Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
Ultrakodiak
Established Member

M.O.C. #28590
Water Leak from somewhere?

I have a 2020 Montana 3120RL. I have developed a water leak somewhere in the roof, which allows water to get in above the ceiling and run out inside the RV at the back where the back two panels join just between the air intake vents. The air conditioner is located above this and I have removed the ac and resealed it, but didn’t remedy the problem. It is a slow leak because it has to rain continuously for a day before we see any indication of water. Has anyone had this issue? Where did you find the leak? Is there a way to determine where the leak is without removing roof panels?
See picture to see where leak is occuring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	943F7F38-D71E-46F2-ACA1-8E02290FBBD6.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	13862  

Ultrakodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I know you have already taken the air conditioner off sealed it and put it back on.
IF you have a Dometic AC unit...
Look in the files section for a TSB regarding Dometic AC drip pan leak. This TSB is several years old and probably does not apply to you unless (some newbe) they missed this step (drilling drain holes) when installing it.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Ultrakodiak
Established Member

M.O.C. #28590
Air conditioner drain is working good, as it runs off the roof, into the gutter and out of the spout. This is another issue. It only happens when it rains for an extended period. If it rains for a day, then the ceiling starts leaking in the area in the picture. It is getting in through the roof somewhere? I have checked the entire roof and everything looks good. Any areas I thought might be questionable, I have resealed.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:00 AM   #4
wjg315
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21318
I had a 2016 3160RL that leaked around the AC as you describe. Turns out the AC wasn't centered over the holes as it should be. I was able to find this by reaching into the AC with the cover off and feel the gasket where it met the hole cut in the roof and it was just barely covering the hole on one side. I had to remove the AC unit and fill the existing holes and put eternabond on them then replace the AC over the holes correctly and rebolt it down. May not be your problem but thought it is worth a look.
wjg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
CharleyD

M.O.C. #27411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrakodiak View Post
I have a 2020 Montana 3120RL. I have developed a water leak somewhere in the roof, which allows water to get in above the ceiling and run out inside the RV at the back where the back two panels join just between the air intake vents. The air conditioner is located above this and I have removed the ac and resealed it, but didn’t remedy the problem. It is a slow leak because it has to rain continuously for a day before we see any indication of water. Has anyone had this issue? Where did you find the leak? Is there a way to determine where the leak is without removing roof panels?
i had a similar problem with 2017 high country, ac opening was too large by almost an inch. good luck,
CharleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #6
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
i hope you get that solved... I have the same problem and I have removed the fantastic fan hoping that was it... found a small trace of wetness but still have an annoying drip when it rains hard. I'm thinking the solar panel mounts but the RV shop doesn't think that is the problem since there is an attic cross beam between the solar mounts and the leak. I will be watching this thread to see if someone smarter than me has figured this out.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #7
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
I had a leak in that same spot, after extended rain one of return vents would belch a real gusher. Dealer had done maintenance on the rear A/C, rookie tech reinstalled and pinched the seal. Ruined the roof deck above there. The 2020's also had extra holes in the A/C drip pan which were supposed to be sealed depending on which A/C was installed.
2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
DaveM

M.O.C. #27633
I have a 2018 305rl high country. Had similar roof leak around a c unit. Rain water coming thru seam in ceiling. Repair company found a c unit hole too large. 14 x 16 instead of 14 x 14. A C unit was off center with hole by 2 inches. Had to remove a c unit, peel back roof membrane, reframe opening, replace plywood and reseal. Said was leaking from day 1 but just never leaked till now. Thought I'd put in my expensive 2 cents.
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:51 PM   #9
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Experiencing the same

I have a 2019 3811MS that has leaked twice in the last couple years. Both times during heavy rain and wind. It drips out of the return air vent. It doesn’t seem to leak when there isn’t heavy wind along with the rain.
I guess I’ll check the ac seal & if it’s centered. Also will follow this thread for other ideas.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:33 AM   #10
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Your A/C seal is leaking into the return air duct. The seal between your roof and AC needs to replaced or compressed by tightening the AC mounting bolts. It will only leak when it rains.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:56 PM   #11
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemedic View Post
your a/c seal is leaking into the return air duct. The seal between your roof and ac needs to replaced or compressed by tightening the ac mounting bolts. it will only leak when it rains.

??????????????????????????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:07 PM   #12
Ultrakodiak
Established Member

M.O.C. #28590
Update 2023/02/21. Completed more troubleshooting on the water leak issue. Prior to a recent rain storm, I covered the entire ac unit with a tarp. Had no leaks inside the Rv, but still didn’t know if it was leaking through the roof seal or the internal of the ac unit. The tarp was large and didn’t allow any water to run around the roof seal. Found the proper vinyl cover for the ac unit and installed it prior to the next rain storm. Had no leaks inside Rv. This cover only covered the holes in the ac shroud, and allowed water to run around the roof seal. This is telling me that the ac unit, when it rains is getting water inside and leaking somehow into the roof, then through the the ceiling on the inside of the Rv. Has anyone experienced an internal leak on their ac unit? Any suggestions on what my next steps should be, as I don’t how person would find where the leak is? Does anyone think I should go back to Dometic for answers?
Old 02-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
That's where I would start. They talk all day with customers having issues only Dometic. There is a good chance they have experience with your issue.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:39 PM   #14
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
I agree double check the drain off the air conditioner. You get up with hose and see if you can find the source
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #15
Tater1430

M.O.C. #31149
Quote:
We just started having the same issue , we have a 2019 330RL Montana HC bought new from dealer in 2020. Did not have any issues until a couple months ago , starting leaking in trailer along the last roof seam just aft of where the ac unit rests above , it’s now covered in a tarp due to rain all this week . Just frustrating when you spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on these units for this crap to happen .
Tater1430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #16
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater1430 View Post
We just started having the same issue , we have a 2019 330RL Montana HC bought new from dealer in 2020. Did not have any issues until a couple months ago , starting leaking in trailer along the last roof seam just aft of where the ac unit rests above , it’s now covered in a tarp due to rain all this week . Just frustrating when you spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on these units for this crap to happen .
Turns out they had put the wrong seal under the AC. It was too thin.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:55 PM   #17
Ultrakodiak
Established Member

M.O.C. #28590
We have been able to do some more troubleshooting since I posted. We covered the entire unit with a tarp and the leak went away. Still didn’t know if the leak was from the roof seal or the internal of the ac unit, so purchased the proper cover for the ac unit. Installed this cover and still had no leak. This cover only covers the ac unit and leaves the roof seal exposed. Still had no leaks, so my issue is that the ac unit is leaking internally when it rains. The roof seal is good. Rather than trying to figure out where the leak is on the inside of the ac unit, I just cover the ac unit when it rains.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:56 AM   #18
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I know you have already taken the air conditioner off sealed it and put it back on.
IF you have a Dometic AC unit...
Look in the files section for a TSB regarding Dometic AC drip pan leak. This TSB is several years old and probably does not apply to you unless (some newbe) they missed this step (drilling drain holes) when installing it.
I too, suspect the drip pan needs to be modified.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:07 PM   #19
Tater1430

M.O.C. #31149
Water Leak solved

Today i removed the AC unit and discovered that the return hole is to large and the seal isn't sealing at the back of the Unit , it was inside the return opening. To make the hole smaller I installed a 2X1" and braced it with Galvanized metal plates as well as 3"construction screws, glued the roof membrane back down , re-taped the ducting with metal duct tape , laid a perimeter of Eternabond tape around the opening then reinstalled AC unit. Fingers crossed>
Tater1430 is offline   Reply With Quote