Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2023, 03:47 AM   #1
Mariot

M.O.C. #32278
Looking for input

We’re looking at a 2021 high country 385br. Any insights as to problems and or merits of ownership would be appreciated. I’m too old to screw around fixing stuff. I don’t mind tinkering, but, want to avoid big problems. Thanks

Mariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:16 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Mariot - welcome to the forum. I would encourage you to read this forum regularly. This is your best source of knowledge. You can read about the various issues experienced by owners and learn how they addressed the issue. You will learn the basics about many of the systems in the unit and how to maintain everything. Don’t hesitate to contribute and ask questions.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:35 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariot View Post
I’m too old to screw around fixing stuff. I don’t mind tinkering, but, want to avoid big problems. Thanks
Based on your comment, you probably want to avoid owning an RV! They are a preputial work in progress. Lots of enjoyment but also lots of work.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:05 AM   #4
Mariot

M.O.C. #32278
Looking for input

I’ve owned RV’s for quite some time. I understand that they require maintenance. I’m just trying to avoid major problems that seem to happen consistently with this model.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:41 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Considering you are looking at a 2021 model, are you purchasing used or new (never titled still at a dealership). If used, then find out why the previous owner dumped it. If it was a compulsive Covid time period purchase and they have now just lost interest and trying to get out from under their loan, that's one thing. However, if they dumped it because it's got problems, like bent axles, bent frames, cracks in the sides, appliances that are problematic, .... that's an entire different matter. Find out it's history. If it's been well maintained (used), then chances are the "bugs" have all been fixed and now it's more reliable than when it was first manufactured. You just need to find out. Every RV is completely different.

If the camper has never been titled and sitting on a dealer lot for over 2 years, then I'd highly question why also. Is it just an unpopular model, or did other detect issues with this specific camper and walked away from it. If this is a new, untitled 2 year old model, then a through inspection of the camper is your best avenue. And being a prior RV owner yourself, you are your best inspector. You know what to look for.

Regardless, new or used, check the tires carefully. Make sure they are good.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:09 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Really difficult to give a meaningful answer to your question. Yes, there are often posts about problems, sometimes significant, with Montanas. Same goes for any other brand including so called high end or luxury model RVs if you read other RV forums. But people are far more likely to post about problems and issues than about how they rarely have any issue of any kind. As far as I know there is no data as to what percentage of owners of any brand have any significant problems. But even if say 5% of owners of a particular brand or model have a major problem, and post about it, then it begins to give the impression that that particular brand or model is problem prone, even though 95% are having little to no problems. It is really a matter of luck of the draw.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:40 AM   #7
Mariot

M.O.C. #32278
Insightful, and I’m sure correct. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
Mariot

M.O.C. #32278
Good info. Thank you. The owners are neighbors at our campground, and seem like nice people. Unfortunately, we’re in northeast Ohio, so getting into see it is a problem this time of year.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Since you've owned several RV's I have to assume you've had to deal with a new RV. The rule of thumb is buy it new off the lot and spend the better part of the first year fixing things under warranty. Typically all the major bugs are worked out after that point. You will always be fixing thing since you're pulling your house behind you on the highway.

On the newer units the problem is Covid, lack of qualified skilled labor, increased demand, lack of parts, build quotas, etc.

Combine that with the fact that people buy a rig and don't use it but a couple times a year or park it and full time. It takes longer to find and fix the bugs. I purchased my Monty last February and it's been out 14 times.

So the point is ask the sellers about the use and repair history. That will give you a gauge.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:06 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariot View Post
I’ve owned RV’s for quite some time. I understand that they require maintenance. I’m just trying to avoid major problems that seem to happen consistently with this model.
All of these RVs are basically the same. Trouble with one model will be found in all. If you are looking for a camper that has no problem forget it. It doesn’t exist.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
What are the typical issues you've heard about for this particular model? As has been stated, problems are a percentages or odds game. You can have them with any trailer made by any OEM. Sure, Montanas have them, but they tend to be a smaller percentage than other brands. If the current owners will be completely honest with you then you might know exactly what they've dealt with...or are still dealing with.

The only thing that initially gives me pause is the fact that it's a 2021. That was built during the industries worst production year...for everyone...due to reduced or green workforce compounded by a ridiculously high demand. The dealership complaints during that time were rampant. Sure, you can still get a well built 2021 model year but the odds of problems are way higher for that year.

It's a buyer beware market. So do all of your homework and ask all of the questions before signing on the dotted line
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #12
Mariot

M.O.C. #32278
Input

Thank you everyone! Many great suggestions. Appreciate the help. I know it’s a hit and miss prospect, and I’m glad I joined this group. I would say we’re very close to pulling the trigger on this one, and am truly grateful for all the replies
Old 01-27-2023, 12:51 PM   #13
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Since you are looking to buy this unit from your neighbors, I'm assuming there is no warranty included? I would suggest looking for an aftermarket warranty and trying to shake out all of the issues you can during the warranty period.

A good thorough inspection on your part would also be a good idea. Thoroughly check all mechanical systems like hydraulics, water, electrical, drains; even though it's January, check the AC thoroughly.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote