Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #41
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
So sorry you lost your home! But welcome to the MOC. There's a wealth of knowledge here and some really good people!

Old 07-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #42
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVer2 View Post
Thank for your help everyone. I finally got the hydraulics sorted out I made some mistakes in the first week of RV ownership: facepalm: I already thanked my wife Nell for the real turning point.She is so smart! We were supposed to disconnect the battery once we were on shore power, doh. No wonder the battery was draining. I was running everything on the inverter/ charger system. Lucky I didn't fry it.
………….
I have never heard anyone advocate disconnecting the battery when on shore power. Shore power is what keeps the battery charged (thru the converter/charger). Never disconnected my battery in 14 years, and it was always connected to shore power whether camping or in storage. I think you have something else going on. Maybe due to mods by the previous owner.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #43
BrianVer2
Established Member

M.O.C. #31132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I would not worry about buying fittings because you might as well throw away the old hose that has failed, after getting a replacement made, and a shop will have the fittings that will work for the hose that they use, which will likely be a higher pressure rated hose than the 'high quality' Lippert hoses.
It must be the heat, I now remember that you told me this before, doh. The issue with the NAPA parts store here is they have limited equipment and supplies to make this repair.

The other part of my silly story was also based on something I was mistaken about which is as I was also told; the 2012 Montana doesn't have a inverter, doh. We're using this RV to live in until FEMA pays to replace our house and belongings. I've researched the Winia fridge until I can't stand it anymore. Final decision: Replace it with a Ice and water in the door side by side 120VAC fridge which we can get from the little appliance store near where we lived before, because they deliver to Santa Rosa on Fridays and the dispose of the old fridge.

Thank you all for letting me ramble on. That and your prompt responses really help me figure out how to proceed in trouble shooting the multitude of issues and non-issues I encounter with this preowed RV.
Brian Rodgers
Old 10-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #44
BrianVer2
Established Member

M.O.C. #31132
Hello RVers'
Brrr. Things here have been going pretty well. No major hiccups with this rig this Summer. We've had our time to ourselves shrink, being replaced by FEMA wanting this and that only to tell you got what every got. Ups and downs as can be expected from the government. The President said FEMA has to pay 100%. We decided to stick with our law firm and let them make sure the don't continue to mess with us.
Anywho, the temperature reading outside (Santa Rosa NM) is 36 degrees Fahrenheit. It's not like we didn't know cold weather was approaching. We've started on skirting our RV. We have a potable water hose with built-in heat tape,

I tried to get the furnace going a week ago, back when it the temps were a moderate 80 degrees during the days. When the furnace didn't start from the Dometic AC control panel in the Furn position, I wasn't surprised. I opened the panel to the furnace found out this isn't a Dometic furnace, but an Atwood I downloaded the Atwood 8535 IV.
Directions for lighting the pilot-less furnace. Pretty much what I expected, except for line # 2
where it says go to the thermostat and turn it down all the way. Thermostat? I believe I've been all over this RV either doing maintenance and cleaning. Neither of us have found a thermostat, or a place where one might have been. Prior to this information I imagined that somehow the Dometic control system would do what needed to be done to make the air warm, doh!

Again I don't know ...
Any help would much appreciated
Brian
Old 10-24-2022, 10:11 PM   #45
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Brian I'm unfamiliar with the Dometic control system, so help me out. Isn't it your thermostat to select either furnace or AC and set the desired temperature accordingly - i.e. your HVAC control? I'm thinking I'm missing something here. I'm thinking I had the same system in a 97 Fleetwood Prowler fiver, but that was close to a quarter century ago. Way too much water under the bridge to picture from memory.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:39 AM   #46
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The screen shot below is from a YouTube sales video tour of a 2012 3402FL. It shows the control panel and the thermostat in the hall - back side of the washer/dryer closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	434B0E46-B510-4630-B2EA-7C83D396971C.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	13491   Click image for larger version

Name:	91FA349A-930D-4D1E-8A43-9EB544D8952D.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	13492  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #47
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Is it just terminology? The Dometic control panel (on which you can select AC or Furnace) is the thermostat...same thing. It's where you select heating or cooling and set the temperature. I hope this doesn't sound patronizing...but there's got to be a thermostat.

The Dometic control panel (aka: Thermostat) says "Dometic" on it which controls the Atwood (also owned by Dometic) furnace.

If you set the thermostat to Furnace or Heat (whichever term they use) and set the tempurature higher than the current temp, the furnace should come on by iteself. If nothing happens when the thermostat is correctly set to call for heat then it's time to troubleshoot.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #48
BrianVer2
Established Member

M.O.C. #31132
Smile

Yes it was the terminology, that and I've never owned a RV Fifth Wheel before. Once I got the manual and selected "Furn" I saw the the programming and thermostat were available . Furnace lit itself and put out plenty of heat to get the RV warm. That and the electric fireplace do well down to 13 degrees, when all the air leaks around the base of the slides and aluminium framed windows were working against us. We added closed cell styrofoam carpet padding over the floor slides and a few of the windows it was tolerable inside at night. Only issue now is the quantity of propane it requires to keep the RV habitable. I just ordered an oil filled radiator electric heater to cut down on the propane bill.

On another note Neighbors helping Neighbors is helping pay to level a place for the RV and move it back to our property! Also they hired a contractor to grade the place where our home was so that we can move a single wide to the site. Friends have offered us a single wide mobile home for free and the same contractor will move that from 20 miles away to our home site now that the Army Corp of Engineers has removed the debris of our house and out-buildings.

Things are looking up after 7 months of being refugees from our homestead and ranch in the mountains of New Mexico!
Thanks for all the help from Y'all for getting us safe and sound in this beautiful Montana Fifth Wheel!
Brian and Nell Rodgers