Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2023, 09:16 AM   #1
David W Terry

M.O.C. #28993
Hydraulic slides

2018 38' Montana Legacy
While stored, my slides start creeping out 4-10". What is needed to correct problem?

David W Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All slides, or just one? It's usually the bedroom slide as it's usually the lightest and has the least moving resistance. Assuming you have noticed no leaks and the reservoir is within 1" from the top when all slides are in and all landing gear are up ... you might have air in the system, or you have a slide cylinder piston seal leaking internally. Since it's winter (cold) and it's been in storage a while, you may get lucky and simply cycle the slides completely in and out 3-4 times. The system is self bleeding this way and it also allows the piston seals to exercise a bit to limber up so to speak. Or, you may have a seeping valve/solenoid that actuates the slides independent from the landing gear.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
David - my 2018 3921FB has hydraulic slides in the living room and the bedroom slide is a Schwintek slide. You need to include your model in your posts so you will get targeted answers. Different models have different slides.
The easiet way to fix this is to click on USER CP on the upper left of this page - then click on EDIT SIGNATURE and enter your RV and tow vehicle info.

I recently had an issue with my driver's side hydraulic leveling legs "creeping" down after a retract and a long time of inactivity, and I failed to "exercise" the system periodically. My issue turned out to be a "air bubble" in the system. Smart folks here on the forum recommended manually cycling the leveling system 5 to 7 times...completely up and completely down. This cured my issue. You may be experiencing the same thing - so (as dieselguy suggested) - run the system through several cycles and see if that solves the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-01-19_12-00-16.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	13959  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
My main slide creeped. I had the cylinder rebuilt, and then the opposing slide started creeping. I had that cylinder rebuilt, and then the bedroom slide started. Had that one rebuilt, no more creeping. Keep in mind that my rig is 20 years old.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:34 PM   #5
David W Terry

M.O.C. #28993
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
All slides, or just one? It's usually the bedroom slide as it's usually the lightest and has the least moving resistance. Assuming you have noticed no leaks and the reservoir is within 1" from the top when all slides are in and all landing gear are up ... you might have air in the system, or you have a slide cylinder piston seal leaking internally. Since it's winter (cold) and it's been in storage a while, you may get lucky and simply cycle the slides completely in and out 3-4 times. The system is self bleeding this way and it also allows the piston seals to exercise a bit to limber up so to speak. Or, you may have a seeping valve/solenoid that actuates the slides independent from the landing gear.
Thank you. I have cycled my slides several times but get the same result.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
David W Terry

M.O.C. #28993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
David - my 2018 3921FB has hydraulic slides in the living room and the bedroom slide is a Schwintek slide. You need to include your model in your posts so you will get targeted answers. Different models have different slides.
The easiet way to fix this is to click on USER CP on the upper left of this page - then click on EDIT SIGNATURE and enter your RV and tow vehicle info.

I recently had an issue with my driver's side hydraulic leveling legs "creeping" down after a retract and a long time of inactivity, and I failed to "exercise" the system periodically. My issue turned out to be a "air bubble" in the system. Smart folks here on the forum recommended manually cycling the leveling system 5 to 7 times...completely up and completely down. This cured my issue. You may be experiencing the same thing - so (as dieselguy suggested) - run the system through several cycles and see if that solves the issue.
Thank you. I'll try cycling my slides and jacks again.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:32 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you've went thru the cycling of the slides several times and the slide creep still exists, I'd say you have a cylinder piston seal failure. When you draw the slides closed, there is fluid pressure but not alot of fluid volume holding the slides closed. When a piston seal leaks, it allows the pressurized side to bleed past to the extend side of the piston thus pushing that cylinder out until the pressure tends to equalize. Like I asked before, does just one slide creep or does more than one creep?
Old 01-21-2023, 10:12 AM   #8
David W Terry

M.O.C. #28993
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
If you've went thru the cycling of the slides several times and the slide creep still exists, I'd say you have a cylinder piston seal failure. When you draw the slides closed, there is fluid pressure but not alot of fluid volume holding the slides closed. When a piston seal leaks, it allows the pressurized side to bleed past to the extend side of the piston thus pushing that cylinder out until the pressure tends to equalize. Like I asked before, does just one slide creep or does more than one creep?
Both slide creep, but the door side creeps less than the back slide.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
David W Terry

M.O.C. #28993
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W Terry View Post
Both slide creep, but the door side creeps less than the back slide.
The door slide will creep 3-4", the back slide creeps 6-8". The creep is only at the bottom of the slides, the tops are still tight.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:31 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I thought I read somewhere that if any hyd. ram leaks, any slide could creep out. The pressure kind of equalizes thru out the system.
I had my brand new rig and headed straight to Goshen for the rally. Part way there one slide was creeping out 4 inches in 200 miles. Long story short, took it to Lippert and they didn't even test anything. They said it is usually the 2 biggest slide rams that go bad and just changed them out. I still had some creep but took to dealer and they just cycled them 10 times and all was well. At that time, I hadn't heard about this fix - hence the dealer.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #11
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
As has bee said, it is likely a hydraulic ram leaking past the internal piston. Had the same problem on mine and had to replace the main slideout cylinder. Since the slides are basicaly one big loop on the retract side, if fluid leaks past the piston when closed it can migrate to the extent side of other slides. Like yours, only the bottom of the slides extended. First the main slide about 6-8 inches. If I didn't stop and retract it, it then the creep would extend then to the bedroom slide 1-2 inches, and then the kitchen a little, etc. It's not a hard job to replace a cylinder, just a PITA to get to it.

Ours is also an old rig 2008 3400RL with all hydraulic slides.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #12
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Sides

HI David I had this problem one of my mail jacks was leaking replaced it and the problem went away. It could be this or one of the slide rams leaking back or out.

John
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:37 PM   #13
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I have 3 had slides on my rig. Every time there is a big temperature swing the BR slide creeps out a couple of inches. I just pull it back in.

Temps can swing 50º in one day in ND.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:41 AM   #14
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
I have 3 had slides on my rig. Every time there is a big temperature swing the BR slide creeps out a couple of inches. I just pull it back in.

Temps can swing 50º in one day in ND.
Mine is nine years old.. 3 hydraulic slides.. The BR slide will occasionally creep open while stored here at the house when the temps drop down to around 8 degrees and then warm up to .. say 35 to 40..

There are no leaks. The BR cylinder passed an internal leak test done by me. I simply fully extend the BR slide and close it. Usually it will do this a few times during my storage period here at the house. The main slides ( also hydraulic ) never creep open when the BR slide does..

Also I have never had any slide out creep open during towing.. My actions.. I simply choose to extend the one one slide and close it.

As a side note I do cycle the 3 slides at last once a month while stored at the house from late Oct to May as well as retract all the hyd levelers ( after first wiping down with AW32 ) and relevel..

Exercising all the Hydac valves, the pump motor, etc is a good practice .. IMO
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:04 AM   #15
David W Terry

M.O.C. #28993
Thank you everyone for your very informative input. Sounds like you have all had similR experiences.
I have admitted my "cabin" to the "hospital". They check things out and have not found the exact cause. They are consulting with Lippert for technical advice. Update soon
Old 01-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It has and will continue to concern me in that most RV dealerships don’t have at least one tech that has been trained and is knowledgeable in the field of hydraulics. There are boatloads of RV’s that use hydraulic power to either move slides and or actuate the level up system. Those of us with hydraulic backgrounds know that most any RV hydraulic system is pretty basic despite what the average owner believes when he looks at the hydraulic pump/reservoir/ distribution manifold/ lines in the front storage compartment. The pump turns on direction to extend, the opposite direction to retract ... no directional valves, no pilot check valves, no sequencing devices, no pressure reducers, no counterbalance valve, no accumulator … just a pump, cylinders, lines, and two or three 12 VDC solenoids to channel fluid flow along with a brain box and a couple of sensors fore and aft to make the level up system work. Why we commonly hear of the dealership tech communicating with Lippert support to figure out a hydraulic issue seems to me like RV dealers either don’t understand a fundamental requirement for at least one of their techs or they just don’t want to invest the money for training or pay for the skill. Don’t misunderstand my rant here, I’m not dinging the OP for taking his fiver into service … I’m just bothered by the lack of diagnostic skill commonly on display at most dealerships. The handful of us on the MOC always try to help on hyd issues, but armchair diagnostics without being there is difficult unless we get lucky.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Diesel guy, I agree about poor tech skills at dealerships. However, because of warranty and parts, many times dealers are required to go through LCI. We have a friend that just had his slide out come out while returning home. Has extended warranty (2021) so he will let them fix it (as would I). It can also be leakage at the valves.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:21 PM   #18
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A very basic diagram depicting hyd fluid flow from the pump (1), to the Extend side manifold (2), to the IRC (3),and then return side thru the Return manifold

The IRC.. individual room control allows you to turn off the flow of fluid to one or more hydraulic slides for operation or troubleshooting use.

If you think you have a hydraulic slide cylinder leaking internally ( bypassing fluid ) then you can close all but the one you wish to test.

Then loosen the JIC37 fitting on the IRC for that slide and push the RETRACT BUTTON for the hydraulic slides. If more than a few drips comes out of that loosened fitting then you “know” that cylinder is bypassing internally.

Note .. the IRC hydraulic lines are all orange colored (extend pressure).

I believe my info is technically sound but if someone feels the info is incorrect then please delete my post..

And thanks Dieselguy for the tidbit.l knew this but often forget that if ANY if the hydraulic slides have an internal leak it can affect and entirely different slide due to weight of slide, distance if fluid travel in the lines , etc

My method lets you test those slide cylinders without having to get access to each cylinder .. which would be a royal pain since the main hydraulic slide cylinders are up under the belly coroplast.

** Note.. if you have a BR slide (hydraulic) that creeps open from time to time your problem “could be” the BR slide cylinder OR it could be one or both of the main hydraulic slide cylinders.

If for example one of the main hydraulic slides is leaking internally the hydraulic fluid will want to push a slide open.. the lightest weight slide is the BR slide and it will creep open while the actual main slide leaking cylinder slide remains closed

Link to Lippert PDF to perform hydraulic slide cylinder internal bypass leak test…

I did not depict the Hydac valve for the hydraulic slides with this post because we are discussing internal cylinder bypass issues

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002011.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26E52F95-FBE7-4AF6-B82B-FD54F4026263.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	13993  
Old 01-28-2023, 08:26 PM   #19
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Typical BR hydraulic slide (cradle style) showing the cylinder and extend and retract hyd lines

You can do an internal leak check of that BR cylinder at the IRC instead of directly at the cylinder

Images from my fifth wheel BR slide out with Ned removed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D1331015-E2B0-468E-81B1-D9E39E5CA363.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	13994   Click image for larger version

Name:	C4000D1B-C5AD-4DC1-8622-59AE43F3304D.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	13995  
Old 01-29-2023, 08:29 AM   #20
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just curious about the IRC. In 2021, they made a change and moved the slide shutoff to In Command in April. (Two 3230’s built a week apart - mine has the shutoffs in the level up compartment, the other has separate controls in In Command and no IRC valves in level up.) Curious if they eliminated the valves altogether or just relocated?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote