Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2023, 10:44 PM   #1
cowbear

M.O.C. #32195
Cool 2012 Montana 3700RL bedroom slide out issue

Hi all I hope you can help me.
I bought a 2012 Montana 3700RL it needs some work so I am going to do a lot myself. I took it to the service dealer who checked it out and all the issues are cosmetic except for one. this camper has a super slide for the bedroom, wardrobe and washer/dryer.

when i bought it the front part of the slide would work its way out while towing it. so the dealer did an assessment and determined that the chain was broken. so after waiting over 6 months for the chain to come in the put it in but then said it would take an additional 3 hours to open the wall and adjust the cables as they have come off the pully. I thought that was odd since I already paid them to do an assessment. can anyone point me to some where that I can figure out how do to this? I also have another slide that is not aligned and have to just re align it. but any help is apprefiated

cowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Hi to another 2012 3700RL owner!

You have a BAL cable slide. There are lots of videos on You Tube and even here on replacing cables, adjusting them and maintenance. Replacement cable kits are available on Amazon. It is best to replace a cable before it breaks or comes off a roller. It can be done by attaching the new cable to the old cable and pulling it through.

Once the cable breaks or jumps off a roller there is more work involved. You have to remove the fascia and trim around the slide to be able to reach the various rollers as there isn't any room at either end of the slide. I had one dealer charge 5 hours to replace a broken cable. Fortunately extended warranty paid for it. So a 3 hour estimate by the dealer isn't too far out of line. It is something you can do if you aren't afraid of removing the trim pieces and re-attaching them.

The other slides in the unit are hydraulic and alignment of those are done differently. A Search here on the MOC will uncover lots of discussion and advice. The most common cause of hydraulic slide misalignment is due to one side or the other having jumped a tooth or two off of the track relative to the other.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
cowbear

M.O.C. #32195
Thanks Carl n Susan,

the information you supplied is great, based on the information you supplied I am sure the cables have come off the rollers so I need to bite the bullet and take off the trim and the casing. I tried a youtube search and get way too many results. what do I look for in amazon to find the kits? I think you are right and I should replace the cables.
cowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is the Amazon link to the BAL replacement cable set.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trick is to adjust the cables to the correct tension once you replace the cables. Not hard to do but follow the manufacturers directions. You should be able to find the BAL adjustment instructions on the web. Either in textual format or You Tube. If not, let us know.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:35 PM   #5
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
The first ones that popped up for me were videos from the BAL slide manufacturer. Lots of good info. https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...+cable+replace

This was from my phone so if that doesn’t work for you search on “BAL cable replace”. Good luck with it.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote