Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Florida to Tennessee questions

Hi Team!

I am looking to leave Florida for the summer season as it is getting pretty warm here. We're looking at heading to Knoxville TN for a few months (friends, job contracts, etc). We'd like to make a bit of a road trip out of it, and also avoid Atlanta. We are looking to camp a few places along the Walter F George Reservoir on the Alabama/Georgia border, or cut up US 27 to bypass Atlanta. For some odd reason, our RVlife app is giving us some weird routing that we can't make sense of, but adding about 30% more drive time and miles with some odd routes. I was wondering if anyone had gone up from Florida on 75 to 10w and then north on US 27 to Fort Gaines, and then on to Chattanooga, and if it was RV safe? There's a lot of cool looking stops along that way and I'd much rather do that than take 75 the whole way through Atlanta. Travel will be mostly on weekends, as I'll still be mostly working during the week. As always, thanks for any advice.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Andy, I've never travelled that route, but considering it is as US highway, you should be OK. The minimum clearance on US highways is 14 feet. I try to stick to the Interstate or US Highway system when travelling for that very reason.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Eastbank COE Campground may be along your route. It's on the Georgia Florida boarder.
We have stayed there a couple of times on our way to Florida. Very nice clean and quiet.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232580
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I totally share your reluctance to drive through Atlanta pulling a big rig!

I don't know what part of FL you're coming from, but I'll offer the route we take to and from Lexington, KY area and FL panhandle. If you're anywhere close to I65, take it to a little south of Birmingham, there you can get on I59 north that ends in Chattanooga. You can get back on I75 in Chattanooga and it's only about 1.5 hours to Knoxville. There are a number of campgrounds around the Montgomery & Birmingham areas, not so much until you get to Chattanooga which is only about 150 miles away. Fair warning; I59 is fairly rough in some places; my speculation is that part of the AL highway funds have been diverted to Nick Saban's salary. This is from my experience a lightly traveled road, mostly semis, adequate number of rest stops and fuel stops.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote