Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2023, 01:52 PM   #1
dwg

M.O.C. #23583
Denali Highway?

Has anyone driven the Paxson to Cantwell (Denali Highway) with their Montana?

Mod Update: This post moved to a new Thread. Its previous location was a 15 yea old Thread and unrelated to the topic.

dwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:01 PM   #2
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
We drove AK-8 (Denali Hwy) from Cantwell about 134 miles to i-A4 Paxson last July 23-26, 2022. Several pull outs to boondock over night. About 20 miles are paved, the rest was all gravel. Graders were out scraping surface making it smoother while patched over pot holes on the asphalt section was terribly rough. Most the roads up there are rough so allow plenty of time to travel at much slower speeds! We had a tire leak develop and chose to temporary plug it until we reached Tok for a proper interior patch. FYI - this trip we used a truck camper instead of hauling our MO to AK again.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:05 AM   #3
OldJimi
Established Member

M.O.C. #31788
It's been a few years, but I went through there pulling an atv trailer, not as heavy as a 5er but plenty of bounce on the wash boards. I wouldn't hesitate to pull mine on it, but I would drive slow because a lot of that gravel is the size of rocks and will give the underside a beating if you go fast and kick them up. The state does a pretty good job of maintaining it but it changes a lot during the course of a season. A lot of places along the way to camp.