Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
SLVan

M.O.C. #31950
Fridge not working after extreme cold snap

We have a 2022 Montana High Country 377FL, with an RV fridge, not residential. Last week we had a couple days of -32 degree weather. The fridge worked just fine until it started warming up outside. We were running it on auto. Now it won't work on either auto or LP. The power is on (interior light comes on and when I push the power button the temp lights up).
I looked at the fridge maintenance guide that came with the RV paperwork, did the reset that it suggested after cold weather, but still nothting.
Any info about what to do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

SLVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:11 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
What is the current outside temperature and what is the current temperature inside the camper.

If the "ambient" temperature around the refrigerator is near 33 to 40 degrees, and if the inside temperature of the refrigerator is around 33 to 40 degrees, the refrigerator has no reason to turn on. That sucks for the freezer though, it won't kick on either.

Does the light come on inside the refrigerator? Or is it out also?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
SLVan

M.O.C. #31950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
What is the current outside temperature and what is the current temperature inside the camper.

If the "ambient" temperature around the refrigerator is near 33 to 40 degrees, and if the inside temperature of the refrigerator is around 33 to 40 degrees, the refrigerator has no reason to turn on. That sucks for the freezer though, it won't kick on either.

Does the light come on inside the refrigerator? Or is it out also?
The interior room temp in the RV has always been 65 or warmer. We live in our RV fulltime, so we don't let it get anywhere near 33-40. I have the fridge set to keep the temp at 34, but it warmed up slowly to about 45. And yes, as I mentioned in the original post, the power to the fridge is on.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Looking at the back of the fridge where the vent panels are located, do you see any yellow stains anywhere on the plumbing of the cooling unit? If you do, you have a leak and the cooling unit will need to be replaced. If not, do you see a red light glowing on one of the black plastic boxes on the back of the fridge where the cooling unit is located? If you do, you might be lucky and just need a magnet to reset the protection device.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
This may sound too simple, but can you kill all power to the refrigerator (AC electric and DC, if it uses it). Make sure everything is off. Then simply turn everything back on?

I worked in Information Technology and the first response when something went "down" was to ask if the computers were completely cold-rebooted. If not, turn it "completely" off, pull all power, yank the batteries out, and then turn everything back on. Stranger things have happened, you might try it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #6
SLVan

M.O.C. #31950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Looking at the back of the fridge where the vent panels are located, do you see any yellow stains anywhere on the plumbing of the cooling unit? If you do, you have a leak and the cooling unit will need to be replaced. If not, do you see a red light glowing on one of the black plastic boxes on the back of the fridge where the cooling unit is located? If you do, you might be lucky and just need a magnet to reset the protection device.
Mine isn't a Norcold. Would that make a difference?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is from this link:

https://thecampingadvisor.com/dometi...gerator-reset/

How do You Reset a Dometic RV Refrigerator?

One aspect about this brand of RV fridge is that pushing the on and off button is not going to do the job for you. There are separate reset buttons on different Dometic Fridges and you have to find and push those if you are going to get your fridge back to normal again.All you have to do is find the reset button and push it. Once you do you should be back in business again.
Dometic RV Refrigerator Reset Button

One of the problems with the Dometic brand is that the company places the reset button in different locations in different models. The most common location is inside the fridge section of the refrigerator.
Some models have it in the freezer section and then the two or three-way models should be reset by flicking the circuit breaker off and then back on again. Your owner’s manual is going to be your most important tool in this situation if you have not done this process before.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:17 PM   #8
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
I'm in a similar boat. It got down to -12 here (wind chill numbers don't mean anything) and I didn't realize the limits on cold usage of an ammonia based unit. Sigh.

My red light isn't on, so a magnet reset won't help. Pretty sure I gelled the coolant and got crystallization in the unit. I pulled up the service manual and worked through all the options on the administrative menu and nothing is showing as problematic.

It just won't cool. Chalk up another learning lesson. RV Life and all that.

I'm pretty fed up with the RV fridge. I'm considering a residential retrofit. I have a 2018 3950BR. Any tips on where/how to go about that? I'd never do it myself, but I don't know who I'd align to do it. (Definitely not Camping World!)

Back home, I have a guy, but I'm in Omaha for the foreseeable future. If anyone has a good resource in the area, I'd love to know about them.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #9
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Had a Big Rain in South Dakota.. When we got up the fridge said, Li oP... limit switch open... called Norcold and they said to take it to a service center about 300 miles away... We had Lots of frozen meat.. Thank Goodness we found this 'fix'.. The magnet reset the fridge..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierp View Post
I'm in a similar boat. It got down to -12 here
Back home, I have a guy, but I'm in Omaha for the foreseeable future. If anyone has a good resource in the area, I'd love to know about them.

Happy New Year!
I am not positive, but I think I read people buying from a dealer in Omaha and loved him. Drove hundreds of miles to get there. I think service too. Maybe go to a dealer. Maybe search all threads here for Omaha and see what comes up.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I am not positive, but I think I read people buying from a dealer in Omaha and loved him. Drove hundreds of miles to get there. I think service too. Maybe go to a dealer. Maybe search all threads here for Omaha and see what comes up.
The dealer Tom is referring to is Leach Camper Sales in Council Bluffs Iowa, just across the river from Omaha. https://www.leachcamper.com/
They have a great reputation for both sales and service. Ed Leach, owner, has been a huge contributor to both the Central Plains Regional Rally as well as the MOC National Rally.
Several MOC members have used them for both sales and service.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #12
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
On our 2007 3500RL, there are two (2) Ambient switches located above the freezer door on the bottom if the refer control panel.
These are to be switched on when the outside temperature gets too cold to keep the freezer and refer from freezing.
If you ever have to replace these switches, DO NOT buy them from the dealer or rv parts store.
I needed one and they were going to charge me $60 plus shipping and handling, almost $80 for one switch. I found them on Amazon 5 switches 5.75, yes $5.75 for 5 switches.
These are double pole single throw switches.
Got them the next day and was on my way.
I hope this helps.
I also heard, not all Monty’s have these switches.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:06 PM   #13
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
The Ambient switches are Double Pole Single Throw type switches.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:43 AM   #14
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
The dealer Tom is referring to is Leach Camper Sales in Council Bluffs Iowa, just across the river from Omaha. https://www.leachcamper.com/
They have a great reputation for both sales and service. Ed Leach, owner, has been a huge contributor to both the Central Plains Regional Rally as well as the MOC National Rally.
Several MOC members have used them for both sales and service.

Excellent! That's great info and very much appreciated.

Real life chirped up last week and I had to make an emergency dash back to Seattle, but I'll check out Leach when I return.

My in-laws live in Council Bluffs, which is the reason we're in that area to begin with.

Appreciate it!
J
Old 01-15-2023, 08:19 AM   #15
R Bran
Established Member

M.O.C. #31461
I’m a little late to the show but I had a similar issue with our 22 295 and the only thing that worked was to disconnect all power sources, wait about ten seconds and hook it all back up. My rv fridge began to work like it should.

As far as a good shop to use near Omaha, I second Leach Camper in council bluffs. My coach is actually there now getting several warranty issues taken care of. Get in touch with Dan in service. He is good people!
R Bran is offline   Reply With Quote