Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2023, 11:25 PM   #1
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
Camping 2023

Just curious what the future holds more or less camping in 2023

ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The future is in your hands. It will be whatever you make of it.

If you are worried about the world and all that is happing, then stay home. That's your future.

If you are not going to let the cares of this world hold you back, then ... Go Forth and Conquer! It's your call!

The bottom line is, the person who does nothing, gets nothing.

The person who at least "attempts" at something may fail, but at least he made an attempt that made an impact on his world. If he "succeeds", then he has gained everything.

It's all a matter of how much you let "fear" and "uncertainty" control your life.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dutchmensport.
You sound just like what I was told when I started my business. A friend said if you fail everybody will laugh at you but they never tried.
If you wont a nice camping season you haft to get out and make it happen. Ain’t nobody going to do it for you.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4me View Post
Just curious what the future holds more or less camping in 2023
More! At least every 3 weeks to justify spending all this $$$$ on this rig!
Old 01-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I agree with the ideal that if you don't make an effort to do something, you'll never know if it could be done. However ... it has become apparent to me that some on the MOC have way more jars of cash buried in the back yard than others so it'll take longer for them to feel the pinch. We still get out and about, but to a lesser degree than say pre 2020. We just can't do multiple 3000-4000 mile trips with the fuel bill alone ending up at@ $1200 - $1600. We decide on one big trip a year and then do some smaller trips to corps lakes say within 300 miles from home. Which brings up a growing issue that really chaps my behind. For any of you that use Recreation.gov or Reserveusa to book camping sites at corps or state lakes you know about the "rolling 6 month booking window". People have started booking nice sites week in week out well in advance of those dates just to get their favorite sites. They don't know if their schedules can make all those dates, but they book them anyway and either cancel just before the dates or just eat the reservation fee. (If you have the golden age pass it's 1/2 price at any corps lake). We have sat at several campgrounds that online say they are booked solid, yet boots on the ground experiences show many sites sit empty for days on end. The park rangers know this is going on but decline to do anything about it. It used to be if you were not on site by 24 hours of the first night's stay, you forfeit the reservation and someone else could camp there ... that's no longer enforce that I can see. Summing all this up ... you can still get out and go, but it's going to cost you more, most reservations are becoming harder to make, and it just doesn't seem as carefree an adventure as it used to be.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:49 AM   #6
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
We've approached the last several years (including the lock down nonsense) the same as the last 15 years. This coming year will be no different unless the good Lord has another plan for us.

We already have around 7 weeks booked for '23 and will add several long weekenders if possible. No promise of tomorrow so we're not waiting. We're traveling and camping while we can.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Now that we are fulltimers we find that you need to book in advance and you will get where you want to be. We are staying in places longer (Monthly) to save a little on fuel and campground fees, we find it gives you more time to see the sights you may not get to in a week. Here in Arizona we boondocked for 2 weeks in December and wanted to come back to the campground we were at in Jan. They told us January and Feb must be booked together because they are usually Full in those months. Well, we called back and got January booked, but we dont see the campground close to full. As a matter of fact, it looks about average, we counted about a third of the sites empty. I believe the fuel costs are keeping some at home.
you shouldn't worry what you have no control of! We started with nothing and still have most of it! Get out and enjoy life, it is way too short!
Old 01-19-2023, 12:25 PM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Just Do It! Hmm...I've heard that before. We're retired and there's still no cheaper way to get away and see other places than camping. We currently have about 10 weeks already scheduled and, Lord willing, will plan some more before we're done. I understand the pinch of inflation and there are always other folks with more disposable income than us with more expensive trailers and newer trucks, but that won't keep us from getting out together and enjoying new places and sharing new experiences as long as God gives us the strength to do it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dieselguy is right. Most members here have a very nice fixed income. You can’t buy a new Montana and diesel pickup making minimum wage. And most are at the age we are on a fixed income. That is all the more reason to enjoy your time because like a old neighbor told me “boy we aren’t guaranteed another minute”.
Lynwood
Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 PM   #10
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
Smile

I agree with all of the above posts lets go camping and get to see this great country
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:28 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Perhaps the title of the thread should have been, "What adjustments are you making to your camping plans for 2023 that you normally do not do?"

If that is more in line with the OP's question, then that's a different matter.

No! I am not letting world politics or the world economy change anything I am "planning" for this year. We have some personal events happening that is altering our camping schedule for early this year, and based on the outcome of that, this is kind of delaying scheduling for a while.

We have started making reservations, and I am already scheduled for a camp host position for August 2023, and hoping I'll hear final word back for another host position. Until the "personal event thing" is over and I hear something (one way or the other) on the second camp host, we're hesitant to book reservations and then later end up canceling them (because we'd rather do the camp host position).

So, in our case, it's not world politics or world finances that's affecting us this year. We go camping as much as we can. If we can't get into one of our more "favored" parks, we simply keep searching until we find somewhere we can go. Because for us, it's not so much about the actual location (as long as it's a state park) as much as it is, we are "out there" camping somewhere.

We have only 1 hobby, we are RVers. We've both worked HARD all our lives. We've not spent money wildly over our younger working years. Our philosophy has always been, bills first, food second, everything else third. We don't use alcohol or tobacco or any kind of illegal drugs. We don't do concerts, go to bars, or gamble. We have always calculated our finances, provided for our children, and on many, many, many occasions, done without things to ensure a solid future.

We have, in the past, been in financial straights and had no clue how we'd get through some financial situations. But somehow, we always did. We made some life-long choices that we are now reaping the benefits from. At one point in my life, I was working 3 jobs (all at the same time), and my wife was working 2. We had 2 kids grade school age, and in debt so bad, we saw no way out. Bankruptcy was NEVER an option. Selling our house and using the profits from the house was! And we did. Sometimes, there were some REALLY hard decisions. My wife and I did not come into this world with a silver spoon in our mouths. We fought, we clawed, and scrimped, (we were even on county food assistance for a short while). But we also had the drive, determination, and bull headedness about to use those times of struggle to turn things around .... hard financial decisions, but in the end ... we're living a good life now. We made wise decisions and never compared our lives to others and never had any envy for anyone that had more than we did.

Over the course of my life, I changed "careers" (not just jobs, but actual "careers") 4 times in an effort to reach a better lifestyle. Each change was a little more successful than the one before. I wasn't going to settle for minimum wage and I got real tired of working 3 jobs at the same time and never seeing my 2 kids.

After a lifetime of struggle, fighting, and clawing, ..... yea .... I'm now living the life style I always dreamed about.

What about 2023? In my world, nothing is changing for me. I have learned from past experiences that adversity or advancement, neither is a reason to stop and simply quit! As always, whatever 2023 throws at me and my wife, we will use it to somehow make life a positive experience for us.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:26 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We went to Alaska in 2014. Looking back on the cost of diesel, it’s about the same now as then (within $.50/gal). We can offset that by doing more boondocking. It will be interesting to see how crowded it will be there.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:45 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I'm still working so all my trips are relatively close. I might go through 2 fill ups per trip. Some trips only 1. If I was retired I'd be traveling longer distances. That would be different story.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:16 PM   #14
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
Just booked three major trips for spring and summer and every other weekend all summer long down at our cranberry bogs….. she calls it the country house.. lol!!
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:22 PM   #15
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
RV Resorta are relatively full so far this year in CA and AZ but you can still make reservatios.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #16
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
More! At least every 3 weeks to justify spending all this $$$$ on this rig!
Anyone ever see a Brinks truck following a hearse (or RV) ?????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #17
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Cancelled a trip last year in protest of fuel prices. Only went on short trips. RV didn't get used much.

This year we are going on a 700 mile RT for a week regardless. Going to a campground we are familiar with but have not been there for 5 or 6 years.

17 months (God willing) until I can retire... Then I am out of this frozen tundra in the winter...at least for a couple of months!

To answer the OP... about the same schedule this summer here.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:38 AM   #18
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
If you’re planning on going to Rocky Mountain national Park, Moraine, campground is close for the year for rebuilding.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:46 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
If you’re planning on going to Rocky Mountain national Park, Moraine, campground is close for the year for rebuilding.

That is one of my favorite campgrounds.
Lynwood
Old 01-27-2023, 05:12 PM   #20
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
You will make your own the camping should be great this year!
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote