Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Send a message via AIM to Papa
Strange noise from converter

We have a WFCO-9865 converter in our 2011 Mountaineer that has started making a strange humming noise intermittently before the fan kicks on. Along with this we notice that our 12v lights will brighten and dim when the converter in providing power. The lights do not do this when running on the battery, just when the trailer is connected to shore power.

The humming/buzzing noise will come on 2-3 times and finally the fan will start. Am I looking at a failing converter?

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Short answer....Maybe. You'll need to check the battery voltage with the shore power disconnected and again with the shore power restored. If the battery voltage is below 12 volts without shore power, that's one issue. Whatever voltage you find with the shore power connected and the circuit breaker to the converter in the on position, may point you to another problem. You'll need to supply some readings (as described above) to get the proper advice from the resident sages on this forum.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
noisy power converter

Firestation12, thanks for the input, I currently don't have the trailer where I can easily work on it. I am thinking about removing the converter and bench checking it for function. I will post back after the holidays with any information I find.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
With the age of the OEM WFCO Id be looking at a Progressive Dynamics with charge wizard as my replacement converter... a much much better unit then the OEM
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
That's where I am leaning, electronics wear out just like anything else. People tend to wait until complete failure before replacing electronics. I worked in Network Systems maintenance and fully believe in "End of Life" use for just about any item with electronic pieces or moving parts rather than "wait until it breaks" maintenance.

I'm not familiar with PD products or multiple battery RV setups. Do you have to have a specific converter/inverter for use with series wired (multiple 6 volt) or parallel wired (multiple 12 volt) battery systems?
Old 11-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I have been running two GC2 batteries for 8 years.. This link will give you some insight into PDs product line... The 60 or 70 amp converter would be a fine replacement for your OEM WFCO and is a FOUR stage converter..

https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9200-converter/
Old 12-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
We have a WFCO-9865 converter in our 2011 Mountaineer that has started making a strange humming noise intermittently before the fan kicks on. Along with this we notice that our 12v lights will brighten and dim when the converter in providing power. The lights do not do this when running on the battery, just when the trailer is connected to shore power.

The humming/buzzing noise will come on 2-3 times and finally the fan will start. Am I looking at a failing converter?
Unless there are other symptoms to indicate a problem, it's likely just a transformer that has some loose laminations. It shouldn't happen, but isn't dangerous, just annoying. If it bothers you too much, a new better converter is not expensive.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Converter fan control board

I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting on the converter both while in the trailer and on the work bench. I also spoke with technical help at WFCO about the issues I am having. After much discussion and disgust, the tech and I came to the conclusion that the fan control circuit is the culprit. The only suggested repair per the technician is a new converter as they will not release the circuit diagram for troubleshooting/repair.

I'll be installing a new power converter before camping travels begin this summer.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
But have you load tested your batteries? Kinda sounds to me like they are weak and the converter is working harder to bring them back up to charge, only to have them drop resulting in dimming lights when the converter isn't running.

Just thinkin' out loud
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #10
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
JSB5717,

I have tested the battery under load and we keep a good battery maintainer on it when not in use. When connected to shore power the 12 volt lighting will brighten and dim in relation to the noises and fan activity of the converter. I don't have any issues with 12 volt lighting when running strictly on battery. I've even run shore power directly to the converter via a properly rated extension cord thus bypassing the trailer power panel and the problem still persists when running the converter. Even WFCO technical assistance concurs the problem lies in the converter.

Thanks for asking,

Larry
Old 12-28-2022, 12:32 AM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Sounds like you've done all the adequate troubleshooting to zero in on the culprit.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Even if you could replace the parts n the fan circuit it is simply time to buy a new converter.. No one likes to spend money if not needed. In your case your converter is around 13 years old and has given years of good service.

Yes I could rebuild that section in your converter by replacing the components in the circuit. Would I? NO.. the rest of the parts on the circuit board have seen a lot of service and are tired

While I have had excellent service from my WFCO 75 amp converter (2014) when it gives me the first glint of an issue it will get replaced with the Progressive Dynamics 4 stage converter and charge wizard

The converter is the GUTS of the entire 12 volt system and sees a lot of use over the years. Time to replace the entire converter
Old 12-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
That is the final conclusion on my part also. It would have been nice to have schematics to better understand the way WFCO has the system designed for the fan to work. Luckily the technician I spoke to was much help in explaining the circuit and and why they set it to work.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:37 AM   #14
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I have been running two GC2 batteries for 8 years.. This link will give you some insight into PDs product line... The 60 or 70 amp converter would be a fine replacement for your OEM WFCO and is a FOUR stage converter..

https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9200-converter/
I'm looking at replacing my converter in my 05 2955RL. Since replacing the OEM single group 27 LA battery with 3 group 24 deep cycle batteries last August I'm wondering if the present converter can be improved on with a PD unit and if so would the 70 amp unit be a good choice?
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
I'm looking at replacing my converter in my 05 2955RL. Since replacing the OEM single group 27 LA battery with 3 group 24 deep cycle batteries last August I'm wondering if the present converter can be improved on with a PD unit and if so would the 70 amp unit be a good choice?
You likely have an IOTA DLS 45 or 75 converter. The IOTA is a great product but DIDN'T have a multi-stage charge cycle. By adding the IOTA IQ4, a simple plug in connection (like a phone cord), it becomes a full four stage charger. The IQ4 is about $25 and might be a cost effective place to start. Even the 45 amp version will charge your non-lithium batteries. I had six 6V batteries in my 2955RL with the IOTA converter.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote