Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #21
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsjeeprolet View Post
Good thing I checked. The kitchen cylinder is quite a bit shorter by 11”.
I had it out in under an hour. Got very dirty though.
I’ll keep you posted on what I find.
This is why you don’t leave your slides open all the time. If you do make sure to coat them with some sort of corrosion preventive.

Yes you definitely need a new rod. I found some cylinders like that on Ebay, but shorter rods. An extension would work or a take a longer rod from another cylinder and put it in the short cylinder.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #22
Scottsjeeprolet
Established Member

M.O.C. #22133
Well got the new cylinder installed and bled. The pump is still not working properly. Not building enough pressure to move the slides.
Gonna bits the bullet and buy one I found on EBay.
Picture of cylinders side by side and the extension, I used a coupling nut and Red Loctite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72F95EA7-B520-4AA0-AE87-DB97D41503E6.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	7290   Click image for larger version

Name:	01E04A48-23A4-493C-AB2E-17E533981A26.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	7291  
Old 09-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #23
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Well got the new cylinder installed and bled. The pump is still not working properly. Not building enough pressure to move the slides.
Picture of cylinders side by side and the extension, I used a coupling nut and Red Loctite.
Was it a Dewald pump on EBAY? If not, how are you going to connect the manifold with the valves and emergency hand pump?
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #24
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Quote:

That looks good. Lippert has test procedures posted to see if any other cylinders are bypassing. After looking at the piston seal in my kitchen slide, only half there, I decided to replace all 3 cylinders.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #25
Scottsjeeprolet
Established Member

M.O.C. #22133
I found the culprit!
So I disconnected the lower slide hoses and just ran the bedroom slide. Wouldn’t hardly move and wouldn’t build any pressure. So the switched the hoses and just ran the lower end and the kitchen and living room went right out and the pump maintained pressure when closed.
So just ordered another slide cylinder for the bedroom.
The culprit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E7CA4838-A5B2-49B7-B304-40EC0285E5A5.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	7294  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #26
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Yep, that's it. You needed to get rid of the rusty one too.
Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #27
Scottsjeeprolet
Established Member

M.O.C. #22133
Fixed it! Works great now.
I did have to cut 1” off the end of the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E943F4F-ED8B-4CE5-AFB2-5DD81A3670D5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	7304  
Scottsjeeprolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #28
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Looks just like mine except for extra bracing I added to the slideout wall years ago when the bed became detached from the slideout.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #29
Scottsjeeprolet
Established Member

M.O.C. #22133
Being in the pump business I should have known it wasn’t the pump.
So if you are having slide issues here’s here’s the simple way to test them. The fitting sizes are a 1/4 JIC. Get two 1/4 jic caps then you can isolate the bedroom slides from the lower slides. You can then see if the slides work. My bedroom would only go out a foot or so, but when I isolated the bedroom slide and ran the lower slides they worked fine.
I also got two test port fittings (1/4 jic )and gauges.
Hope we learned something from this. I think I’ll keep my Montana for a couple more years.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:05 AM   #30
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Our 2002 3280RL main slide keeps creeping out when stored, and I have fluid leaking into the tray, so I started the hunt for the elusive seal kit 800176 to fix it. I think it would be easier to find big foot than information on this seal kit!

LCI no longer supports this part, and the internet wasn’t helping. I called LCI and got to speak with Michelle. She was outstanding! She willingly went down the rabbit hole with me and was able to cross reference things to get me a document that at least gave me the sizes for each of the seals so I can try to source them individually!

This has been a pain in the a$$! Hopefully by adding these documents in one spot my pain makes this easier for someone else traveling this same road.

Now I just have to source the seals. If I can get them, I’ll post the part numbers to whatever the current replacements end up being.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pg_82_s0523.pdf (1.04 MB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf Dewald Pump Seal Size.pdf (66.5 KB, 99 views)
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #31
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I had a bad case of slide creep. About a year ago. Found good used Dewalt pump on Ebay. Needed to switch large reservoir from old pump to new. Took it to a hydraulic repair shop. They switched tanks, and replaced seals and o rings. They had all of the parts in stock. Eventually I also rebuilt the 3 hydraulic cylinders, and system works like new. No more slide creeping.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:57 PM   #32
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttman View Post
Our 2002 3280RL main slide keeps creeping out when stored, and I have fluid leaking into the tray, so I started the hunt for the elusive seal kit 800176 to fix it. I think it would be easier to find big foot than information on this seal kit!

LCI no longer supports this part, and the internet wasn’t helping. I called LCI and got to speak with Michelle. She was outstanding! She willingly went down the rabbit hole with me and was able to cross reference things to get me a document that at least gave me the sizes for each of the seals so I can try to source them individually!

This has been a pain in the a$$! Hopefully by adding these documents in one spot my pain makes this easier for someone else traveling this same road.

Now I just have to source the seals. If I can get them, I’ll post the part numbers to whatever the current replacements end up being.

Any hydraulic shop can rebuild just about any cylinder so long as the chrome on the shaft is good and the cylinder isn't to badly scored. Cylinder packing is pretty standard. That said it might be cheaper to replace it..
Old 07-30-2023, 08:24 AM   #33
Jeff and Deb
Established Member

M.O.C. #23269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttman View Post

Were you able to source the seals? I tried looking them up based on the information of the sheet you were provided but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #34
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Deb View Post
Were you able to source the seals? I tried looking them up based on the information of the sheet you were provided but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks,
Jeff
I originally tried to source the seals online, but no one place had them all.

I found a local hydraulic repair shop and he rebuilt the pump and had all but 2 seals in stock. He actually told me to come watch when I went to drop off the pump, and had me watch in the event I ever had to do it again myself. He only charged me $100. I tipped him $50 for the class and the pump lesson, answering my questions, getting me fixed up quickly, etc., and I was in and out in about 1-1/2 hours since he was teaching me things the whole way. He did not have the two seals for the tank in stock, so I went to a local shop and was able to get the seals from a local shop, and put the tank back on myself. I took my old seals and the schematic into the local shop and they gave me exactly what I needed, it has been leak free every since. It take me forever to bleed the air out. Manual says run the slides in and out 4 or 5 times, but I kept having slide creep. It took me 3 different camping trips with a 5-7 in and out cycle per the manual after we got home to get it to a point that has stopped my slide creep. Hope that helps.

Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 05:35 AM   #35
Jeff and Deb
Established Member

M.O.C. #23269
With the drawings that Ttman provided I was able to source all seals for the Dewald pump at my local hydraulic shop for ~$75 (they do ship). If anyone is interested the shop is Devine Hydraulics in Uncasville CT.

Tags
dewald, lippert hydraulic system