Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Cover tearing

I have a cover over the rig. I noticed after a bad wind storm yesterday, that on the end of the rain gutters where, for a lack of better word, the "spouts" that stick out, are starting to make a place on my cover. I am thinking of cutting a piece of pipe insulation and sticking on the "spout" to make a pad for cover. I don't know if the insulation will stay without taping it, and also don't know if tape would damage the filon. Not duct tape, but maybe clear packing tape. Does anyone have another idea that might work?

2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hate to say this but get rid of the cover.
If you were to search the archives of any of the RV forums you will discover that the majority do not use or recommend covers for their RVs.
They can cause a build up of condensation which amoung other things can freeze and cause damage. They can also cause damage by the constant rubbing on the corners of the RV on a windy day.
RV's were built to be outside and will weather well in some of the worst conditions. Give the rig a good cleaning before storing and when ready to put it back on the road. The only other suggestion I would make is not to allow any great accummulation of snow or ice.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I will have to agree with Glenn on this one. I have seen some terrible damage done to the sides and the roof of rv's due to the covers rubbing in the wind. Just my opinion, but I would take the cover off. The only thing I would place a cover on is the a/c unit. Ice can get in between the metal slits (for lack of a better word)and expand over the coils causing damage to the a/c unit. For my piece of mind I chose to store my coach inside for the winter months, another option if available. Good luck on your decision.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I have to say "Ditto" as all my research came up with the same conclusion.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
2002dura:
We originally had the same thought as you did - that is to cover the unit for winter storage. After all, the dealerships all sell these covers and they wouldn't sell us something that would be detrimental.

To be fair and giving them the benefit of doubt, I don't know if they,(the dealerships) know this or not, but many on this sight have said that the covers would cause damage due to the whipping action of the wind. After thinking about it, one can see that this would probably happen. So we decided not to cover ours. In fact, we learned that the dealership that we do business with, bought a building near by and is using it to store RVs. So we decided for at least this winter to have ours stored inside.

For what is is worth, we would recommend that you might want to cut you loses and take the cover off. We would add, that like Montana Sky, we would cover the Air Conditioner unit for the same reason he gave.

Good luck and hope whatever you do results in no damage to the exterior of your RV.

Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
If you really feel you need to cover it... don't screw around, buy some tennis balls, cut a hole (more or less) sort of a cross as in X and stick it over the spouts.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One of the reason that dealers sell the covers is because we consumers buy them. We think that they will give our rigs protection but as all the others have said, they cause more damage than what protection they afford. I have a friend who covered his rig for the winter in Iowa and when he went to get it ready for summer camping, he found all kinds of mildew throughout the rig.

An example of what we will buy (I did) are the self-greasing axle wheel bearings. Dexter Axles does not recommend them but dealers sell them because we demand them. But, we over grease and cause grease to get on the drums and brake linings. Voila! Everything has to be taken apart and the drums cleaned and possibly the linings have to be replaced. Happened to me. I now have removed the self-greasing capability.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
Keep the cover on your unit depending on where you live. If you live in Texas like we do, it will protect your vehicle from UV damage. If you couldn't afford indoor or covered RV storage, a cover is a way to protect your 35,000.00 dollar investment at home. Mildew will form when a cover is not breathing properly because ice and snow are on top of the cover.We do not have much snow in San Antonio but we do have heat. $350.00 at Campers World is a cheap investment. Our cover on our 2955 has also torn back by the ladder because of the gutter. But the manufacture said it would in their warranty disclaimer. So my mistake! I'll pad the area next time and move on in life. Take a piece of the neoprene .75 inside diameter tubing isulation you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot and pad the gutter and ladder when you store your unit.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
We've had good experiences using RV Covers (ADCO) with no ill effects thus far. This is our second 5th wheel using them. The cover comes off next month so I can take her to the dealer for warranty works so hopefully I won't be eating my words.
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote