Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
whitetrashcobra
Established Member

M.O.C. #30703
2018 Montana toilet leak

Hello
I just got my camper a few weeks ago and today had a lady i. To do a deep clean on it. This was first time the water had been hooked to and it was de-winterized so she could have water to clean. While cleaning she noticed a leak around the toilet said like it was arou d the ring. I plan to go see for myself sunday (its friday) .can the rv toilet rings be purchased at home depot lowes etc as a standard ring or are these special order from a rv parts store?
Is there any upgrades that need to be made at this point? This is my first camper so i am a newbie
Thanks
Jeremiah

whitetrashcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:27 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
RV toilets don't use wax rings like a conventional toilet. You probably need to get one from an RV parts store. If this is the original Thetford toilet, you can get the seal kit from Amazon. Depending on where you are, might even get it tomorrow. https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-1252...%2C499&sr=8-12
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
My Thetford toilet leaked, but it leaked from the top of the vacuum breaker valve at the back and only when you slightly depressed the pedal to fill the toilet.
The water did settle around the outside of the bottom making me think the ring was leaking. After checking I discovered the vacuum breaker leak.
I replaced it, not difficult, but working blind behind the toilet, very awkward.
A year later it started leaking again. This time I filled the top vent with roof sealer and taped over it with duct tape. No more leaks.
Why would you need a vacuum breaker behind an open top toilet?
I know, some "code" somewhere.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The reason for the vent to the black tank is so every time you flush the toilet, you don't have smelly air that was in the tank come into the room when the waste drops into the tank. Also, when the temperature changes in the closed tank with no vent, because you sealed it over, you can build up pressure or vacuum in that tank, which if bad enough, you could have a failed tank.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
The reason for the vent to the black tank is so every time you flush the toilet, you don't have smelly air that was in the tank come into the room when the waste drops into the tank. Also, when the temperature changes in the closed tank with no vent, because you sealed it over, you can build up pressure or vacuum in that tank, which if bad enough, you could have a failed tank.
No, this is the little one on the back of the toilet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford vac breaker PN 34122 Style  Plus  lite II.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	11601  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Now would be the perfect time for you to remove the Thetford junk and replace it with a Dometic model 320 with sprayer.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
diney49

M.O.C. #26235
I had the same problem with my 2020 High Country. Have a backing home construction I also thought it was the wax ring. What I found o that the valve operated by the foot pedal was leaking where the pedal makes contact with the valve. If you do need to change the valve get one from Amazon and not Camping World. They wanted $63.00 for the same one you can get for $12.00 from Amazon.
diney49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet, toilet seal