Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2023, 12:57 AM   #1
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
RV Inspection

Hi, has anyone used a certified RV inspector? I’m buying a new Montana and want it inspected. Wondering how much I can expect to pay?
TIA,
Lynne

Thank you everyone for all of the information I will have to see what I think once I leave the dealer in person we’ve been doing it over the Internet. He seems pretty good but he’s a salesman lol. Also I am learning my way around the site so if my things are not in the right place please forgive me hopefully I’ll figure it out soon

Lynneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:32 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
This is what I learned from 1 hours worth of searching the subject. I knew ZIP about the availability or costs of RV inspections before I read your post. You should do the same thing I did for your own research.

Go to our sister forum IRV2 (you can log in using your credentials from this forum) and use the GOOGLE SEARCH bar to search the forum “cost of rv inspection”. You will get many results mostly about motorhome inspections but it is interesting reading. Motorhome inspections are more expensive than a fifth wheel inspection. Like many things you purchase - you can pay for many different “degrees” of inspection. I came away thinking motorhome inspections run $600 to $1100 or more. I did not see many threads on fifth wheel inspections, but my guess would be $100 for a quick go-around, to maybe $400-$500 for a thorough 4-6 hour inspection + one hour to write a report that would include photos.

Do the same search for this forum…search and read.

I learned about the National RV Inspection Association and certified inspectors (nrvia.org). They have an “inspector locator” map on their website and there are 2 inspectors located near you. Call or email them for more info and a quote.

You can also do a search on your web browser for RV INSPECTORS SOUTH DAKOTA and you will get a longer list of possibilities to contact.

I came away thinking you should budget $300 to $500. Contact several companies from your search and let us know what you find out. Here is a screen shot from the NRVIA map search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBF92960-A070-4464-B627-6C5836400A10.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	13899  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:48 AM   #3
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Mikendebbie, thanks for the info! I will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Found this $449
https://lemonsquad.com/used-car-insp...SAAEgJgpfD_BwE
Old 01-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Off topic: Personally, I don't put any value in inspectors. Why? Every try to sell a house and the potential buyer wants an inspection? The inspector comes out and does the inspection and find x, y, and z items don't meet his satisfaction. He writes it down on his final report. The report is given to the potential buyer. They buyer says if x, y, and z are fixed to expectations, they'll take the house. Now the seller (me) takes the time and the expense to fix x, y, and z and submits proof of the repairs or fixes or changes back to the real estate agent who sends it on to the potential buyer.

The potential buyer is now satisfied and proceeds to get the loan. Their loan is denied. The deal is off.

Along comes the second potential buyer. Again, another inspection (a different inspector). This time the "inspector" sees that a, b, and c are needing attention and the expectation is the seller will make those corrections, changes, or fixes.

So, the thing that drove us batty was, why didn't the first inspector also identify a,b, and c when he identified x, y, and z? The answer is, because each and every "inspector" is different. There are no "standards" in this industry. What one "inspector" identifies as "item" another one may just skip over completely.

True story: The first inspector caught that, in the attic of the house, there was a Romax connector missing at a wiring junction. The wire ran into the metal box, but the round metal thing that surrounds the wire in the hole and screws down tight was missing. No problem. Easy fix. I did it myself, and took photos that the thing was fixed. .... But, in my own crawling around in the insulation in the attic, I found a second connection. And it did not have the Romax connectors either. I let it go.

That first potential buyer went belly up. Their loan did not go through. Second inspector? He completely missed the second junction also. I didn't say anything. I did not want to do the work again. The house sold. As far as I know, to this day, that wire junction in the attic of that house, still does not have that Romax connector on there.

That was only 1 of several small items the house got pinged for, and the first inspector missed a bunch of stuff the second one spotted. Some items, the second potential owner said, "ah! who cares! That doesn't need to be fixed." They were right decent about everything.

Inspectors? I wouldn't waste my money on them. And the RV industry is even more "loosie goosie" than the housing industry.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Off topic:

Inspectors? I wouldn't waste my money on them. And the RV industry is even more "loosie goosie" than the housing industry.
Your entire post is so right on. After retirement from the communications industry I had a small home repair business for about 15 years. Many realtors would call me to fix the defects found by the home inspector. What a joke 90% of these inspections were. Inspectors would point out minor things to justify their charge and ignore major things either because they didn't look, didn't know, or didn't want to piss off the agent getting them work.
I was very familiar with one inspector who really knew his stuff. He did a thorough and complete inspection. It wasn't too long before there wasn't a realtor in the area that would recommend him. He was queering too many sales with his honest and factual reports.
I quit doing this service after about two years because I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of it.

Having said this and getting back to Lynneb's dilemma. If you have very little knowledge regarding RV's, and little trust in your dealership, it could still be money well spent. A very thorough PDI with your dealer should satisfy most your needs. A better choice is probably a friend with RV experience either joining you for the PDI or performing an independent inspection.
In the end it's all going to be OK and you will be entering a very enjoyable life style.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:30 PM   #7
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Ask this guy about the value of a home inspection.

https://makeitright.ca/tv-shows/holmes-on-homes/
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #8
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
The problem is I've had travel trailer for 5 years and I know some stuff to look through but with a fifth wheel and it's 5 years newer I don't always know what I'm supposed to be looking for I mean I can tell if it's obvious. Plus the dealer is in Dallas and they have also a place in New Mexico and I'm currently in Mesa Arizona and so I would go to the Las Cruces Mexico New Mexico place to get it. I just got a response from one of the inspectors that I just found on nerva and they want $1,500 I am not paying that. Thank you for your input
Old 01-07-2023, 03:23 PM   #9
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Thank you for your info I appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:54 PM   #10
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I would be very leery of paying an RV "inspector" unless I knew him, someone who knew him or something. I know of one (personally) that knows some stuff and doesn't know even more stuff. As has been mentioned, what you get will simply be a little list of "whatevers" to justify their expense. What shape the trailer is actually in will still be up to you to determine after the sale. If this is an actual new trailer you can do the PDI with the selling dealer, if not then I suppose someone looking at it for you might help but at 1500 that would be a no go for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:46 AM   #11
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Contact an rv inspector one near you or where you are purchasing https://nrvia.org/locate/. Cost depends on scope of work and level of documentation, e.g., inventorying all the equipment specs, .........costs ~$1000 last time I checked for a motorhome inspection a year ago.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #12
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Not sure where the RV is but AZ Expert on Youtube does this kind of work as well as repairs on RV's. I follow his channel and it is pretty interesting the kinds of things he gets into, discovers and sometimes repairs. Some have even hired him to move trailers and motorhomes.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 11:25 PM   #13
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Thank you for the info!
Old 01-11-2023, 11:27 PM   #14
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Thank you! Me too!