-4 days. So you think blowing out the lines but leaving water in the Wh with the electric on will work? I won’t be here to switch the gas over from one tank to another otherwise I would run the gas furnace while I am out
Old 12-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
gm1216, I have the 375FL model which is the fore-runner 377FL (no loft in mine, otherwise, same floor plan with slightly larger bathroom because there are no steps going to the loft.

When temps reach that low (actually 15 degrees or lower), my Montana will burn through 1 thirty pound tank of propane in about 24-30 hours when set to around 60 degrees. If you are planning on running the furnace, you may just run out of propane before you return home.

If you are going to go ahead and blow out the lines, then go ahead and pop the anode rode / drain plug on your water heater too. Just take it out and let it drain. Once its finished, insert the plug/rod. What little bit of water sits on the bottom of the tank will not hurt anything if it freezes. This way, all your water lines have some protection. Make sure you dump your tanks too.

Running electric heat inside the coach will not do anything for the water heater, holding tanks, or water lines located in the underbelly. That is what the furnace is suppose to do, keep everything under the floor from freezing.

At 7 degrees, with no heat, everything inside the trailer will be frozen solid within a few hours. I know. I set out cups of water and test how long it takes them to freeze up. When it's THAT cold, with no heat, it does not take long at all.

Personally, I'm not a fan of blowing only. I have always used the RV antifreeze pink stuff. I've done it so many times, and sometimes several times in one winter season traveling from freeze zone states to non-freeze zone states I can't even count any more. For me, it's RV antifreeze. If it be 1 hour of cold in those temps or 100 days.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:50 PM   #5
gm1216

M.O.C. #32088
Thank you for your reply. If I blow the lines and leave the water in the water heater and leave it on as I have the electric versus gas, to keep the water hit versus draining.do you think it will hold?
Old 12-19-2022, 08:08 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm1216 View Post
....leave the water in the water heater and leave it on ...
In theory, yes this should work.

But, with the water drained from the lines, your heater in by-pass, and the heater running on electric, what happens if there is a power outage!

Face it, when temps get that low, the risk of power outages increases. Ice on electric lines, power overload on the grid, winter storms, any number of things could cause the power to go out.

Where I live (in the country), it seems about 4 times a year someone runs their car into a power / utility pole that knocks out power for several hours. It happens in hot weather and even sub zero weather. So, do you want to run the risk of a power outage?

Also, with no new water (under pressure) coming into the water heater, what happens if your water heater over-heats. It will spew out the relief valve yes. You could loose a substantial amount of water, and the electric element is still cooking away boiling the water in your tank to oblivion.

I know, I'm looking at the dark side here. The chances of this actually happening are very slim. But Murphey's law has always been my way of life. So, I've learned to do all I can so Murphey doesn't win any more. For me, draining the water heater is the simplest part of winterizing. It's no big deal and once you've done it, there are no more risks at all that Murphey can take advantage of.

Functionally, yes you can leave the water heater on electric with water in it and no water anywhere else. But why?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
gm1216

M.O.C. #32088
All good points and I agree. Was looking at saving a few minutes, but really what am I saving. Literally takes 10 minutes to shut off and drain. I also agree on the power outage possibility. I appreciate the input , thank you !
Old 12-19-2022, 11:43 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I agree with Dutchman.
Murphys law will take over while you are gone.
I use my tire air compressor and an adapter on the City water port to blow out my lines.
I leave the water heater bypas in normal flow.
Open the freshwater tank drain and the low point drains. Open a faucet inside for air. Turn OFF your water heater circuit breaker. Remove the anode Ron and let the water heater drain.
Put the anode back in. Close the drain ports and start your compressor. Set it to 55psi (same pressure as your water pump works).
The water heater will act like an accumulator for the air compressor.
Open and close each faucet one at a time starting
With the outside shower. Don't forget the winterizing port. Blow air through it too.
Now go inside ond do each faucet and toilet flush.
Cycle each faucet several times.
Don't forget to do the washing machine pipes. You will need a hose to connect to them to catch the water.
Keep your heat running.
Make sure you have TWO full propane tanks.
Leave both valves turned on. Your auto switch over valve will switch to the other tank when one is empty. You will go through a lot of propane at those temperatures.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterizing blowing pipes out.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	13841  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing to remember, put some antifreeze in the washer and cycle it. The water pump for the washer will usually hold enough water to crack the housing if it freezes. You can guess how I know that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We ready for the single digit + the wind will pull it down to -10 here in Batesville ms, truck is pulled in, heater in the basement, 100w halogen under double trash can on the hydrant, heated hose and RV antifreeze in the sewer tank with tank heater on and on the fresh water tank. I’m leaving both grey water tanks open this time around. Generator is ready, 16 gallons of gas, 120 lbs of propane so bring it on….

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #11
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
gm1216, I have the 375FL model which is the fore-runner 377FL (no loft in mine, otherwise, same floor plan with slightly larger bathroom because there are no steps going to the loft.

When temps reach that low (actually 15 degrees or lower), my Montana will burn through 1 thirty pound tank of propane in about 24-30 hours when set to around 60 degrees. If you are planning on running the furnace, you may just run out of propane before you return home.

If you are going to go ahead and blow out the lines, then go ahead and pop the anode rode / drain plug on your water heater too. Just take it out and let it drain. Once its finished, insert the plug/rod. What little bit of water sits on the bottom of the tank will not hurt anything if it freezes. This way, all your water lines have some protection. Make sure you dump your tanks too.

Running electric heat inside the coach will not do anything for the water heater, holding tanks, or water lines located in the underbelly. That is what the furnace is suppose to do, keep everything under the floor from freezing.

At 7 degrees, with no heat, everything inside the trailer will be frozen solid within a few hours. I know. I set out cups of water and test how long it takes them to freeze up. When it's THAT cold, with no heat, it does not take long at all.

Personally, I'm not a fan of blowing only. I have always used the RV antifreeze pink stuff. I've done it so many times, and sometimes several times in one winter season traveling from freeze zone states to non-freeze zone states I can't even count any more. For me, it's RV antifreeze. If it be 1 hour of cold in those temps or 100 days.
what happens when the water in the heater evapoates and the heat is on, it will burn up the element, drain it out
chessera2527 is offline   Reply With Quote